PDA

View Full Version : mix matching shocks?

brandonpeake
01-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I am curious if you are running X brand in the front and y brand in the rear, what are the serious issues to expect or just expect neirhter to perform to their potential.
I had noticed several people running fox fronts and axis rears last year or the year before.

Alot of it is people can find a good deal on frants and then cant find their rear without buying new,

I mean if you get fronts and rears setup BY THE SAME PERSON forn you and riding style elc should they be fine?

I am in the sitiation I am about to make the decision to shell out for new rear shock when i have an existing rear that is the right shock for my application.;
if you need more info thats fine let me know I am kinda juat wanting a general anwser here/

LTRracer4
01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
i know the fox evol fronts go well with PEP rears. the Podium rear is very similar to the PEP rear. Axis Ti rear shock is very hard to make ride well with anyother front shocks then Axis Ti's. i have a friend that uses evols fronts with a standard axis rear and he is happy with it. the axis Ti's are really the only ones ive heard dont work good separated.

ALAMX37
01-24-2009, 09:30 AM
A lot of people dislike the Fox rear is why you see the mismatching. IDK why but I have heard several complain about the Podium rear. Like LTR said it is hard to go wrong with the PEP rear. I was unaware they were tuned for the front shocks they are ran with. they are two different ends serving two different purposes. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

JH Racing
01-24-2009, 12:17 PM
One thing you need to watch is using a ZPS zero preload in the rear and a preloaded shock in the front this cause the bike to push due to the rear end squating. You can use ZPS fronts and not rear though without a problem.

KingpinsEx
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Yea the only issue you might have is ride height, that needs to be correct front and back. But if they are valved for you, I see no problems whatsoever. I previously ran elka fronts and an axis rear on my 400ex and it was a nice setup, no complaints whatsoever...

trailrider894
01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
give me two numbers one a single digit and another a double digit and we could make a equations with all these x and y's!!

number52
01-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I think the X's would be mad at the Y shocks and they won't get along! Only issue you need to worry about is what JH Racing said.