PDA

View Full Version : Might be buying a 97 Warrior Need some opinions

EvilEVO
01-24-2009, 06:22 AM
I am potentially going to look at a 97 Yamaha Warrior 350 later today.
I have not seen the quad in person yet but from his discription it "runs but has a noise in the motor". (I'm sorry for the vague description of the sound but that's what I was told.) He says it could be something small, he just doesn't have the time to check it out. It also is said to need some front wheel bearings which doesn't concern me nearly as much as the engine sound obviously.

My question is in the worst case scenario how much would it cost me for a basic engine rebuild on this thing? What would the best case scenario be if it did not need a complete rebuild? What could it need?

He wanted $600 for the quad but said I can come take it away for $400. So even if the thing needed a complete rebuild, do you think it's worth it for the price I'm paying?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

storms400ex
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
if you can get it for 400 go for it. i rebuilt our 87 warrior for about 500 bucks but 225 was for a new sleeve pressed into. first time it was ever rebuilt so 87-07 20 years on engine. never touched bottom end just top and runs like new now

motox92
01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
warriors have alot of engine problems, I had a noise coming from mine it was the crank. replaced it and sold it

rob_990
01-25-2009, 07:30 AM
ya id get it if its only 400 bucks

01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by motox92
warriors have alot of engine problems, I had a noise coming from mine it was the crank. replaced it and sold it

You have to be kidding me lol.

The warrior has to be one of the best, strongest built motors I have ever seen. Their trans is designed to handle double the hp easily. I constantly see warriors from the 80's on the original bore/piston that have been beat to hell, but still run great.

BancheeFew
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
They are good bikes but it is a 97 so wach for damages or put some new 2009 goodies on it.