PDA

View Full Version : leatt brace

jlrenken
01-26-2009, 08:58 AM
i was wondering who all was running with a leatt brace and what your thoughts are. wheather or not if its worth the money or not run with a coller at all. thanks

yfzrider310
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
probably not the best place to post but....what do you think. Its 400 that could potentially save you from being in a wheelchair for your whole life. Now thats the choice you have to make. Whats your neck worth... hell any neck injury you get racing will be more expensive then the 400 dollar leatt brace.

SLICK72
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
My wife baught me one for ice racing and flattrack. 2nd race this year I was wot in 5th gear and was slammed into and rolled the bike 4-5 times, ended up breaking 3 ribs, bruised kidney, concussion and lots of bruises. Dr told me I should have broke my neck by the bruises I had on my neck and shoulders. Just my .02 cents

jlrenken
01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
im asking because i heard that if in a crash it could result in a broken coller bone and yes saves your neck but with other neck collers u might not have any broken bones and still saves your neck.

OutlawBill
01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Broken collar bone will hell and you can ride again. Broken neck if you are lucky you are riding a wheel chair for the rest of your life.

tach13
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
i have one and it takes some getting used to but i think its worth the uncomfortability and the price tag. esspecially if your racing.

ds450racer
01-27-2009, 03:58 AM
i used to have one and loved it. Then saw the alpine star one and bought that. I think the only difference between them is the a star one sits above the collar bone where the leatt doesnt.

TWISTED DINLI
01-27-2009, 05:54 AM
i used one of my friends for the past weekend to race and i loved it! i got used to it real quick too. i would def consider buying one. i am now lol

OutlawBill
01-27-2009, 05:58 AM
one more testimonial this past weekend at a local race bike race went down going about 80 mph broken leg, bruised hip helmet crack and leatt brace broken in 3 places ends up with some pin in his leg only.

jlrenken
01-27-2009, 07:22 AM
what did u think of the alpinestar better or worse than the leatt

TNT
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
My son recently broke his collar bone from the Leatte but much better than the neck or whip lash! The Leatte Adventure $225 has the fracture points and is the best product for the money. Main thing about these braces is the break off point before damaging the body and to absorb load away from the body. You pay more for weight saving of a few ounces, not worth it! Alpine looks way too expensive, $680 they claim to have improved on Leatte but I fail to see how, and they don’t list their testing on their site whereas Leatte does…Although tested in Africa it has more of a history of success and they have the original patent.

ds450racer
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
i like the star brace alot. You will need to try one on though. because they do different sizes. Really nice to wear though. And someone said before about not getting whiplash. I got whiplash with a leatt. Came down from the air and the bit the sticks out the back duck in the ground then my head flew back and i got whiplash from that. But who knows. if i hadnt been wearing it i couldnt broken it,.

Mr. Big Time
01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
A friend of mine used the alpinestar and said for xc racing it sucks, cause it wont let you look up going up hill. Leatt now has one thats about the same price, its just not carbon fiber.

griffin32
01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
they actually both work really well but the alpinestars has super hard styrofoam and isnt near as comfortable to wear and impossible for me as i have broken both collar bones and the bones stick up right where it sits

Justwin
02-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Having been concussed a couple of times in about 6 months a few years ago, as soon as the Leatt came out I had to have one – to help with the confidence rebuilding if nothing else.
I felt immediately comfortable with it and don’t notice it at all when riding. I broke my collarbone about 4 or 5 times before I ever had a neck brace so I don’t think that it is fair for people to blame the brace. Apparently it’s the mouthpiece of the helmet that will break your collarbone anyway if you’re not wearing a brace (if not the impact from landing on the point of your shoulder).

During a race in 07 a competitor went off the track right in front of me and went straight through the ropes that mark out our tracks over here. The rope got pulled right across my path and effectively ‘clothes lined’ me, i.e. the rope got wrapped around my neck and pulled me right off the quad. I had a cut/rope burn literally form one ear to the other. My neck was swollen quite badly from the trauma and I found it hard to swallow for a couple of days but apart from that I wasn’t too bad. When I visited my Physio a day or so later he reckoned that I was going to have the mother of all whiplashes but, much to his astonishment, it never developed. The carbon piece closest to the helmet was ‘soft’ and had fractured a bit obviously absorbing the impact. I think that brace paid for itself a hundred times over that day.

I will certainly continue to wear one – it’s just like wearing a helmet to me now…

Justin
www.justwinracing.com (http://www.justwinracing.com)

DGS
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Justwin
Having been concussed a couple of times in about 6 months a few years ago, as soon as the Leatt came out I had to have one – to help with the confidence rebuilding if nothing else.
I felt immediately comfortable with it and don’t notice it at all when riding. I broke my collarbone about 4 or 5 times before I ever had a neck brace so I don’t think that it is fair for people to blame the brace. Apparently it’s the mouthpiece of the helmet that will break your collarbone anyway if you’re not wearing a brace (if not the impact from landing on the point of your shoulder).

During a race in 07 a competitor went off the track right in front of me and went straight through the ropes that mark out our tracks over here. The rope got pulled right across my path and effectively ‘clothes lined’ me, i.e. the rope got wrapped around my neck and pulled me right off the quad. I had a cut/rope burn literally form one ear to the other. My neck was swollen quite badly from the trauma and I found it hard to swallow for a couple of days but apart from that I wasn’t too bad. When I visited my Physio a day or so later he reckoned that I was going to have the mother of all whiplashes but, much to his astonishment, it never developed. The carbon piece closest to the helmet was ‘soft’ and had fractured a bit obviously absorbing the impact. I think that brace paid for itself a hundred times over that day.

I will certainly continue to wear one – it’s just like wearing a helmet to me now…

Justin
www.justwinracing.com (http://www.justwinracing.com)

Hey Justin, glad to see you on here...!!! When u off to france..?

The Leatt is deff worth its weight in gold. I sometimes battle looking up if i am standing but quickly got used to it...