PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers

deathcorefan2
01-25-2009, 09:07 PM
there are these wheel spacers on ebay. they are only like 15 a set. which is enough for 2 wheels. i was wondering, would i break these? i usually just ride trails..ill say 90-95% of the time. i dont jump at all, only a little. i might go to a track in haspin like once a year and i dont go all out and get that high, so i was wondering if i would break these? thye make them in 3'', 4'' and 5''.

i was thinking 3 or 4?

i just like the wider lower look and have no money for a arms.

dave4881
01-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
there are these wheel spacers on ebay. they are only like 15 a set. which is enough for 2 wheels. i was wondering, would i break these? i usually just ride trails..ill say 90-95% of the time. i dont jump at all, only a little. i might go to a track in haspin like once a year and i dont go all out and get that high, so i was wondering if i would break these? thye make them in 3'', 4'' and 5''.

i was thinking 3 or 4?

i just like the wider lower look and have no money for a arms.

I wouldn't recommend you go more than 1 3/4" per side. And, no jumping with spacers --- too easy to crack or bend a hub.

Here's a site that has a good price on the billet G-Force style spacers. They may be out of stock right now, but they said they would have them within a week.

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/4-110-R.html

powermadd400ex
01-25-2009, 09:24 PM
you'll have bump steer like crazy but you'll only break them if you hit really hard on a landing. imo that extra width isnt worth the crappy handling.
just save and look for a good deal on ebay or here on some +2s.

good luck man

deathcorefan2
01-25-2009, 09:39 PM
i mean the only jumps i ever hit or ever will hit i only get like 3-4ft of air and land softly. thats RARELY.

the bulk of my money will go twords an HMF ballance carbon slip on and mainly cosmetic stuff.

they are like 15 bucks, i was just wondering if they will break really easily. and i used to ride a 250 trailblazer, so i dont think handling will be worse...lol

rob_990
01-26-2009, 07:05 AM
mine are like 1.5 inches and i havent had any problems yet. 3 in seems a little much though.

deathcorefan2
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
mine are like 1.5 inches and i havent had any problems yet. 3 in seems a little much though.

not 3 inch each, thats 3 inches all around.
thats 1.5 inch per side.

idk..im leaning twords it, and just refrain from doing any jumps, im not big on them anyway, anyone got pics of 1.5 inch spacers on their 400ex and their stance afterwards?

01-26-2009, 02:50 PM
not 3 inch each, thats 3 inches all around.
thats 1.5 inch per side.

idk..im leaning twords it, and just refrain from doing any jumps, im not big on them anyway, anyone got pics of 1.5 inch spacers on their 400ex and their stance afterwards?

Are you talking about the spacers that just screw onto your stock studs without any ring?

Those are the most dangerous spacers you can buy. Stay away from them.

G-Force is the only decent wheelspacer ive seen. I like the solid ring design with indents to put the stock nuts in to bolt the spacers on, and it's own built-in studs on the ring.

Im buying a set myself actually. Just to test out. I got them cheap enough.

deathcorefan2
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
whats so dangerous about them,
like i said i dont ride all the time like you guys, its mainly for looks.

01-26-2009, 03:10 PM
whats so dangerous about them,
like i said i dont ride all the time like you guys, its mainly for looks.

Because they have no side support. With the rings they can all support each other, making them stronger. Also the studs arent extended, they are used to just bolt the spacers on then the spacers have their own studs.

With the stud extenders you're just asking for the stock studs to snap off. They weren't designed for that much leverage.. even under normal riding circumstances.

You can find the black ring spacers cheap enough. I think I saw some on ebay for like $30

deathcorefan2
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Because they have no side support. With the rings they can all support each other, making them stronger. Also the studs arent extended, they are used to just bolt the spacers on then the spacers have their own studs.

With the stud extenders you're just asking for the stock studs to snap off. They weren't designed for that much leverage.. even under normal riding circumstances.

You can find the black ring spacers cheap enough. I think I saw some on ebay for like $30

link? thats how cheap i need.

what about CRJ wheel spacers, they say they are really strong and have testomonials with guys that say they even jump with them.

01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
link? thats how cheap i need.

what about CRJ wheel spacers, they say they are really strong and have testomonials with guys that say they even jump with them.

They're $24.95

You screw the stud extenders on and then slide the ring on which adds more support so the studs aren't so stressed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380095685073&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

And about the testimonials, never go by them. I've seen people say such crap is good before. For all I know the guy is one of those people who jumps a foot and think they jumped 6ft

deathcorefan2
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
They're $24.95

You screw the stud extenders on and then slide the ring on which adds more support so the studs aren't so stressed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380095685073&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

And about the testimonials, never go by them. I've seen people say such crap is good before. For all I know the guy is one of those people who jumps a foot and think they jumped 6ft

thanks bro,

do you think this and a hood will set my quad off?
make it look good?

01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
thanks bro,

do you think this and a hood will set my quad off?
make it look good?

The spacers would make it look neat, but I have always hated hoods. Very VERY few quads I see pull it off nicely. I like the headlights.

But yeah, spacers and maybe a slight fender cut would look pretty cool:cool:

01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Best pic I could find of front spacers.

BossHogg420
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
are u gonna try the 25 dollar ones dmc? any one that runs them do they really cause that much bump steer also how do they hold up not the cheap stud extenders but the ones with a ring

rcatvrider
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I had 1.5" all the way around on my old quad. That's as much as I would space them before you are begging for damage. They actually improved handling for me. It was alot more stable and looked better. Against factory recommendations I was getting 2-3' of air to flat regularly. They put alot more leverage on the hubs and bearings so your front wheel bearings wear out really fast if you ride of turn hard at all.

