PDA

View Full Version : where to make keys

ae13291
01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
i know i havent tried yet but does anybody know if the honda dealer will make spare keys for our quads and bikes? or can home depot or lowes be able to make a key that will still work? thanks guys

Newrider08
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
If you have your factory key just drop by a locksmith and have them cut you one, lowes and walmart may be able to do it.

In my town the honda dealer will not cut a key but they have the blanks and they will sell you that for less than 10 bucks and you just take that to a locksmith and have them cut it.

The benefit to getting one from the honda dealer is that they have the rubber grommet sleeve around them and if you buy a key from a locksmith they wont have that.

Newrider08
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Forgot to add, I lost one of my factory keys last week so I only had one key. I went to the local locksmith today and he cut me two keys for $8.53 so that is a great deal. I will go to the honda dealer when I get time to buy the rubber sleeve type but for a spare key you really cant beat 4 bucks each

dsherw00d
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
My Honda dealer doesn't have the ability to make keys, but I think if you loose both, they can get you a new one with VIN. I guess you could just replace the ignition switch as well.

HD, Walmart, Lowes, etc should be able to make them. I had extras made at Walmart - it was about $3. I'm not sure you will find a matching blank, but they can grind the pattern. They are less complicated than auto keys.

CJM
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I got mine cut at home depot, they should have a very similar key that fits.

ae13291
01-23-2009, 10:20 PM
thanks for the reply guys, i bought my quad with only 1 key and i really dont wanna lose it. i will give my locksmith a try see how much he can make me 2 extra keys. thanks again guys

trailrider894
01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
i told my honda dealer i wanted two keys for a 2000 400ex and gave em the vin and the lady went back came out 1min later and said here u go gave my two keys for $5 bucks a piece. already lost both of em. lol