PDA

View Full Version : newb dirtbike questions

fasterblaster09
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
well it's about time I get back into riding now that im doing a little better financially. just looking for something cheap to start again, and came accross a nice looking 2003 cr125 for sale for $1,200. Now it looks good to me, nice and clean. The guy started it right up. I didnt have time to test drive it, but the guy said it runs great and there's nothing wrong with it. does this sound like a good price? and are they reliable? I've never owned a dirtbike before so any help is appreciated. thanks, neil

KXRida
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
For that price, that's a pretty decent deal. I'd look into it. The CR's tend to be "underpowered" compared to the rest of the class, but reset your squish clearences, get some porting, and a nice set of reeds and you'll have a screamer. They do have a pretty decent suspesnion right out of the box though.

01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
well it's about time I get back into riding now that im doing a little better financially. just looking for something cheap to start again, and came accross a nice looking 2003 cr125 for sale for $1,200. Now it looks good to me, nice and clean. The guy started it right up. I didnt have time to test drive it, but the guy said it runs great and there's nothing wrong with it. does this sound like a good price? and are they reliable? I've never owned a dirtbike before so any help is appreciated. thanks, neil

ok couple things to look for
has the topend been rebuilt? when?
check for oil leaks near gear shifter and oil bolt
check rims for crcks[ if cracked do not buy bike you will end up spending about $558.00 to fix like i did]
check for missing bolts on ANYTHING if found be catious b/c with dirtbikes there will be a lot of unseen wear , gas tank leaks
good luck fyi mines for sale 2!

KXRida
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
ok couple things to look for
has the topend been rebuilt? when?
check for oil leaks near gear shifter and oil bolt
check rims for crcks[ if cracked do not buy bike you will end up spending about $558.00 to fix like i did]
check for missing bolts on ANYTHING if found be catious b/c with dirtbikes there will be a lot of unseen wear , gas tank leaks
good luck fyi mines for sale 2!

Gas tanks don't leak anymore or anyless than a quad, or any plastic tank for that matter. You have more of a chance of bending/cracking a quad rim, but this is a good thing to check. It's usually unlikely, but you never know. If you can see if the seller can get you a compression test (or you supply your own) and see what kind of numbers it's putting out. You can pick up a tester at sears for roughly $25 I think. Use your common sense and check consumable items as well (tires, chain/sprockets, brakes, etc). Sounds like a pretty decent deal. Since the economy went to ***** bikes have lost a lot in resale value. Even before that, I only got $1100 out of my mint 01 rm 125. I had more than that into the clutch.

pro-rider46
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
my buddy has a cr, and it is the fastest 125 i have ever rode. bone stock 07. and i have rode a few 125's

KXRida
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
my buddy has a cr, and it is the fastest 125 i have ever rode. bone stock 07. and i have rode a few 125's

06 and up did receive a slightly redesigned motor, but a yz is a better overall package. KTM's are just flat out powerhouses, the RM's are pretty much all top end. Not really a great beginner bike. Requires quite a bit of advanced clutch/riding technique. I however feel riding a 125 for a while really helped my riding skills. Now that I carried that over to the 4 strokes I feel a little faster. I did have to change my riding style slightly with the switch. I was used to the clutch dropping, wheel spinning, brake slamming aggressive riding style. Now it seems that smoother is better in the 4 stroke world of bikes.

pro-rider46
01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
that explains it. i rode my other buddies 06 rm and i wasnt impressed at all. i thought it was a slug. havent rode any 250s tho. cept for a crf250 but no 2 smokes.

KXRida
01-27-2009, 04:27 AM
that explains it. i rode my other buddies 06 rm and i wasnt impressed at all. i thought it was a slug. havent rode any 250s tho. cept for a crf250 but no 2 smokes.

haha go ride one once. They're monsters. Makes me miss my KTM.

fasterblaster09
01-27-2009, 06:39 AM
ok thanks guys. my buddy told me about a 02 yz125 for same price. i know that first quesitons I will ask them is the last time it was rebuilt. are they expensive to rebuild? Im reallyyyy looking for reliability, and from my past experience with my honda and yamaha they both took a beating. considering they're both in good conditoin and seem to be taken care of, which one would be best for a beginner?

fasterblaster09
01-27-2009, 06:43 AM
and also how much will it cost me to rebuilt these things? I've read that they must be rebuilt every year!

