PDA

View Full Version : Which engine & axle?

MtnEX
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
OK I am looking at Outlaws again... all so far within $1,000 of each other.

I am primarily a trail rider... and often I'm in tight switchback woods trails...

I need low maintenance, great reliability, great handling and good low end when I need to go slow.

So should I get the 500 Fugi or the 450 or 525 KTM?
Elaborate....

I'm pretty sure the 500 is IRS and I'm pretty sure the KTM powered ones are straight axle... might be an IRS 525 at one place....

So with that in mind... which rear axle?

I myself would really like to try the IRS for the ride and clearance... but not if it's not going to handle well and carve through the tight stuff well.

Also, if it's like I'm thinking and I can only get the Fugi/IRS combo or the KTM/Straight axle combo.... well I'd hate to be missing out on one part or the other....

Just trying to narrow things down.

MtnEX
01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Oh... and this would be to replace my 400EX...

sheriff525
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
If you want the 500 in a straight axel it is called a predator. If you want the IRS in the 500 it is the Outlaw(2006).

Now in 2007 the 525 IRS Outlaw came out and in 2008 the Outlaw was made available with Straight axel with the 525S and the 450MXR and also the 525 IRS.

I love my IRS it absolutely rips on the trails. We do a lot of tight technical stuff. I find that there is alot of low end power in the 525 and it helps but I am wishing upon a star that a Rekluse clutch is in my birthday future. That would be awesome for trialriding!

bpjr07
01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
i don't see the ktm engines as low maintenance... its easy to upkeep but not as easy as other quads..but you get power and torque all over the wide band

just got a 08 525s outlaw as my first ATV about a month ago. no regrets it may get a lil rough on tough roads but all shocks are adjustable.

MtnEX
01-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by sheriff525
If you want the 500 in a straight axel it is called a predator. If you want the IRS in the 500 it is the Outlaw(2006).

Now in 2007 the 525 IRS Outlaw came out and in 2008 the Outlaw was made available with Straight axel with the 525S and the 450MXR and also the 525 IRS.

I love my IRS it absolutely rips on the trails. We do a lot of tight technical stuff. I find that there is alot of low end power in the 525 and it helps but I am wishing upon a star that a Rekluse clutch is in my birthday future. That would be awesome for trialriding!

Thanks... that helps me a lot to get stuff straight in my head.

I also went back to my list of what I have found available to me so far... after I posted up this question thread.

So far, here are my Outlaw Options...

'06 500 IRS
'08 525 MXR
'08 525 S

The above is in order from cheapest to most and all are within $1,000 of each other... and this also keeps me along in the same price range as the Z400, KFX450R, TRX450R, 700R, TRX700XX, etc..

'08 525 IRS... it's on up there alone in price compaired to those... even in an '08 model.

I don't know... I'm thinking even with a strong-arm bunch of wheeling and dealing... my guess is that at best the closest I could get would be about $1,700 + fees + tax DIFFERENCE between the 500 IRS and 525 IRS.

I guess someone else who has had both can tell me what kind of premium the 525 is really worth over the 500. That seems steep to me.

birdman7389
01-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Thanks... that helps me a lot to get stuff straight in my head.

I also went back to my list of what I have found available to me so far... after I posted up this question thread.

So far, here are my Outlaw Options...

'06 500 IRS
'08 525 MXR
'08 525 S

The above is in order from cheapest to most and all are within $1,000 of each other... and this also keeps me along in the same price range as the Z400, KFX450R, TRX450R, 700R, TRX700XX, etc..

'08 525 IRS... it's on up there alone in price compaired to those... even in an '08 model.

I don't know... I'm thinking even with a strong-arm bunch of wheeling and dealing... my guess is that at best the closest I could get would be about $1,700 + fees + tax DIFFERENCE between the 500 IRS and 525 IRS.

I guess someone else who has had both can tell me what kind of premium the 525 is really worth over the 500. That seems steep to me.

The 525 is leaps and bounds better than the 500.
I have both. For your riding, find a 525 IRS, and DO NOT SETTLE for something other than that. Keep looking for a good price. I bought my '07 525 IRS with what amounts to a few laps around the backyard on it. Nipples on the tires still. I gave $4500.

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by birdman7389
The 525 is leaps and bounds better than the 500.
I have both. For your riding, find a 525 IRS, and DO NOT SETTLE for something other than that. Keep looking for a good price. I bought my '07 525 IRS with what amounts to a few laps around the backyard on it. Nipples on the tires still. I gave $4500.

