PDA

View Full Version : does it feel heavy?

maddmatt02
01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
alright, I really wanna get a new quad soon. well not necessarily new, but better than mine now. I want to get a 04/05 450r, but I have been looking at the 700xx now and buying new. anyways, Ive ridden a stock 04 450r and liked it and although it wasnt very impressive (just got off a piped YFZ with a pro flow intake, no lide, regeared). and when I say stock, I mean the 450r had the lid on, stock jetting, stock end cap so it was corked up.

I liked the YFZ, and I also rode a fully built 460ex, which was also impressive and i liked that bike alot. however, I dont know exactly what it is, but I DO NOT like raptor 660's.

I think its just because thay are big,tall,narrow stock. and the power is not delivered the way I like. I like import I4's in my cars, I4's in my bikes, and high revving singles in my quads.

I was wondering if the 700xx felt more like a performance ATV than the raptor that just has some torque to haul it around but no real hgih rpm horsepower(I know it wont rev like a 450 but some would be nice) and when riding it/ jumping it can you tell that its 124 lbs heavier than the 450? I mainly ride dunes, high speed desert trails, and some times rutted out woods trails but not often. stick with the 450? or should I keep looking at the 700?

scuzz
01-26-2009, 08:57 AM
How important is reverse to you?

I went into the dealership intending on coming out with a 450r and came out with a 700xx.

I won't lie to you and tell you that I don't notice the weight...because I do...but I have gotten quite used to it and can jump it very well. (my opinion - I don't mx it so I've never done a "double" or a table top with it.) Also, I know that most people don't like IRS for for dune riding, but I couldn't be more happy with mine in the sand. Even with the stock tires it did better in the sand than anything I've ever been on. It's hard to get used to how you have to position your body and the throttle to hand the ***** end out, but after you master it you can do it every bit as easy as a SRA-d quad. You mentioned rutted out trails and high speed desert trails which the 700xx does excellent on rocky/rutted trails and quite well on high speed desert trails.

As far as the power delivery goes I like it a LOT. It's smooth and makes you hang on throughout the RPM range. Stock the engine is VERY corked-up and still has the highest stock output of any 2wd sport quad. But to specifically answer your question it will rev much like a 700r and deliver power much like one too. I've spanked a piped/jetted and filtered 660 with my 700xx stock in a drag race.

maddmatt02
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
reverse is one of those things that would be nice, but I wouldnt miss not having it. obviously about everything ive ridden doesnt have reverse and Ive dealt with it fine.

and Ive never ridden the 700r, from what ive heard it feels alot better than the 660. I know some people who love the 660 but I sure am not one of them. not that I hate it but Id take ANY 450 over the 660.I was watching videos of the xx on youtube and there was a guy going up on two wheels(right wheels, not a wheelie) and the rear suspeension seems pretty tight to where it wouldnt roll too bad, his right rear wasnt dragging at all, didnt even look lower than the front. Ive taken a YFZ into some pretty nasty woods and SRA didnt bother me at all, never ridden IRS so if I did maybe it would bother me after.

scuzz
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
How tall are you?

Quad size also had a hand in my decision...I had to go with something bigger than a 450 quad at 6'6".

maddmatt02
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Im only 5'9" 175, I fit on the 450's fine. not worried about having a bike with alot of weight, I just dont want it to feel like theres a ton of weight. i havnt even sat on a xx yet, around here theres no big shop, well one decent sized one, but no hondas, and the other ones just new dirt bikes basically and used quads/bikes.

they actually have a clean looking 07 450r for 3295, not sure if they still got it since they lowered the price, but it was there a couple weeks ago.

scuzz
01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Is it e-start?

maddmatt02
01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
yeah it is, havent gone and seen if it is still there yet, drove by monday and they are closed sun/mon and havent been by again yet.

scuzz
02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I almost bought a used one before I bought my 700xx.

It needed a lot of work though.

maddmatt02
02-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I just went by and they do still have it. Im jealous of the east coast guys, theres 450rs for 2500 all the time over there.

scuzz
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah you live in "dune heaven" which has a 450r 2:1 ratio over most other quads.

Backstabber
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I rode my 700xx for the first time today and its beautiful. I had a 400ex before and I have no issues with the extra pounds this lil' piggy carries. I jumped it too on a 20' long table top in mud and I cleared everything with a nice smooth landing. I ripped off a few wheelies and she did just fine. I felt like I wasn't really in the power band and she still pulled the front tires up. I already love this machine.:devil:

JJ69
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
i havent ridden a quad in over 6 months.. my last quad was an 87 250x in mint condition.

i picked up my 700xx today, and it fits me like a glove.
i'm 5'7 and 200lbs, and i need a bike that will not bog between gears. this is it.

i only rode it for a couple hours, but i hit a few small jumps and the thing lands like heaven. its so comfortable to drive, i never want to get off it. theres 3 feet of snow up here, so i had to stick to groomed snowmobile trails and the road, i held it around half throttle in 3rd on the terribly groomed snowmobile trails and it was a pretty smooth ride, i know on a straight axle quad you would've been over the bars a few times.

on the road, i have a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground through 2nd and 3rd. i havent even used 5th gear yet.