PDA

View Full Version : worst monday in the history of ever...

atvmxr
01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Or maybe not... I have never seen this in my 20 years or so of riding. I was out blazing some new trails in the woods and somehow about a 1" diameter pine twig got caught in between the front sprocket and the chain... after a long walk back home and several different methods to get some chain slack, remove the front sprocket, then tried removing the rear sprocket and nothing working and couldnt get it budge. so I used my little screwdriver and dug out as much of the wood as I could. then wrestled the tires around and finally (3 hours later in the dark deserted forest) managed to get the chain to pop back in place... It nicked the part of the case under the clutch arm, but doesnt appear to be cracked, all the way through, or leaking. here's a pic that kinda shows the nick

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k244/atvmxr/250r/almost%20busted/PICT0003.jpg

anyone else ever had this happen?

1promodfan
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I've seen that type of "knick" before.....maybe not from the same thing that happened to yours. Dude, get a case saver!!!

05LSR250R
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Doesn't look like he can put one on !!! Looks to me that someone broke the bolts off on the case half?

1promodfan
01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
Doesn't look like he can put one on !!! Looks to me that someone broke the bolts off on the case half?

There's more than one way to skin a cat!!!

g9901920
01-26-2009, 09:14 PM
i Bought a piece of flat metal and bent it the attached it to that bolt hole on the bottom of the frame its much better than a case save, because it can take anything you throw at it...

heres a pic..

atvmxr
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
i have a case saver, just havent put it on. the damage you see to the top bolt mount is from a previous chain fubar about 5 years ago. Not sure I would have been better off with the case saver in this instance. would think it would have caused even more damage...

but yes, the case saver is going back on!! :ermm:

kiesta00
01-26-2009, 09:42 PM
I ran a case saver once...threw a chain and I think the case saver caused more damage than good. Put a rear chain slider on and hopefully that won't happen again.

05LSR250R
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Never heard an r owner that said his case saver did more bad than good!!!!You guys keep runnin' with out them and you'll see!!(LOL)

kiesta00
01-26-2009, 09:59 PM
lol nothin...my case saver ripped my entire clutch arm off

C-LEIGH RACING
01-27-2009, 07:06 AM
You look at how the left case is cast & you would just about swear that Honda made it that way so the case would be easier to bust.
Hey,,,, thats it,,,,, if we hadnt busted all those cases all these years, how would Honda of made all those millions selling left hand case halfs.
And BOY!!!! I bet they were jumping up & down mad when somebody came out with a chain guide on the swingarm.
Neil

jas250r
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
i run one of the case savers that has a hole the shift lever to go threw it. had a branch get caught 2yrs. ago and saved my a**. busted a did x ring chain!

jcs003
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
i had a case saver ripped offf and a nice slice into the case right the clutch arm section of the case.

dtowndiesel
01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
This past summer I caught a inch and a half log in my chain. It was my own fault for riding in the woods and not having a skidplate on my swingarm. It came up through my chain and derailed it to the inside of the front sprocket and gouged the crap out of my left case half, the chain did not break and the mounts were fine but it gouged all the way through my case. Then to add insult to injury I had to wait about ten minutes for my friend to catch up on his craptor to tow me back to the trailer. Boo craptors. Talk about insult to injury. The worst part was not only did I have to buy a new left case half I also had to have it machined to accept a big bore cylinder. So long story short case savers dont always save your case, but they are 100% neccesary and required to be used on all 250R's.

trx310R#24
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by g9901920
i Bought a piece of flat metal and bent it the attached it to that bolt hole on the bottom of the frame its much better than a case save, because it can take anything you throw at it...

heres a pic..

yeah cuz it absorbs impact insted of transferring it to the bolts