PDA

View Full Version : Battery Drain?

JL06LTR
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
My LTR will not start normally. I can push start it and ride it for as long as I want w/ no issues. If I cut it off and immediately try to crank it again, it will. But if I let it sit for 30 sec. to a minute it will not start. Not enough battery juice to fire. I have searched for obvious connection problems and found nothing. Has anyone had the same issue or have any ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LTRracer4
01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
yeah, its happened to me before. How old is the battery? ive tried charging them, but ive had the best luck with just buying a new one. they are not cheap by any means though. should last a season or a little less.

JL06LTR
01-23-2009, 06:16 PM
really don't think it's the battery. I can cut off the quad, take the battery out immediately, wait for as long as I want, hook it back up and it fires right up. If i cut if off, leave the battery in and try to start it, it won't. Something is causing it to drain.

Pappy
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Youre going to have to look for a possible dead short...a wire rubbed bare maybe.

What is the battery voltage after it fails to start? I would hook a multimeter to it when it does it and start checking wires while watching the multimeter to see if it jumps around.

LTRracer4
01-23-2009, 09:52 PM
ive had that issue too. the wires by the fuses and by the battery box. as your holding the button and cranking it over wiggle those and move them around with your hand and see if it starts to crank harder. some what relates to what Pappy said.

copedaddy
01-23-2009, 09:53 PM
i would just put a kick start on it and get rid of the battery. i have one and love it. never a problem.

JL06LTR
01-23-2009, 11:34 PM
a kick start would definitely kick ***. electrical stuff is just one more thing to malfunction and cause headaches. I'll try playing w/ those wires around the fuses too, thanks