PDA

View Full Version : relay/starting problem

BlasterEaten250
01-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I was riding out in the snow and all of the sudden my 400 shut off. When I tryed starting it again all that happens is I hear static noise coming from the relay (that I just replaced like a month ago). So after pushing it back to the garage I took the relay out and tried steel wool on the connections and stuff like that. After putting it back together it does the same thing. Just static noise, not turning over. I tried bump starting it and it will start like that. The lights work also. What the heck could be causing this?

and if it makes a difference the snow was really bumpy today.

Thanks

CK1999.400ex
01-24-2009, 06:43 PM
did you check the fuse ?
look to see if there is any snow in any of the electrical connections along the frame or arround the battery ??? also if the relay is wet on the inside it might cause that and when you try to start it it is shorting out inside !!!! try to dry it with a hair dryer or heat gun and reinstall and try to start it ... if that works then it needs to be sealed and yau can do that with some rtv gasket maker ...

lilyamaharacer4
01-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Lights wont work if the fuse is bad. Only way lights could work would be if you have the quad running and have them on, and it still wont be as bright as it normally is.

BlasterEaten250
01-24-2009, 07:36 PM
The first thing I checked was the fuse and that's not it. But you could be on to something, maybe something is shorting out because when I hit the start button the wires get hot.

BlasterEaten250
01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Well I swapped in a different relay I know that works and it does the same thing. Just a static noise coming from the relay. :confused:

I'm clueless

CK1999.400ex
01-24-2009, 08:02 PM
i think that you are getting a short ... i would use a hair dryer or heat gun and try to melt any snow and or get any moisture out of the electrical system and the try to start it ... i had the same problem 2 winters ago and i was getting 12 volts to the relay but only getting about 4 to 5 amps of power cause it was shorting out from the moisture on the battery and other wires in the quad ... so try to blow dry it some and go from there ....

been there done that lol

BlasterEaten250
01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
alright I'll try that. I'm desperate to get this thing going since we had a trip planned to go out to the lake tomorrow:ermm:

BlasterEaten250
01-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Well I tried jumping it just for the heck of it and it worked. So I think my battery is just dead so i have it on the charger tonight

trailrider894
01-25-2009, 07:44 PM
yeah i had the same issue spent 40 bucks on a new starter relay turns out there was a loose connection on the positve connection from the relay to the battery. i was so stupid that i didn't check that!!!:mad: so i wasted 40 dollars on something that is still sitting in the box in my shop. cause i couldn't return it!!! i would try taking off your rear fenders and sit there and try hitting on it with a small piece of wood,hammer,dogs chew toy,a can of mountain dew, etc. yes did this number on my quad for months before i really figured out the real issue!!!