PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Simon MX49
01-25-2009, 12:39 AM
I have an 05 YFZ that needs a complete rebuild, I'm talkin everything. I've got a loan for 10 grand coming, not sayin from where. haha. I could probably get 1500 - 2000 for my Yamaha as it sits, which at best puts me at 12000. I'm planning to race all the MX Nationals this year, tryin to take a class championship or two. Would it really be worth it to buy a KTM for 11 g's instead of redoing my Yamaha (already set up for MX) for about 5 g's.

I know its a sick quad, I know its fast, I know its about as good as it gets, but how is it holding up? How long are you getting out of the motors, whats wearing out prematurely?

TWISTED
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
If I was you, I'd be riding orange..... I've got a pretty nice Honda that I have 12-13k in and it's nice, but for the $$$ you can't beat the KTM..... Also shop around. My buddy got his 505 in WVA for 10,500 OTD......The 450 was 300 cheaper.... BUY ORANGE!!!!

04TRX400EX
01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't have too much time on mine and I'm sure most other people on here won't either since it's only been out since October. That being said, nothing has prematurely worn-out or broken (yet)(knock on wood ;) ) The quad seems to be very well made. Everything seems to be where it should be, nothing hangs down to get caught on your boot, all of the bolts seem to be a good grade, etc.

My issues lie in two areas which you don't start to realize until you go racing with it. First, the suspension is super super stiff. It feels decent when you air it out and the shocks take a big hit, but over "easier" bumps at lower speeds the shocks don't even feel like they compress. I have the settings about as soft as they can be and I hate it. I ran the WORCS race this past weekend and didn't mind the MX section where I've ridden the quad many times before, but the desert section (easily 2/3 of the track layout if not more) was not fun. My second issue is with the thumb throttle being poorly positioned and very stiff. I hear that you can swap the throttle spring in the carb with one from a Honda to make it easier to push, but it also sits at a weird angle making your thumb have to stretch to far to reach it comfortably, ultimately causing your other fingers to have a difficult time holding on to the bars. Some people are switching the entire throttle assembly to a Honda unit.

Check out the site in my signature for all the info you need.

RATPACK Z400
01-26-2009, 11:25 AM
for that money you could buy another motor for back up ! the ktm,s sweet but you,ll need to spend more than 12,000 to get motor,sus,tires,heard sus is stiff,motor needs light mods(airfilter,jetting,pipe,maybe ported,cams) to be compeditive agains,t others.cause you can bet they got it done to theres.My opion is to keep yfz450 if it allready got a-arm, axle,sus,tires,mods,then just get rebuilt for season and buy another motor for spare or save left over money for repairs during season.

jacobw
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
with all the parts the ktm has its a pro ready as any other bike just do some suspension tweaking and your good, the shocks have so much adjustment you will be good to go. you will never get that 05 yfz where the ktm is without a major makeover ten grand wouldnt touch it, the ktm motor is corked up stock even and still makes alot of power

elkablaster94
02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
The KTM seems like its hit or miss on reliability. Some guys on here say that its ran like a top on day one, other guys (like me) got lemons. On my bike, there was no base gasket or o-ring on the cylinder sleeve, leading me to believe that there workmanship isnt as good as they make it out to be. Another thing, anyone notice that the batteries on these things are downright puny? on a cold day, crank it for more then ten seconds and the thing wants to die out, I would rather have a battery that weighs a little more, or maybe a kickstart, than have one step up from a duracell.

Quadevil
02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by elkablaster94
On my bike, there was no base gasket or o-ring on the cylinder sleeve, leading me to believe that there workmanship isnt as good as they make it out to be.

wtf :eek:
Man, you must have got what we call here in Europe has a "friday afternoon product"...
But you can't say just because you got a faulty one that their workmanship is bull. In reality it's very good...

jdm197
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
ktmworld.com which is located in ga is selling the 505sx for 8795.

atveric132
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
my mechanic that races a-class just bought the 09 ktm sx and its a real nice bike. he put full hmf exhaust,jb a-arms pep pb1 front and rear long travel shock and its ready to go. definatly a nice bike for the price.. well worth it

Simon MX49
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I sold the Yamaha last week for 2 thousand with a bottom end about 2 seconds from blowing up.

Before that though I took the money and bought a Pro Am riders 450r race bike, set up with JB and PEP everything and a 13:1 Baldwin motor, with a 14:1 piston I have the option of putting in at any time. First time I rode it it had a stock pipe on it because the pro am rider smashed the Baldwin that was on it and the suspension was way off for me. After the addition of a pipe, and some major suspension tweaks, I'm happy to say the bike is AMAZING, and I have not one complaint so far. I still have along way to go with the suspension, but so far it handles, runs, and just heels like nothing I've ever riden before. I'm already turning faster laps than my Yamaha after only 3 rides

flash
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Simon MX49
I sold the Yamaha last week for 2 thousand with a bottom end about 2 seconds from blowing up.

Before that though I took the money and bought a Pro Am riders 450r race bike, set up with JB and PEP everything and a 13:1 Baldwin motor, with a 14:1 piston I have the option of putting in at any time. First time I rode it it had a stock pipe on it because the pro am rider smashed the Baldwin that was on it and the suspension was way off for me. After the addition of a pipe, and some major suspension tweaks, I'm happy to say the bike is AMAZING, and I have not one complaint so far. I still have along way to go with the suspension, but so far it handles, runs, and just heels like nothing I've ever riden before. I'm already turning faster laps than my Yamaha after only 3 rides

If you bought a KTM you would have been faster on the 1st ride!:D

Simon MX49
03-05-2009, 09:43 PM
lol, the suspension on my Honda was stiffer than a board and the stock pipe killed it. The softer shocks and the right pipe were amazing. My first real ride on a real indoor track and I was definitely faster than I was on my Yamaha

spanky101
03-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the purchase man! Sounds like you got a good running bike! Quick question about where your running outdoors this year in your area, im from the youngstown area and wondering what tracks your riding!

Simon MX49
03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm ridin Briar Cliff down towards Zanesville, a friend of mines practice track. Other than that I really don't know of a whole lot around here. I wish Area 330 would open the top track to quads. I'm gonna try to get in to Beans, and I dunno if Spring Valley is open this year but if they're open I'll definitely be down there.

And ya, the Honda is runnin good, I'm havin trouble with it hittin false neutrals off the gate, I hit it in 2 different starts in Alabama at the first national, kinda got me worried