PDA

View Full Version : R owner again

smokinwrench
01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Few years ago I had a 85 atc250r, I sold it and bought a banshee then a 400ex, Troy lee Predator, 525 Outlaw, all in about 4 years. I always missed the R. I just sold my Outlaw and took a 86 atc R in on trade. Then today I went and picked up an 89 R. I got both machines that I had been wanting, now I have lots of work to do.

86 R has a brand new esr 310 kit with trx9 porting hasn't even had heat cycles doen yet. I have it tore down right now waiting on clutch parts.
89R was sent to ESR a few years ago then sold to another guy that left it outside so it has weathered terribly the last 3 years. It has a trx11 pipe and not sure what else. Guy thought it was sold a few weeks ago, guy came to test ride it, didn't know how to ride I guess. He took it wide open and apparently didn't know how to shift he said it died and he got it fired right back up but it died again and the motor locked up. I'm not to proud of the welded on homeade nerfs.

I plan to ground ups on both machines before a ride we are going to in April at Waynoka. Hopefully I can afford to buy some aftermarket suspension parts before then.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/smokinwrench/89r2.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/smokinwrench/89r1.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/smokinwrench/89r4.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/smokinwrench/89r3.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/smokinwrench/89r5.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/smokinwrench/250r1.jpg

LONG-ROD
01-24-2009, 11:16 AM
welcome back, you should find all the info you need here. that esr pipe is huge. I will be in wanoka march 19 tru weekend. have fun at the snake hunt.

smokinwrench
01-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Its good to be back!

I don't do snake hunt, way to many part time riders. We are going down the weekend of the 25th.

Yeah that pipe is giant, I wonder if it would work well with the esr310 kit with the trx9 porting?

Is there a difference in topends? I thought all long rod motors had a spacer plate? Is there a spot that I can tell what year engines I have? I wonder because the atc is an 86 and they came out with a silver colored engine and its black?

Cr85rRida
01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
nice, but for goodness sakes ditch those "nerfs" LOL and get some better, more efficent ones haha :p

LONG-ROD
01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
not sure on the year of motor on the atc, i have long rod crank and run no spacer. i think if you run a long rod with 86-87 style piston you need a plate, and same with yz piston. i thought they where all black. I think that pipe is for top end, I don't no anything about trx 9 porting.

smokinwrench
01-24-2009, 11:01 PM
I cut the nerfs off today, still need to grind off the welds.

Also tore down motor and found bad crank bearing.:eek:

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Dang son, thats the first time I ever seen a 2fiddyR wif floor boards.
Hey, & the ol 3 wheeler, that cylinder is brand new, Eddie just came out with those.
Neil

smokinwrench
01-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Dang son, thats the first time I ever seen a 2fiddyR wif floor boards.
Hey, & the ol 3 wheeler, that cylinder is brand new, Eddie just came out with those.
Neil

Yeah I know, I can sell you those floor boards for $89.99 shipped! :D

Yeah, I seen that on the 3 wheeler, it hasn't even been broke in yet. I think I'm going to put the 3wheeler topend on the trx, but I think I will need a spacer plate then or buy a new long rod piston.

Is it ok to run a crank that has a had a main bearing lock up? Crank looks good, I was going to take it to work and chuck it up on the lathe and make sure its striaght.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
89.99 shipped, :D :D :D , other than a front bumper on a 4X4, what would I use them for :D .
Wonder where they came from, Cabelas maybe.

On the 86 engine, shucks, just put the whole engine in the 89 frame. Only thing about the 86 was the transmission gears, but you got to think about those any year model cause all of them will break sooner or later.
I wouldnt break it down & change it unless your just wondering what the insides look like or who ever it was put it together, how good they did it.
Neil

smokinwrench
01-25-2009, 12:28 PM
The nerfs/mower deck was all homeade and welded right to the frame.

I have cases split. I am wondering if I can put an aftermarket rod kit on the stock Honda crank? I looked on Service Honda, they do not show a rod kit for the trx, only complete cranks. I just hate to put it back together without replacing a 20 year old rod and bearing, but I want to keep my stock crank after reading about hotrod and wiseco cranks. I will chuck this crank up on the lathe Monday and see if its straight.

Now that you say that I might just put the entire atc motor in the trx.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Right now, about the best replacement rod kit you can get is the Pro-x.
The part number for the short rod, 86/86 models #04980 & for the long rod, 87/88/89 models # 04971
LA Sleeve should still have these in stock on the shelf, hopefully, but because they are dropping the Pro-x line, might be possible they dont.
If you need to rebuild the crank & cant find a rod kit, let me know & I'll see if I can locate one.
Neil

smokinwrench
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for that info. I have inspected the crank, the rod and bearing look good.

Right now I think I'm just going to run it. Just do a basic rebuild new crank bearings, all new seals. Put this motor in the atc. That way I can use the extra cash to buy some aftermarket suspension parts for the trx.

Can you recomend a pipe for the 310 kit, it has trx9 porting, rad valve, reed spacer, 38mm carb. It will be mainly a dune bike and run 3-4 harescrambles per year.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Never done scrambles, that about the same as GNCC, if it is, you need bottom end pipe & you wont find a better bottom end pipe than a CT midrange. Dont look for a lot of over rev from it though.

For dunes, the ESR TRX5 should work ok. You'll have good lower mid & will rev some as well. It might be ok for the scrambles, only thing the engine can rev more.
Neil