OK, you are east coast and have both.
But you're at the beach... ever had them in tight mountain trails? Like WV?... I'm in western NC... I ride the Appalachian mountains.

There is no question in my mind that the KTM 525 is a more potent powerplant. Probably by far.

The YFZ450 was a potent powerplant... but the setup I had sucked in the tight woods. As long as you were blazing fast it was fine... it shined... but when you weren't it didn't.

I guess what it boils down to is that I don't have to have the MOST power or win the MOST drag races. What I want is good power that is easy to use.

I don't want an engine that stalls easy like the 450's because it lacks bottom end. I like bottom end and mid-range. I want the lugging ability to crawl through what I need to or the ability to pull through a missed shift... and the accelleration to BLAST down that straight stretch around the next corner.

birdman7389
01-27-2009, 12:27 AM
OK, you are east coast and have both.
But you're at the beach... ever had them in tight mountain trails? Like WV?... I'm in western NC... I ride the Appalachian mountains.

There is no question in my mind that the KTM 525 is a more potent powerplant. Probably by far.

The YFZ450 was a potent powerplant... but the setup I had sucked in the tight woods. As long as you were blazing fast it was fine... it shined... but when you weren't it didn't.

I guess what it boils down to is that I don't have to have the MOST power or win the MOST drag races. What I want is good power that is easy to use.

I don't want an engine that stalls easy like the 450's because it lacks bottom end. I like bottom end and mid-range. I want the lugging ability to crawl through what I need to or the ability to pull through a missed shift... and the accelleration to BLAST down that straight stretch around the next corner.
I'm actually in Northern California now. I have ridden them in the tight trails and woods, desert and sand of NC, VA, and California.

The 525 is over 30 lbs lighter than the 500, thats just the motor. The 500 is fairly tame. I wish I could let you ride both, you would for sure pick the 525 IRS.

In short, the 525 KTM is indescribably better than the Fuji 500 in all aspects.
IRS> solid axle everywhere but the MX track and some say the dunes.

On the nasty, muddy, rutted out woods of NC, and rocky desert of Socal......I can't think of a better machine than the 525 IRS.

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 12:33 AM
I wish I had a riding buddy that owned an IRS.

I have spent some time tonight watching video footage of it.

Nobody can tell me the manners are not WAY DIFFERENT. I can see it in the footage with an exclaimation point. It soaks up a lot, which I like.

The cornering has about 3 exclaimation points behind it though. It looks like it is hard to slide and wants to bite and/or 2 wheel. I bet a lot-lot of that is in the stock tires though... and in the suspension settings.

What amazes me is how the thing hooks up. It's un-nerving... it almost hooks up too much. Never seen a quad pull those kind of exit lines.

On a track, it would shock me to have one come out of a corner behind me. If a man could master that and keep it down, it would be murder to keep one behind you on a corner exit.

My teens and twenties are over now though... and my point is I can see it's ride is much plusher, it's traction is much higher, and it's cornering and exit is much different.

I think I'd have a new riding style to learn.

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm actually in Northern California now. I have ridden them in the tight trails and woods, desert and sand of NC, VA, and California.

The 525 is over 30 lbs lighter than the 500, thats just the motor. The 500 is fairly tame. I wish I could let you ride both, you would for sure pick the 525 IRS.

In short, the 525 KTM is indescribably better than the Fuji 500 in all aspects.
IRS> solid axle everywhere but the MX track and some say the dunes.

On the nasty, muddy, rutted out woods of NC, and rocky desert of Socal......I can't think of a better machine than the 525 IRS.

Yeah... I only have my imagination to work with here... but I imagine the Fuji 500 might be tame like my 400EX... just meaner with the extra CC's.

But I do not know what to expect out of the KTM engine. The power has got to be awe-inspiring for a 4 stroke. I just don't know rather it's a grunty 4 stroke or a high strung 4 stroke like the YFZ450.

The IRS setup though... I have always thought it looked like the ticket for eastern trails. Heck, I actually did the paperwork on a 500 IRS before getting the EX. The deal just fell through at the end when I found out I had driven 100 miles and made the deal... only to find the dealer had jacked the wiring harness to get another owner going.... and failed to order the replacement parts.

birdman7389
01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah... I only have my imagination to work with here... but I imagine the Fuji 500 might be tame like my 400EX... just meaner with the extra CC's.

