PDA

View Full Version : How do you make it all fit?

QuadJunkies
01-26-2009, 12:06 AM
We cant think of anyway to make a set of flexx bars fit and wondered how everyone here makes it all work with the controls and grips?
There isnt any room for powermadds either?? We run the ODI grips . All of the above are sponsors, so it would be great if we could figure out how to make everything mount up correctly.

Heres the current set up.
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/108543377.jpg

copedaddy
01-26-2009, 07:22 AM
i think its your ODI grips. i couldn't get power madd hand guards on a yfz with those grips either.

k4f5x0r
01-26-2009, 07:54 AM
slide the grips off th eend of the bars a little. then just cut the remaining off. i did this on a set of my bars and it g ives ALOTT of room. and its still comfortable as long as oyu line it up with your hands ;)

QuadJunkies
01-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
slide the grips off th eend of the bars a little. then just cut the remaining off. i did this on a set of my bars and it g ives ALOTT of room. and its still comfortable as long as oyu line it up with your hands ;)

hmmm..how do you do that with an ODI? The grips have these notches in them to hold on the end cap.
There isnt a way to cut the ODI's that we use

k4f5x0r
01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
hmm. dunno. since ive always used renthal grips. i assumed it would work with most/all other grips too :confused:

Warnerade
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I mount my powermadd handgaurds to my clutch and break mounts...that clears up about a half inch per side

JAG Motosports
01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
I mount my powermadd handgaurds to my clutch and break mounts...that clears up about a half inch per side
That's correct. The new powermadd don't have the brackets. They are nice and easy to mount.

05Z400rdr
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
One way to gain a very little bit of room on the right side is cut or sand the little tab off that sticks out off of the throttle, if I remember it was only about 3/16'' or so, so like I said it is just a little thing. Another thing, on the left side, if you haven't already, you can remove "the black blob" and put a small starter button on, which will gain you some room on that side as well. Hope this is of some help.

Landon

QuadJunkies
01-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
That's correct. The new powermadd don't have the brackets. They are nice and easy to mount.
Ill have to see what ones she has ,maybe this will work!
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! :)

QuadJunkies
01-27-2009, 12:04 AM

could you show me a pic of it?? Thanks!

jerkyboy
01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
On the clutch side get rid of the start/light cluster.
Wire in a bike killswitch to work as a start button. If you still
run a light wire it so you turn it on and off with the key.

QuadJunkies
01-28-2009, 12:07 AM
I asked around and got an idea from a guy I know who suggested this..An LTR rider comfirmed as he has this set up also, so we are goign ot give this a try.Might come in handy for anyone else who was looking for the info like I was.
First, get rid of the start/stop/starter/headlight/choke switch. Replace the starter switch with one from a WR450 dirt bike. Yamaha part # 5TJ-83976-11-00. You can plug off the hole in the throttlebody with Yamaha # 5TG-14225-00-00.
Then get an aftermarket clutch lever. I've used ASV's but any will work. Use a Pingle kill switch attached to the mounting bar of the Flex bars. It's skinny and fit's under the pad.
Use the 120mm ODI grips.
Now just dremmel away some of the throttle housing, IE: the little tabs that seperate everything, and Wola....... Everything fits.

Powermadd has 2 newer handgaurds. The trailstar which uses the same mounts as the star, but are cheaper, and the power-x which do have a more compact mount, but they flop around like a limp noodle and are very distracting.
You might look into the Rox mounts. They look like they would give you better options. http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/ ... cat_id=258

However, if you stay with the standard Powermadd star handgaurds, you can use the optional wrap arounds and that will allow you to place the handgaurd mount farther away from the grip

yoshi also makes a replacement for that and pretty sure cernics does too.

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-3705-1023-l...-start-kit.aspx

Still the cable length will be a little tight eventually i added some longer ones. and the rekluse is an added bonus for her small hands she will do less clutching.

The reach was our biggest problem right now. She is only 115 lbs soaking wet and she has small hands,for Endurance racing it is VERY important not to have her hands over extended.

Ill let you know how it turned out when we get some free time to try it !

tyhackman15
01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
I have all stock controls and levers (including stater blob) and can fit protaper handguards as well. This is with protaper bars and pillowtopo grips.

So i would also have to say your grips must be the problem...

Warnerade
01-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
could you show me a pic of it?? Thanks! kinda hard to see, but my break mount is held on by the hand gaurd mount, versus the regular little black clamp that goes there.

QuadJunkies
01-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by tyhackman15
I have all stock controls and levers (including stater blob) and can fit protaper handguards as well. This is with protaper bars and pillowtopo grips.
So i would also have to say your grips must be the problem...
I think you are 100% correct...
These grips work so well for not blistering,so we are trying to find a way to keep them .

Why is it everything has to be so difficult .:scary:

:p

hendershot106
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
kinda hard to see, but my break mount is held on by the hand gaurd mount, versus the regular little black clamp that goes there.

that is a neat little trick!!!!

TWISTED
02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I run Flexx bars and ODI grips... I don't know if it's an option for you but the cheaper Acerbis hand guards will work without modifying anything.. I took all the stock controls off and put a Pro Armor kill switch and a YZ kill switch that I use for my start button, and got everything on there ok... I tried the Powermad too, but they wouldn't fit, and I didn't want to modify anything....

QuadJunkies
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED
I run Flexx bars and ODI grips... I don't know if it's an option for you but the cheaper Acerbis hand guards will work without modifying anything.. I took all the stock controls off and put a Pro Armor kill switch and a YZ kill switch that I use for my start button, and got everything on there ok... I tried the Powermad too, but they wouldn't fit, and I didn't want to modify anything....
We really liked the powermadds, so we were hoping to keep them.We too run the Pro Armor.

Its good to see other alternatives though because I know theres been other topics in the past so this could be a useful one to others:)
thanks for posting your ideas!! :)

TWISTED
02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
No problem... Hope it all gets figured out...