PDA

View Full Version : carb issues; crazy-high idle

bbender85
01-25-2009, 08:31 PM
so i finally got around to putting an 04-05 450r carb i picked up on my 426ex. the bike will start but immediately goes to if not WOT, darn close. after a ton of research on similar setups to mine, i have a 195 main and a 50 or 52 pilot, needle on middle clip, and the fuel screw 2 1/4 turns out. i have tried the idle screw from all the way in, on out. all boot connections are good and tight. throttle cable is adjusted all the way in on both ends, such that the butterfly is darn close to fully closed if not all the way; here is a pic of the slide and how there is a little space under it yet:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/quad/DSC04645.jpg

what could be the deal here? i don't understand how it'd be getting so much air to run so high with everything closed and sealed up good. are there internal parts that could be missing? the guy i got it from had some crazy stuff going on with this carb (hotstart not plugged, no pilot jet, one of the slide screws above the needle off and jammed in a port, etc).

Bwild
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
It looks like the slide is up to high, is there any slack in the throttle cable? Try unhooking the throttle cable at the thumb throttle and start it

bbender85
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bwild
It looks like the slide is up to high, is there any slack in the throttle cable? Try unhooking the throttle cable at the thumb throttle and start it

thats my plan when i get home from work. considering the bone-headed things the previous owner did with this carb, i am wondering if he has the wrong cable on it... he "had it on his 400 but was taking it all back to stock" ....(there's no way it even started with how he had it set up).

d3ktrix
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah it looks like something is still holding the slide up a little.

Bwild
01-30-2009, 11:56 AM
So did it work?

bbender85
01-31-2009, 12:53 AM
long story short, it was the hot start; i did a good job plugging the port, but i didnt even think about plugging the port that the hot start port itself connects (i plugged the port at the top with a screw, but the two ports it connects could and did still pass air through); i am still on the lean side, but it is runable.