But I do not know what to expect out of the KTM engine. The power has got to be awe-inspiring for a 4 stroke. I just don't know rather it's a grunty 4 stroke or a high strung 4 stroke like the YFZ450.

The IRS setup though... I have always thought it looked like the ticket for eastern trails. Heck, I actually did the paperwork on a 500 IRS before getting the EX. The deal just fell through at the end when I found out I had driven 100 miles and made the deal... only to find the dealer had jacked the wiring harness to get another owner going.... and failed to order the replacement parts.

The 525 is very close in bore to the 450's, but has a longer stroke. It does not like to be revved to the moon, and makes TONS of power down low. Most people go up a tooth on the front sprocket, and pull it with no problem

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 01:58 AM
The 525 is very close in bore to the 450's, but has a longer stroke. It does not like to be revved to the moon, and makes TONS of power down low. Most people go up a tooth on the front sprocket, and pull it with no problem

Thanks... that post was a ton of help... made me look at the one spec I had been overlooking.... Bore x Stroke...

Here's how it measures out so it makes sense...

YFZ450 = 63mm stroke

400EX = 70mm stroke

KTM450 = 72mm stroke
KTM525 = 72mm stroke

I had almost foolishly ruled out the 450MXR... 450, short tires, etc...

Seems like I read somewhere it had better shocks than the others... I should think about it more before crossing it off... I've been known to replace stock tires and gearing almost instantly anyways... hummmm....

Still looking for a better price on a leftover IRS....

birdman7389
01-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks... that post was a ton of help... made me look at the one spec I had been overlooking.... Bore x Stroke...

Here's how it measures out so it makes sense...

YFZ450 = 63mm stroke

400EX = 70mm stroke

KTM450 = 72mm stroke
KTM525 = 72mm stroke

I had almost foolishly ruled out the 450MXR... 450, short tires, etc...

Seems like I read somewhere it had better shocks than the others... I should think about it more before crossing it off... I've been known to replace stock tires and gearing almost instantly anyways... hummmm....

Still looking for a better price on a leftover IRS....
There is a place here (norcal) doing $6299 out the door. I bought My Predator and a Trailblazer from them. Have you checked Ebay?
What kind of prices are you getting local on the 525IRS?

sheriff525
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
it seems to me that you will love the low end power of the 525. It rocks...I have riden 450s and i have to say the low end is no where close to the 525. You will love the huge torque that the 525 has. if your doing trails the 450 mxr has smaller wheels less clearence but does have slghtly better front shocks....the IRS will not disappoint...i smile everytime i ride. and i ride in some very tight stuff too.

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
There is a place here (norcal) doing $6299 out the door. I bought My Predator and a Trailblazer from them. Have you checked Ebay?
What kind of prices are you getting local on the 525IRS?

I have checked Ebay for within 100 miles of me... something I'd be willing to go pick up... but not beyond that.

I can only find one 525IRS (so far) in this area.

Dealer says $7,283 is the best price...
I was sort of surprised by that... I know it's BULL.

birdman7389
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Open your range up a bit, and make a fun road trip out of it! If done that TONS of times with cars, trucks, quads....
Maybe Charlotte or Raleigh? I'm Sure Norfolk or Nashville or Knoxville would have deals....
Even the one near me + $400 for shipping would be ok...

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by sheriff525
it seems to me that you will love the low end power of the 525. It rocks...I have riden 450s and i have to say the low end is no where close to the 525. You will love the huge torque that the 525 has. if your doing trails the 450 mxr has smaller wheels less clearence but does have slghtly better front shocks....the IRS will not disappoint...i smile everytime i ride. and i ride in some very tight stuff too.

Yeah, the modded YFZ450 didn't have the low end (mods maybe?) and the 450R doesn't either. They say the KFX450R has it, but I haven't ridden it.

I haven't crossed the 450MXR off my list yet though. Based on the stroke being the same as the 525 and over 10mm longer than the other 450s... I figure it might have good low end.

I would be likely to change the stock tires anyways... I usually run ITP or Maxxis.... it's around the same price as the 525 S ($200 cheaper actually) ...and from what I've read is indeed supposed to have better front shocks.

I haven't been able to find out how much better the shocks are supposed to be. It would be dumb to give up the cc's and guarantee myself buying new tires if the shocks are not considerably worth it.

birdman7389
01-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm not gonna beat you up over this, dont take it the wrong way....

