PDA

View Full Version : What should I do here???

rhandw69
12-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Ok heres my dilema, Im needing to do something to my bike. Im thinking 39 FCR, along with Curtis Sparks pipe, and full race port. The problem is I dont have the money to do it all at once. So Im looking for opinions, experience or thoughts, as to which one should be done first. Im thinking that if i put the carb on, i wont benefit from it without the port work. Im thinking I wont benefit from the port work unless I upgrade the exhaust system. I have the stock head pipes along with the WB slip on. XR cam. 416. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

loganB
12-20-2002, 05:20 PM
I would go with the Pipe Becase that is what Im going to do Im going to start selling stock partes to buy a WB full sistum.

ChrisLRD
12-20-2002, 05:26 PM
**No commercial advertising**

frogburner
12-20-2002, 06:21 PM

Dune Surfer
12-20-2002, 08:06 PM
I would get the carb. I think you will get the most HP out of it.

rhandw69
12-21-2002, 12:43 AM
For the longest time ive wanted the carb. Im just not sure if its worth the money if i dont do the port work along as well. From what i hear, is that all i would be doing is pumping more fuel to the motor, but the motor isnt set up to flow it, therefore to feel any effects of the carb, port work is a must. Im no way sure if that is accurate or not, just hearsay. Yes I know that my current exhaust set is good for low to mid range power delivery. Off the line i can pull very very good. After that however,,its shut down time. Im kinda thinking that maybe if i had an exhaust that flowed better to allow more mid to top pull that it would be better. Once again, i am in no way sure about this. Just looking for thoughts from others.
Thanks

Maryland 400EX
12-21-2002, 06:13 AM
I did the pipe first and was truly amazed. I noticed the increase in torque which required less downshifting. This was a welcome addition due to the stock gearing which is rather tall on a 400 EX. The X-6 Pipe sounds so good that everybody I ride with are now wanting pipes! Three days ago I installed the 39 FCR and I was flabbergasted! Just whacking the throttle in the garage you could feel the thunder as the revs climbed. Mid and top end has increased dramatically. The carb definitely gives a bigger power gain than the pipe but together it's a whole different quad.

12-21-2002, 04:39 PM
get the pipe first, then get the port work done, then get the carb, if you get a port job, with a stock header, you wont feel a diference at all hardly, cuz the more air and gas you have, it enters a lot faster thanks to the bigger port, but it cant escape fast enough cuz of the small header, the airflow wont b fast enough so the stock head will cancel the port job out

ZMAN
12-21-2002, 07:18 PM
talk 2 stupid driver he will tell you!;) ;)

oregonrider89
12-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Do the pipe, then the carb, then the porting.

oregonrider89

stupid driver
12-21-2002, 09:25 PM
i think maryland400ex will agree w/ me, the sparks pipe, and 39fcr together make ur 400 a different quad. you cant go wrong with this pair of mods.

12-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Save up the cash and do it all at once.

Why I say this is because you dont really need the carb with your current mods, and you allready have an exhaust, and most of these mods would work a lot better with the porting and the cam you forgot to mention.