PDA

View Full Version : antifreeze leak

joeyds450x
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
its not coming from the coolent tank.. its not the hose clamps i already checked everything over, where else could it be coming from? it looks like its coming out ot the top of the clutch cover, is this possibe? i tightened the bolts up a little bit... i cant believe how loose they were. any help would be great... thanks

hotshotgoal30
01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
mine seems to be very minimal but appears to be coming from on top of the engine somewhere dripping down. i can sometimes see drips on the hoses if i look up at the gas tank

TNT
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Theres a leak hole at the oil/coolant pump right forward and up from the clutch. A coolant leak there means a damaged seal on the water side, oil leak seal if oil, replace both it either....check your cyl base too.

You can get a pressure tester and cap p/n 529035991/529021800 from BRP or maybe a autostore if you can find that size cap. Its a hand pump you go to 16 psi and use soapy water......

Those Oetiker clamps suck, haven't they been leaking? I think I am going to hose clamps.

MarcM
07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I started my ds 450x yesterday, first time in 4 months.

After a 3 minute ride i noticed antifreeze had leaked on the left side, below the engine and water pump cover.

But I cannot figure out where the leak is actually coming from. After Reading this thread I assume this is my problem.

Question is... will I need to remove the clutch cover to change the seals and bearing? I was curious if I should order the clutch cover gasket when ordering the other parts (seals, bearing and water pump gasket/ring)?

TNT
07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by MarcM
I started my ds 450x yesterday, first time in 4 months.

After a 3 minute ride i noticed antifreeze had leaked on the left side, below the engine and water pump cover.

But I cannot figure out where the leak is actually coming from. After Reading this thread I assume this is my problem.

Question is... will I need to remove the clutch cover to change the seals and bearing? I was curious if I should order the clutch cover gasket when ordering the other parts (seals, bearing and water pump gasket/ring)?

Yes you'll have to pull the pump and clutch cover if the water pump seals are bad.

MarcM
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks!

I am ordering the parts and then bringing to local powersport mechanic.

Would you recommend ordering the water pump shaft and waterpump impeller, also? Or do these usually stay strong?

I know it would be ideal to look first, then order parts, but...

I appreciate your help!

TNT
07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
The water pump housing gasket may be reusable if not brittle, hard, or damaged…just be sure it is put back in the groove. If the impeller is cracked or damaged replace probably a hard plastic so unlikely, may need a new retaining spring…. might need a new shaft, seals (inner/outer), distance sleeve, and bearing if worn/damaged.

I’ve never done it before, looks like a nasty one if you don’t have the seal and bearing press tools, drifts, manual, parts on hand. If your dealer does not charge a restocking fee have them look at the parts diagram and order everything that touches the water-pump assy, I think I listed it all above but have them double check.

Good luck and your welcome! :D

MarcM
07-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks... You have been quite helpful :)

MarcM
07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Ohhhh... I started it earlier today, let it idle and immediately could see antifreeze leaking from the lower front of the clutch cover, on the side of the engine.

Sound right?

TNT
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Theres a weep hole at the location I described above, is it coming out of there? Same type hole your car water pump has, if so the seals are bad and you got to take it all apart.

TNT
07-21-2010, 06:16 PM
The weep hole is right underneath the port that the hose connects to on the pump housing, if you put the quad on the side you can see....sounds like it's coming from there but double check, get under the quad while its running and see.

ScottB125
07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I was reading this thread the other day, thinking to myself, thank God mines not leaking. It sounds like a PITA to replace the seals.

This AM, I notice a quarter sized wet spot under my quad.....sure enough, its leaking out of the weep hole....