The MXR is designed for MX. HUGE jumps and flatbottom landings. Thats why it has better shocks, you wont notice a difference on the trails.
Just about all the trails guys leave the 525IRS shocks alone, either the FOX or the Axis

birdman7389
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
That local place I was talking about has a location in Denver, co.
http://www.otdcyclesports.com/?locations/list

I say give them a shot and see if they can ship you one for a good price.

MtnEX
01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm not gonna beat you up over this, dont take it the wrong way....

The MXR is designed for MX. HUGE jumps and flatbottom landings. Thats why it has better shocks, you wont notice a difference on the trails.
Just about all the trails guys leave the 525IRS shocks alone, either the FOX or the Axis

Maybe that's helpful to me then... not taken the wrong way...

I've just read that the MXR fronts are better... but have not been able to find out what the difference really was... because I haven't read "the MXR has these shocks and the S has those shocks".... know what I mean?

So this has been a consideration of mine because I know what different grades of suspension are like.... all the way from what is on the front of my Polaris all the way up to custom aftermarket high end stuff............ And there is a world of difference on the trails between my Polaris fronts and my Honda fronts.... even though neither are great at all... but the Honda is still worlds better.

But back to what you're saying... I'm guessing you are saying there is not that much difference between the shocks of the two?... Like maybe the MXR has one grade better or something?

As long as they are adjustable, I think they will be good enough for me until I wear them out.

Gonna go dig in my closet and see if I kept any literature from last year..............

MtnEX
01-28-2009, 02:39 AM
I did find some old literature packed away that I picked up while shopping last year. I also read and watch some dang good reviews.... RIGHT HERE!!!.... Gotta love this site no matter what you ride.

The 525 S has the Fox Podiums up front.
The 450 MXR has the Fox Podium X w/rez all the way around (nice)

Man I've dug through every Polaris dealer in a radius of me that I can find... and unless they are willing to take considerably LESS... I have not found a 525 IRS at a better price.

I did narrow down my models from where... and found a steal on a 500 IRS.... $800 less than the cheapest 450 MXR and $1000 less than the cheapest 525 S.

All 3 are at the same dealer... so I think I have found my motivated Polaris dealer.

Evasiveone
01-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Trust us when we say that the Outlaws with the KTM 525 engine is well worth the $1000 over the Outlaw 500. The lighter weight alone makes the 525 handle so much better. Then throw in the great torque and HP the KTM engine has and it really shines.

MtnEX
02-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Well guys... the bullet has hit the bone on this one.

I'm going to have to rule out the 525 IRS model.
I can't find one for a reasonable price.
The only ones I can find they want last year's full MSRP and their fees.
I'm just not will to pay that in today's buyers market.
The IRS or the 525 KTM are not worth that much more to me.

I think the only way I'd ever come close is to become an Ebay hound and take a chance on buying like that.

So I have these choices...

500 IRS....... for the IRS
525 S.......... for the KTM 525
450 MXR...... for the premium shocks all around and the KTM 450

I'm hung up in a 3-way tie here on them and can't narrow it down.
I'm not even considering the tires because I am likely to replace stockers.

I'm wondering if the IRS + some price savings is worth giving up the KTM engine?
Are the Fox Podium X shocks (all around) worth giving up the cc's of the 525?

SSJEFF
02-15-2009, 11:40 PM
If your just trail riding and not looking to race or blow your buddies away, the 500 s great. the motor is very dependable. the KTM is more maintenance.

The IRS is a great ride and will maneuver ruts and mud easily compared to the SRA.

MtnEX
02-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
If your just trail riding and not looking to race or blow your buddies away, the 500 s great. the motor is very dependable. the KTM is more maintenance.

The IRS is a great ride and will maneuver ruts and mud easily compared to the SRA.

I was thinking the 500 would be fine for me, and the IRS would give me a smoother ride, more traction and more clearance.

But I tell you, there are 3 things that bug me after reading this other forum.

1- there are more parts on the IRS (more maintenance?)
2- that issue with the arms rubbing the wheels
3- I think that Fuji motor has less bottom end for crawling, and if I'm not mistaken has the bucket & shim valve setup.

Doesn't the KTM motor have the simple wrench and screwdriver adjustments like the older dirtbike engines?