01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
are u gonna try the 25 dollar ones dmc? any one that runs them do they really cause that much bump steer also how do they hold up not the cheap stud extenders but the ones with a ring

Nope, those were my next choice. But my friend ran them for a while.

I found myself a cheap pair of the G-force ones. The solid piece of billet aluminum with the built-in studs.

rob_990
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM

yea heres my front it kinda hard to tell cause i took my rears off and my rear wheels are flipped around so its narrower for ice racing.

rob_990
01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
heres another

deathcorefan2
01-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Nope, those were my next choice. But my friend ran them for a while.

I found myself a cheap pair of the G-force ones. The solid piece of billet aluminum with the built-in studs.

yeah those would be my choice but im getting 80 for these mud tires im selling so im trying to get spacers and a hood.

i got a guy with a quadtech carbon one for 40. [ A STEAL!!! I KNOW!!!]

and i was looking for other cosmetic stuff to look cool...i have ALWAYS loved the wide look. plus a lot of people say the wider look pulls off the hood nicely.

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
yeah those would be my choice but im getting 80 for these mud tires im selling so im trying to get spacers and a hood.

i got a guy with a quadtech carbon one for 40. [ A STEAL!!! I KNOW!!!]

and i was looking for other cosmetic stuff to look cool...i have ALWAYS loved the wide look. plus a lot of people say the wider look pulls off the hood nicely.

BUMP. should i just flip the rims?

rob_990
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
yea you could but the brakes probably wouldnt be protected very good.

01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Im going to try out some of those extended hubs.

powermadd400ex
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
Im going to try out some of those extended hubs.

they only make extended hubs for the rear. its either flipped rims, spacers, or extended a arms for widening the front.

01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
they only make extended hubs for the rear. its either flipped rims, spacers, or extended a arms for widening the front.

yup.

Thats my next order, rear Gforce hubs.

I dont do major MX or anything so the front spacers and rear hubs will do me just fine. Ill just deal with the extra bump steer, or buy a cheap stabilizer down the road.

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
so can i just flip the rims, or do i need to take them off the tires? or how does that work.????

01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
so can i just flip the rims, or do i need to take them off the tires? or how does that work.????

Someone correct me if im wrong but you cannot flip the front rims and im almost 100% sure about that.

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Someone correct me if im wrong but you cannot flip the front rims and im almost 100% sure about that.

there was a post with a guy with them flipped..its called "wheels.." something or another.

powermadd400ex
01-28-2009, 09:06 PM

nah you definatly can, it puts pressure on the wheel and spindel though.
only thing you need to do is drill another hole for the valve stem and your set.

01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
nah you definatly can, it puts pressure on the wheel and spindel though.
only thing you need to do is drill another hole for the valve stem and your set.

ok, I guess I was thinking of some other quad lol.

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
so...flipping the rims, what do you guys think. think i should? or should i just talk my dad into wheel spacers.

powermadd400ex
01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
so...flipping the rims, what do you guys think. think i should? or should i just talk my dad into wheel spacers.

honestly ones about as bad as the other, flipping rims is cheaper so.
ANOTHER option. if you want you can buy some 2:3 offset wheels and that will make your quad 1 inch wider than stock. and it isnt as bad as wheel spacer or flipped rims.

tri5ron
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
here's a pic of stock rims flipped. if you look closely at the bottom of the rim, you can see where the original hole for the valve stem is now plugged using a Stainless steel valve stem, mounted backwards (the valve is INSIDE the rim). and another ss valve stem is drilled/mounted on oppisite side of rim.
In this pic you can also see how much of the brake caliper is now exposed, and supseptable to getting damaged with a rock.

and you can also see how there will be a significant increase in the loads that the a-arm ball joints, and hub, and wheelbearings.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8250.jpg

here's a full frontal pic
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8253.jpg

it is not recommended to do any jumping, hard riding, rocky trails, racing or anything else of that matter. It will increase bump steer, and changes the geometry of the entire front suspension all in a bad way.
so in other words, Flipping rims is not a good idea for most any riding conditions.

FYI- I only tried it due to I had an extra set of stock wheels/tires, and my buddy owns a tire/alignment shop, so the stems were free. it took me all of 15 minutes to drill the new holes and install 4 s.s. stems, and mount on quad.
One lap around the flat backyard, and they were removed.

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
well the riding i do now, is not hard at ALL, mostly i would not get out of 3rd. trails are smooth, not even roots that much lol. ill prob just flip them or space them untill i can afford other things..

so do i have to take it off the tire or not.

tri5ron
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
well the riding i do now, is not hard at ALL, mostly i would not get out of 3rd. trails are smooth, not even roots that much lol. ill prob just flip them or space them untill i can afford other things..

so do i have to take it off the tire or not.

no,
just break the bead, and reach inside to switch the valve stems, then reset your bead.

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
no,
just break the bead, and reach inside to switch the valve stems, thenreset your bead.

...im really bad at this and most of you will prob laugh...

whats a bead? how do i break it?

tri5ron
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
the "Bead", is the lip of the tire, where it meets/seals on the rim.
To break the bead, simply remove the schrader valve, lay the wheel/tire on the ground, and drive up onto the side of the tire with a car or truck.

DO NOT pull the cars/ truck wheel up onto the quad RIM,... just onto the side of the tire only.
this will break the bead.

It might be a good idea to have someone with a little experience help you do it for the first time so you dont mess up your quad's rim.

BlaineKaiser450
01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
flipped rims and wheel spacers are NOT a good idea under any circumstances!

01-29-2009, 03:05 AM

yeah I know.. i was just rambling..