PDA

View Full Version : bad day

rob_990
01-23-2009, 11:20 PM
i blew a head gasket last sunday.so i ordered a cometic gasket kit,new rings, and a crf timing chain. when i took thecylender off i put the ring in it and i saw the gap was a little wide.then i took my right crankcase off to install the new chain and i found a bunch of small pieces of metal.then i rel;ized it was piston peices. so they guy i bought it from lied and said all it had is a cam.but i found out he blew it up and its bored .5 over. DOES ANY BODY KNOW WHAT SIZE MOTOR I HAVE?? it was all going good then i broke a bolt in the clutch basket. i was super pissed.then we finally got that out and found another bolt that fit. when i was putting it back together i realized that the top end gasket kit didnt even come with a head cover .that really pissed me off.i dont know what kind of piston is in there.then i was putting it back together earlier tonight i was scraping gasket off with a razor and my hand hit the trouble light and i jumped and cut my knuckle.so i just got back from the hospital cause i had to get stitches and the worst part is that i cant use my hand for like a week so i cant race sunday and i cant work on my quad.i cant even play xbox. this week sucks!

racerdan24
01-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh...I would have to say that was a bad day...i wish i could help ya out but i think you have had enough for one day...

sprayedgt
01-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by rob_990
but i found out he blew it up and its actually bored .5 over. DOES ANY BODY KNOW WHAT SIZE MOTOR I HAVE??

If he bored it .5 I would assume you mean .5mm's which would bring it to a 402cc engine.

CC = .7854 x 85.5mm x 85.5mm x 70mm x 1 = 401902.9245 divided by 1,000 = 401.92cc.

Sorry about the string of bad luck man. I've been there before and know exactly what it feels like.

drew416ex
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
You cant use any rings on the piston. If its a oem piston, you have to use oem rings. If its a wiseco you have to use wiseco. Mostlikely at that size over, its a honda piston.

rob_990
01-24-2009, 11:14 AM
alright thanks

rob_990
01-24-2009, 10:48 PM
i went to the honda shop today to get some new rings and they wanted to charge me 45 bucks so i decided screw that its almost half the price of a piston!!i might as well just save up and make it a 416.
but im wondering would it be worth getting it? how much more power would i get and who makes the best piston?

drew416ex
01-25-2009, 08:37 AM
if you go up to 11:1 compression you should have a noticable gain. On that you can still run 93 octane pump gas. Wiseco, JE, and CP are all good brands.

rob_990
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
wheres a good place to get them?

brian76708
01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
this is where i got mine http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/productinfo_item_303-dc_520.htm

but they sent me the wrong piston the first time but they sent me out the right one to me but it took them a little while.

rob_990
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
i already have a cam is there any place i can just get a piston kit?

brian76708
01-25-2009, 06:33 PM
i already have a cam is there any place i can just get a piston kit?

sorry i just sent the one i had bookmarked heres just the piston http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/productinfo_item_370-dc_520.htm

if you look around you can get other then je though atleast i think.

rob_990
01-25-2009, 07:04 PM
alright thanks

pitkendall
01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
while u have the clutch cover off and since you said he had exploded a piston before you should take the screen outa the bottom end a clean it out its a 10mm bolt behind the clutch basket i bet there is alot in that thing

rob_990
01-26-2009, 07:07 AM
alright ill have to look at that hope fully wedness day if my hand gets better.

dustin_j
01-26-2009, 07:51 AM
when i was putting it back together i realized that the top end gasket kit didnt even come with a head cover gasket.so now i gotta order new piston rings and another gasket.

You can reuse your head cover gasket, it's a good steel one. No top end gasket kits come with these, from my experience.

rob_990
01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
yea mine definatly wasnt a steel one the guy before me must of put something else in there.

rob_990
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
heres another question.

when i started taking the quad apart the T was allined a little bit to the leftwhen the timing sproket was lined up perfectly. im wondering if i should put it back together that way or if i should line it up perfect? could this have been the reason why it is ticking? Do you think it came this way or did the guy before me not know what he was doing?

jaredbeast
01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I had a problem with my cam timing being off before i did my rebuild. No matter what tooth it was on it was always just off to either side. After my rebuild it lined up dead on though. I wish i could tell you what I did to fix it but I put in cam, timing chain, tensioner, kibblewhite valvetrian, hotrod crank/rod, and a 11:1 piston.

turboed
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
i cut myself working on a quad once with a razor also and they burned mine at the er so it would stop bleeding so no stitches for me,sorry hope your luck gets better.

pitkendall
01-27-2009, 12:37 AM
when you put it back together make sure the T on the flywheel is lined up with the notch in the window put the cam in with the lobes all faceing down and put your cam sproket so the 2 paralel lines (bolt holes) lineup with the head and make sure that the outher line is pointing straight up and you should be good.
my sproket was off like that after haven a so called top notch guy around here put it together for me cus i was working like 60 hrs a week and had no time to do it but long story short he put the cam in 180 out so i had to go back and fix his mistake and my sproket was off just a lil 1 way or another and after putting it back toghether i found out the chain and tensioner was bad so replaced tensioner and jus now got to change the chain and that solved the loud ticking problem and the sproket being off now its dead nutts on so if u havent already replace the chian and the guides if there worn best money spent