Also man, at first I missed the fact you have a 450 and a 525 listed in your signature line.

So tell me... if both are on the same tires, what is the difference in them?

If you feel the 525 is a lot better, then is it enough to give up the Podium X shocks up front on the 450?
(the regular 525 doesn't have them)

SSJEFF
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM

1- there are more parts on the IRS (more maintenance?)
2- that issue with the arms rubbing the wheels
3- I think that Fuji motor has less bottom end for crawling, and if I'm not mistaken has the bucket & shim valve setup.

Doesn't the KTM motor have the simple wrench and screwdriver adjustments like the older dirtbike engines?

[So tell me... if both are on the same tires, what is the difference in them?

1. Yes there are more parts but I do not see that much of an issue unless I wanted to be anal about things being a little loose. I have never broken anything anything besides the rear carrier bearing going out and doing some damage.
2.yea they rub, grind the tabs off the a-arms and it ok.
3.The Fuji has tons of bottom end. They are both very torquey motors. The KTM goes through clutches more and oil.

You cannot compare my 450 to another since I bought it as an ex pro quad and it has had everything done including a 13.5:1 piston. I do want to make it a 525 though and get rid of the piston. I do not want to buy $6 gallon gas. I have heard the 450 is easier on you since it does not have all that power down low. I like my 525 power in racing and would not have gotten the 525 if I wasn't a power freak. My 500 was right behind the 525 speed wise.

I was right behind buddies with the 500 when drag racing, with the 525 I am with them or in front.

As for the IRS, after the first day of riding, I noticed how I was not near as sore as my old SRA and now all my recreation riding and some racing will be on the IRS. If it is muddy or rocky...the IRS is ON!!!

I have written many how to threads and what to look out for on the IRS/SRA. You should check them out.

MtnEX
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, I am glad I have this decision to make, because not so many years ago we didn't have all these choices.

But it sure is a difficult decision to make, and it does not seem to be getting any easier or more clear-cut about which direction I should go.

SSJEFF
02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Well, I am glad I have this decision to make, because not so many years ago we didn't have all these choices.

But it sure is a difficult decision to make, and it does not seem to be getting any easier or more clear-cut about which direction I should go.

well if you don't mind putting a clutch in every once in a while the KTM is great. If you don't mind a little rougher ride the SRA is the way to go. Maybe you should try and test ride them!

birdman7389
02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I double checked with my local OTDcyclesports.....

2008 Outlaws- Out the Door, after tax/reg/etc...

525 IRS- $6,299
525 S- $6,099
450MXR- $6,099

They could ship for ~$400, I'm sure less from the Denver location.

sheriff525
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
This video is what convinced me that the IRS is the way to go. I agree!
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/PolarisPerformance/Videos/

outlaw5oo
02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
i can kill the guys i ride with on the trails with my 500 irs and almost keep up with thier sra's on the wide open spots. the 500 is a bit hefty to pull out or tug around if you get stuck. worst comes to worst through some fox shocks on it and call it a day. mines stock but not for long and the low end power is good can be a tad bit better but with an intake and smaller sprocket should be excellent.

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Gat some razr2 and getting stuck is not as easy with the ground clearance. But like he said, if you get stuck, you will probably be really stuck and it will be fun getting out.

MtnEX
02-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by outlaw5oo
i can kill the guys i ride with on the trails with my 500 irs and almost keep up with thier sra's on the wide open spots. the 500 is a bit hefty to pull out or tug around if you get stuck. worst comes to worst through some fox shocks on it and call it a day. mines stock but not for long and the low end power is good can be a tad bit better but with an intake and smaller sprocket should be excellent.

Yeah, I noticed the specs had it at 425-439... that's pretty heavy.

My Sport 400 is 475... which I don't notice all of the time because of the power and snap... but at times I can tell it's a pig.

What shocks come on the 2006 IRS?

MtnEX
02-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, I left out yesterday with my 400EX on my trailer to go make my trade...

To tell the truth, I was having trouble stomaching the idea from the moment I finished trailering it for the trip. But I pushed on and left out.

Well, on my way it just never did sit exactly right with me and I actually ended up turning back for home. Unreal.

On my way back I met my wife in passing and we pulled off to chat. I explained and she encouraged that I just take the pressure off and go "look" some more.

So I did go to two dealers not too far away where I knew they should have many of what I was looking for (just priced too high).

===========================

Now on to the point... I actually got to see all three 2008 Outlaw models.

