PDA

View Full Version : foam air filter

joecrack85
01-24-2009, 05:06 PM
is there a foam air filter kit that has a foam filter that is actually held on by a hose clamp or something. i have a velocty intake now an i hate the filters because it falls apart so fast. dont like spending 50 bucks every couple of months because of bad designing. i also dont want the fuel atv intake because i want to keep my air box. any suggestions?

pitcrew
01-24-2009, 09:02 PM
pro design makes a foam kit....its great.

bosshogg1
01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
hey man I have the same filter velosity is sh** ,I'm about to go with uni foam filter for now but by march I'm going to go with the walsh (huge) intake box out I here it's good just like fuelatv intake

copedaddy
01-25-2009, 07:34 AM
i run foam Uni 05 Honda TRX 450 air filters. they give you more surface area than the LTR filters and nothing gets through them. the power gain that you might notice from a paper filter isn't worth the valve jobs that come with it.

jherbie28
01-25-2009, 07:52 AM
you could always get a k&n replacement filter that uses the stock air box design

pitcrew
01-25-2009, 09:06 AM
there is a place on ebay that sells the pro design kit for like 85 bucks the cheapest ive seen. XCBOBS PARTS AND ACCESORIES INC. is the name of the place.

joecrack85
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
thanks for the feedback. not sure what to do yet

JL06LTR
01-27-2009, 10:51 PM
i definitely do not recommend the factory size K&N. I just switched back to a UNI foam filter because errrverytime i removed my K&N there was always a good bit of dust in my intake tube. Makes me nervous

joecrack85
01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
i wont go k&n ever. i was also wondering if the pro design filter would fit on the velocity flange. can anyone answer that

mopar04
01-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I've had very good luck with the Uni. Running a well maintained $27 Uni foam filter with the airbox lid off gives my LTR more than enough air with very little restriction (this is with a full Yosh RS-7 and Cherry Bomb). I even filled the air box up with muddy slime from a pool of water that had collected on the downhill side of a jump on the trail I was riding and it didn't even come close to choking the Uni. A quick spray of cleaner and a rinse and it was good as new. I tried a K&N, way overpriced and not worth the risk of letting small particles through.

atveric132
02-03-2009, 08:52 AM
the fuel or dasa intakes are the best for the ltr for motocross. i have a fuel on both my bikes and what you do is cut out the end of the stock air filter so u have a foam outerwear for the k&n style air filter

LTandRaptorider
04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by copedaddy
i run foam Uni 05 Honda TRX 450 air filters. they give you more surface area than the LTR filters and nothing gets through them. the power gain that you might notice from a paper filter isn't worth the valve jobs that come with it.

Does this filter fit a Pro Design flange? I got the kit with the K&N, wanting to go back to foam filter again.

copedaddy
04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
yes. that is what i am using.

LTandRaptorider
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
yes. that is what i am using.

Cool-thanks! :cool:

LTandRaptorider
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Note to others... A filter for a 450R does NOT fit in the LTR450 airbox. I forgot that the Honda filter is bigger. Was reminded tonight when I ripped open my new filter and tried to stuff it in the airbox... :o

Anybody need a new never used 450R Uni filter? :p

copedaddy
04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
a trx foam filter will fit in the ltr box. that is all that i use . just put the clamp on and push the rest in the box. it gives you alot more surface area than a ltr filter. once again...IT WILL FIT.

LTandRaptorider
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
a trx foam filter will fit in the ltr box. that is all that i use . just put the clamp on and push the rest in the box. it gives you alot more surface area than a ltr filter. once again...IT WILL FIT.

Well... The only way a filter from a 450R will fit in the LTR airbox is to remove the filter from the filter cage, then bunch the filter up and shove it in. The cage ( part inside filter) is an important part. Keeps the filter from collapsing under throttle. ;)

I guess I now have a present to give an ex-gf for her new 450R... :p

bobbo97f150
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
The uni filters will not collapse without the cage. I always throw the cage in the garbage when I get a new uni filter. Put the filter on without the cage and mash on the throttle. You'll see that it won't move.

copedaddy
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
exactly what I was saying. stop whinning and just put the thing on. if you don't feel comfortable with that filter, go back to the small stock one. I was just trying to help you out.

LTandRaptorider
04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
First of all, this is the internet... So I won't get into a long discussion trading barbs. Take the whining comment and stick it up your ***. :rolleyes:

Next, re-read what I wrote. Read again slowly if you need. Nowhere was I whining. I wanted to let others know that the 450R filter does NOT fit as it is. You have to take out the inner cage. For those that are cool doing so, then good for them. I am not. Perhaps the Uni filter is stiff enough that it won't collapse under throttle. The 450R filter is still much longer than the LTR filter. Yes, you can "stuff" it in the box... so to speak... But having a bunched up, folded air filter does not do good things for air flow. End of story. What we had here, and in my prevous messages was an exchange of information. No whining. Except perhaps on your part... ;)

Thanks for stopping, please come again when you can't stay so long.

copedaddy
04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
YOUR A DORK