PDA

View Full Version : new to racing blasters

weld_13
01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Well I picked up a blaster chassis last night, it basically has everything on it expect an engine and a seat. Right now I race a kawasaki mojave, we owned a blaster years back that I learned to ride on but it got stolen before we ever got into racing so I need tips. I really bought this for my brother to go race but now that I look into it I'm tempted to race the blaster lol

Isn't the contraption on top of the carb a tors unit that senses for loose cables, I'd rather not have things on there waiting to cause problems. How is it I go about taking this off? I just don't want to break anything in the process.

What can I do for lower cost mods? I've read over the vitos reeds for the stock cage being $20, it sounds like the way to go but what all is out there? I've found a dg silencer for a decent price are these an ok silencer http://www.atvoverstock.com/detail.aspx?ID=2343 What is a decent pipe to use? I've heard of people running 250r carbs and such on blasters, what's the size of the oem blaster carb and what's a good carb to use? As far as rear brakes I don't want anyone racing it without hydro at least on the rear, what all has been succesful out there other than an over-rated $200 kit from project blaster? I've thought about running a honda rear end on it but that may be farther down the road.

Suspension, well I probly don't plan on doing much on it right now but what are some good aftermarket shocks or even some oem take off's that people have used?

Sorry I have a ton of questions, but I'm more of a four stroke guy.

907Rider
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM
The stock carb is 26mm, for cheap mods I'd say a used fmf pipe, banshee front shocks,z400 rear shocks, take off the airbox lid, re-jet

DG silencers are ok but DO NOT get a dg pipe.You definatly want to remove your tors. The pipe/carb comb depends on what you are going to do. Say you have aggressive mx port or a 240 big bore, your going to want a 34mm or 35mm carb and a high volume pipe such a F7, dyno port, LRD ect.
If you race the number 1 most important thing is, suspension. Unlike mojaves which have good handling, stock blasters have horrible suspension.

Check out http://www.blasterforum.com/index.php They have everything you need to know about blasters.

mxblastermx
01-25-2009, 06:33 AM
projectblaster.com

They make a tors removel kit. Vitos racing sells it.
For cheap mods get a 400ex/450r rear shock,banshee front shocks,drop the front sprocket one tooth get some good tires such as maxxis and throw on a pipe a good carb for a lightly modded blaster is a 30mm because it still uses the stock intake manifold.The vitos reeds arnt bad,ur also gona want to get an oil injection block off kit from vitos

weld_13
01-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by mxblastermx
projectblaster.com

They make a tors removel kit. Vitos racing sells it.
For cheap mods get a 400ex/450r rear shock,banshee front shocks,drop the front sprocket one tooth get some good tires such as maxxis and throw on a pipe a good carb for a lightly modded blaster is a 30mm because it still uses the stock intake manifold.The vitos reeds arnt bad,ur also gona want to get an oil injection block off kit from vitos What ever happenned to project blaster, I know years before it was really popular but I just went and registered there's like no one on there?

Why do I need a removal kit for the tors? It just sounds like a waste of money:confused:

mxblastermx
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
it kinda went down hill cause most of the guys moved to 450s and the removal kit comes with the right lengh throttle cable and the cap as well as an idle kit if i remeber right

907Rider
01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by weld_13
Why do I need a removal kit for the tors? It just sounds like a waste of money:confused:
You don't, its a waste of money unless you have an 03' or new blaster. I see your at blasterfourm now :) check this out
http://www.blasterforum.com/showthread.php?t=655

907Rider
01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
You do want to buy a oil block off kit tho, if you diy you will mess it up. hahaha bad things happen

mxblastermx
01-26-2009, 04:40 AM
that wasnt a tors removal all he did was diconect it and leave it on.Why not just buy the kit and and do it right.

weld_13
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by mxblastermx
that wasnt a tors removal all he did was diconect it and leave it on.Why not just buy the kit and and do it right. Well if I understand right the kit has a tap, drill bit, and an idle screw. I've got drill bits and a tap so can I just but the idle screw and tap it if that's all I have to add?

And yes all he did was remove the wires lol:ermm:

mxblastermx
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
kit also comes with cap and new throttle calbe here haha this will explain better then i can lol

http://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=15&cat=227&page=1

heres the info on it

COMPLETE WITH CABLE-CAP AND IDLE KIT WITH TAP AND DRILL. LETS YOU ELIMINATE YOUR THROTTLE OVERIDE BOXES. EVERYTHING YOU NEED FROM THUMB CONTROL TO THE TOP OF THE CARB BODY - USE 101874 FOR CABLE REPLACEMENT

weld_13
01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok I was looking at the wrong one, dang $45 I'll leave it on there for now lol. Depends on if I sell it or not but I will probly just put a 250r carb on it anyway, I can get a carb for about the price of a removal kit

mxblastermx
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
yea butif u get a 250r carb you'll have to buy a bigger intake manifold to accept the bigger carb or u wont be able to hook it up

mxblastermx
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
bigger manifolds run about 55-70 u should just try to find a 30mm carb