450 MXR

The tires are so small I don't even think I'd have track use for them. Also, the shifter placement was TERRIBLE!!! I went to check it out without looking, and my big #10's never even touched it. It's so far inboard towards the frame that I missed it totally. You have to angle your foot IN like / to get in touch with it. What's up with that? Surprised I didn't read about it.

525 S

Very nice quad. I just do not understand WHY they yanked the e-brake on nice selection when they got to the front. I wish it had Podium X up front too like the MXR... and the front tire choice was not all that impressive.

I would have liked to see the white plastics though.

525 IRS

This one impressed me the most of the three. To me it seems like the natural selection for this particular overall quad layout. I would like to have seen one consistent great shock on all 4 corners though.

All three

Of all the top tier high performance engines, I feel the most comfortable about the KTM powerplant. It's probably the best out now. I can't seem to find fault in it.

Too bad since I really don't have a 525 / IRS combo as an option at an acceptable price. I will look at the 500 option I have before final decision though.

All three of them.... to me they sit too high up... and the seat, while very cushy, is also much like a saddle up towards the tank. Johnny and his two boys disapprove... lol...

Anyways, I somewhat doubt I will get an Outlaw in the end.
But if I do, it will probably be the '06 Outlaw 500 IRS.

SSJEFF
02-25-2009, 12:25 AM
the 06 500 has the best shocks of all the IRS outlaws. You can get a set though. i have a set myself sitting in the garage. You can get a set of front 450mxr shocks to match and have them all resprung and valved.

The 08525LE has ressie shocks on the front. The plastic is painted flat black with white centers and gold a-arms, white springs. Some liek it but I do not care for black plastics. it has what you are looking for though. The 525 and 450 have the same shifter loactions though. I have no issue with mine and I wear size 9. I have just gotten used to it. A bonus about the shifter being out of the way is I have seen people jump and their foot lands on the shifter breaking the whole engine casing. Not a good thing. there are shifters available from pit posse.

MtnEX
02-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
the 06 500 has the best shocks of all the IRS outlaws. You can get a set though. i have a set myself sitting in the garage. You can get a set of front 450mxr shocks to match and have them all resprung and valved.

The 08525LE has ressie shocks on the front. The plastic is painted flat black with white centers and gold a-arms, white springs. Some liek it but I do not care for black plastics. it has what you are looking for though. The 525 and 450 have the same shifter loactions though. I have no issue with mine and I wear size 9. I have just gotten used to it. A bonus about the shifter being out of the way is I have seen people jump and their foot lands on the shifter breaking the whole engine casing. Not a good thing. there are shifters available from pit posse.

That's good to know about the '06. Thanks. It has Fox all the way around right? I think it would make me a nice quad for an Outlaw choice and an IRS choice.

I don't have the 525 IRS option. Or I should say if I were going to spend that much money I'd have to go on up to the KTM 525 XC.

I figured the shifter was that way on the MXR for hard motocross landings. The others I sat on had a totally different shifter than the MXR. Weird.

I think a setup something like this would suit me well if I go with an Outlaw.

http://www.atvriders.com/images/polaris/polaris2007outlaw525gncctestride/outlaw500atvgallagher.jpg

Evasiveone
02-25-2009, 07:46 AM
What kind of prices were you quoted? You should be able to find an '08 Outlaw 525 bike in the 5500 to 6000 dollar range. The KTM 525XC will be quite a bit more than that. Like Jeff said, pitt Posse makes a shifter for the 525 for around $20 that is much shorter than the stock one.

SSJEFF
02-26-2009, 04:23 AM
I think a setup something like this would suit me well if I go with an Outlaw.

http://www.atvriders.com/images/polaris/polaris2007outlaw525gncctestride/outlaw500atvgallagher.jpg

You are going to have to talk to John Gallagher Sr. to get that quad lol. It is probably gone by now also. he had that thing modded with his custom front hubs, hipers, Etc...

He eventually took the front shocks off and put the ressies on.

You should be able to find 07 525 IRS and 08 525 IRS at a good deal. Were you located? I might be able to hook you up. Bryan Baker might have an outlaw left for sale also. He is in Missouri. I get some good deals from a guy down in Louisville KY. Some dealers will not come off the price and some will just to get them off the floor and get he new models in.

SSJEFF
02-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Here are some of my old 500
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/P1010004.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/P1010031.jpg