PDA

View Full Version : Hate my honda

chadbarger18
01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
alright i just put in a what i was told a curtis sparks mx cam the guy didnt want to bother with shims so didnt put it in so i picked it up for 50 so we get it in and the clearances right timing is dead on but when the piston id coming up on the exhaust stroke the valves r just about to close and they hit just barley the piston is stock what ive seen the piston has no valve relefs(s/p) its getting so annoying tryin to get this together help:mad:

mattonln
01-26-2009, 02:45 AM
okay so you bought a $250 cam for 1/5th of the price, $50, from some random guy who said he didn't install it because he didn't want to "bother with shims" which is normal maintainance for our machines, and claimed it was a curtis sparks mx cam. Sorry to be an ***, but I think you got the big dupe sir, and your "hated honda" is not to blame, you thinking you got a good deal on a shotty part is...

try to identify if the cam is indeed a curtis sparks mx cam, which is a drop in cam. make sure your carrier is completely seated and torqued to the right specs. check your carrier for any play, check the valve clearances and shims, and measure valve seats. What I have learned is NOTHING goes as easy at it would seem to. take a break, drink a beer, smoke a cig/bowl or do whatever you need to do to calm down and figure it out.

the piston has valve reliefs, every piston does. hows your crank? did you take your cylinder off? is your headgasket shotty?

Chino886
01-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by chadbarger18
alright i just put in a what i was told a curtis sparks mx cam the guy didnt want to bother with shims so didnt put it in so i picked it up for 50 so we get it in and the clearances right timing is dead on but when the piston id coming up on the exhaust stroke the valves r just about to close and they hit just barley the piston is stock what ive seen the piston has no valve relefs(s/p) its getting so annoying tryin to get this together help:mad:

I would make sure you have your clearance checked correctly. The Sparks cam is a honda MX cam from what I have heard. I am running one on a stock piston for the time being and there is plenty of room with stock piston reliefs.

chadbarger18
01-26-2009, 03:07 PM
no no no i got it wrong my step dad cant remeber **** the guy ran it and it worked but he sold his quad and took the cam out so he had it just layin around with a lot of old 05 parts so thats how i got it

but we checked all clearences have not takin the clinder off yet we checked everything you can with out takin it off.i dont hate my honda just its been a verylong stressful 3days

mattonln
01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
ha its cool man, sorry your havin a rough time. are you sure its clipping?

250x_kyle
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
yeah i was gunna say how is it the quads fault you cannont install a cam. just recheck everything. make sure ur clearences are correct.

chadbarger18
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
yeah i rechecked everything again last night it still didnt work so i said screw it lol and put the stock 1 back in got it runnin so now just waitin for this rain thats supposed to freeze to stop

250x_kyle
01-27-2009, 03:12 PM
wanna sell the cam? got any pics?

jersey flip
02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
hey yall ! do this RE-CHECK your cam timing if its off 1 tooth it will hit . i did this in 07 to rocco s race bike (son of a bi#*h)
its hard to see the marks on the holder with engine in the frame. also if the piston hit the ex - valves take them out and spin them to check for any bends.

chadbarger18
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
yeah we checked it like 6 times lol it was a pain in the *** and ill get pic up in a bit

jersey flip
02-04-2009, 04:59 AM
this may sound stupid but is the piston on the rod backwards ! if not put a dial indicator on the ex valve it shouldnt go over 110 ths on overlap (or when it hits) let me know what you come up with.