01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
and also how much will it cost me to rebuilt these things? I've read that they must be rebuilt every year!

not every year about every 60 hours, it can range ive heard around $200 range

01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
Gas tanks don't leak anymore or anyless than a quad, or any plastic tank for that matter. You have more of a chance of bending/cracking a quad rim, but this is a good thing to check. It's usually unlikely, but you never know. If you can see if the seller can get you a compression test (or you supply your own) and see what kind of numbers it's putting out. You can pick up a tester at sears for roughly $25 I think. Use your common sense and check consumable items as well (tires, chain/sprockets, brakes, etc). Sounds like a pretty decent deal. Since the economy went to ***** bikes have lost a lot in resale value. Even before that, I only got $1100 out of my mint 01 rm 125. I had more than that into the clutch.

nah i didnt mean to put the gas tank thing next to there i had it happen to my warrior :( but with dirt bike rims there is a big mony difference you can get douglas rims for 50 buck and you can get excell rims for 337 with spokes

fasterblaster09
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I weigh 195 and im 5'10. I know how to ride and contril myself, I shouldn't have trouble handling it, I think? im not going to be doing any racing, just riding around the field and the dunes once every few months or so.

KXRida
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I weigh 195 and im 5'10. I know how to ride and contril myself, I shouldn't have trouble handling it, I think? im not going to be doing any racing, just riding around the field and the dunes once every few months or so.

For a 125 you shouldn't have any problem handling it. You'd acutally probably be alright on a 250 as well.

Yes excel rims are pretty much top knotch, but try getting a set of hipers for that. You can get Prowheel rims and spokes in the color of your choice for like $260. I'm hoping to grab a set of those and either polish or PC my hubs before the season starts. All depends on how money looks. I do know a guy selling excel's laced to talon hubs on TT for $600. That is also an option.

ZeroLogic
01-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm 6' 220 pounds depending on the time of day. 125 is to slow for my taste. I'd shoot for a stock 250 if you already have some seat time on bikes

For two strokes, it depends on how much you ride it and how hard. I've talked to people who had almost 60+ hours on their topend and still going strong and others with around 20 hours dying for new rings. To rebuild a top end can cost anywhere from around 40 bucks (rings and gaskets) up to close to 400 dollars (replating cylinder and new pistion). If you keep your filter clean and jet the bike right you won't have problems.

KXRida
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM

all depends how you ride as well. I do top ends in all my two strokes every winter regardless of ride time. Cost is roughly $120ish for everything and takes about 45 minutes or so on average. It's pretty straight forward. Run a good quality oil in it, jet it, and you're good to go.

01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
hhaha yesterday bout five i was just riding my to keep the engine clean b/c i never ride it but , i pop a couple wheelies turn arond doing about 45 50 3rd gear well i look strait forward and dont see anything look back and turn around bout to mis my turn and as soon as i hit the brakes i smack my face in to a brand new sign , well i wake up in the ambulance , hehe long story short i got 7 stiches[have to go get more tommorrow] and a smalll concusion! haha the weird part is my bike is perfectly fine.... the # plaate fell of butt that was it

Caseys 300ex
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
If i were you id buy a 250. I found my 250 for cheap and it was the best decision ever. I had never riden before it but it didnt take long to get the hang of it. I rode my friends 125 and it was a slug compared to the 250

Rich250RRacer
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM

I didn't know there was such a thing as a fast 125.:D You want fast? Try the eighth one down in my sig. :devil:

KXRida
01-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I didn't know there was such a thing as a fast 125.:D You want fast? Try the eighth one down in my sig. :devil:

haha take her on a track! ;)

01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer

yeah that shet is sick haha i rode a buddys well im got to forth gear and didnt want to **** my pants so i stopped and got back on the banshee, im not so good with topping out that quick on a bike