PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

exrider23
01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
I have an 02 ex. Pretty standard on the engine, had a 440 an hated the reliability. Anyways, i replaced the right crankcase gasket because i had a leak. Well its still leakin like hell and i dont know why. any help? anything i can use to make it seal up better?

davidw2155
01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
When you replaced the old gasket did you scrape the parts of it off the crankcase cover and the crankcase? If you don't get every little piece off of it that can cause it to leak. Also, if you do not torque the bolts down properly this can cause it to leak as well.

rob_990
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
maybe you scraped the gasket off to good and marked up the case. is there any gouges on the metal? or maybe its not tightened evenly.did you tighten it in two stages? try using a torque wrench to make sure its tightened evenly.

exrider23
01-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Ok so i dont think i torqued them right. What is the right way to do it and also do you think i can salvage the gasket, it only has 1 ride on it.

rob_990
01-27-2009, 01:09 PM
tighten down the bolt a little bit at first in a criss cross way then tighten them again.do you have a tourque wrench? if you dont make sure you dont tighten them too much youd be surprised how easily they can break.

as for the gasket its hard to say.did it crack at all?if it did put a little rtv silicone where its cracked and it should be good.