PDA

View Full Version : TNT’s 09 DS450 REBUILD:

TNT
01-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Starting this thread to exchange info….got started and a look at my motor yesterday.

Intake needs a lot of work. We are sending it off for a plastic rebuild (reshape) to remove all the rubber, enlarge the filter. Should be available in about two weeks, anyone interested let me know.

The TB casting has a close tolerance machined surface common to the valve and a ridge the cutter left that can be smoothed out to increase flow, reduce turbulance. It can also be bored and reshaped to converge (in) or diverge (out) ( taper), and then polished with a 3M buffing wheel to obtain a smooth surface. We are building a new butterfly valve for it. The fitting at the intake manifold where the injector is, even worse, where it takes a sharp bend needs grinding to a smooth radius. Head ports same thing. If you want us to do this for you PM me and I’ll give you the address of my friends company to ship to.

The stock exhaust is extremely heavy and inefficient. My buddy has about ten different ones he can offer depending on your needs. We are having a custom made for the DS will be available in a couple of weeks. Let me know if interested.

We think we can make the big ports work for us with the right intake/exhaust.

Not sure about the injector yet we need to pull it look at it’s capacity.

Taking the crank out to see if we want to build another one and/or stroke it.

Not sure about the radiator yet we’ll take some temp readings on the dyno when the motor is done. We can build and offer a custom if necessary.

dbkbushwacker
01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Do you have any pics and prices of these 10 different pipes ur buddy has? Do you have any dyno results?

TNT
01-26-2009, 05:37 AM
I'll get some pics soon of his exhaust and intakes......Thing that he does is build a pipe to your mods and exhaust pressure and he has the most header transitions I have seen. Thats why you cant dyno a pipe w/mods then expect to get the same results on a quad w/different mods, pipes work best when tailored to the exact exhaust flow thats what the pros do. Once we get on the dyno and flow bench and see what my engine does we will be able to determine alot more for different mods....Were about 3 weeks out for that. First TQRA pro race is Feb 14 hope to be done by then. I'm going to try and keep this thread posted on our progress. It was interesting to hold the stock exhaust in one hand and his in the other about half the weight....the stock is a restrictive tank and needs replacement asap!

PS: Be cool to have a thread on race results to see how the DS is doing. :D

FHKracingZ
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
you do know that you do NOT want a smooth finish in the intake side of the complete bike...

TNT
01-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Why not?

fandl450r
01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by TNT1
Why not?

Because the intake side mixes fuel/air, so if it's smooth, it won't mix as well...

TNT
01-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Because the intake side mixes fuel/air, so if it's smooth, it won't mix as well...

Ok thanks for letting me know that, your getting outside my area of expertise, my mechanic is putting it on a flow bench soon I hope to be there and watch. Thx again!

fandl450r
01-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Ok thanks for letting me know that, your getting outside my area of expertise, my mechanic is putting it on a flow bench soon I hope to be there and watch. Thx again!

Not a problem. My mechanic explained it to me one day as well when he ported a 450R head for me. Basically from what I understand the exhaust side should be smooth, since its expelling gas so the smoother the flow the better. But intake side since it does mix air/fuel it sometimes is choppy so "turbulence" is created and helps the air and fuel mix a lot better.

ScottB125
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
It helps keep the fuel atomized. If not, it tends to drop out and collect on the port walls.

TQRA, no ****! I was going to try and race a few of those. Feb 14...so you are coming to Village Creek? That is in my backyard, I live in Fort Worth. We need to hook up!

TNT
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ScottB125
It helps keep the fuel atomized. If not, it tends to drop out and collect on the port walls.

TQRA, no ****! I was going to try and race a few of those. Feb 14...so you are coming to Village Creek? That is in my backyard, I live in Fort Worth. We need to hook up!

I want to go to Village but my sons girlfreind is beaching too much since its valentines but we will be at Cooperland with this DS for sure....Look up #101 Portier, hell be trying to catch JH in the pro class, been trying for years unsucessfully! lol!

ScottB125
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I want to go to Village but my sons girlfreind is beaching too much since its valentines but we will be at Cooperland with this DS for sure....Look up #101 Portier, hell be trying to catch JH in the pro class, been trying for years unsucessfully! lol!

Where is Cooperland?

Who is JH? I'm still new to the racing scene, so I don't know alot of their names.

TNT
01-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Cooperland is in Stillwater Oklahoma, best track on the TQRA circuit.

You'll find JH, Johnney Hale out front of the pro class unless The Millers, Thomas Brown, or Caloub Moore shows for some pre-season training....Cody and Hunter Miller are both TQRA bred Cody in on a Can AM running ATVA pro and Hunter running IPT pro on a DS(both X-yamahaulers)....Thomas Brown running 08 pro-am ATVA national champ on a YAM, then of course Caloub Moore Bomb Squad back flip king!! ...both TQRA bred... JH runs about mid ATVA pro-am on a Honda.

Anyway we have been running with this pack of very fast racers on a YAM for years, JH is the only one that runs TQRA alot. The president Rick, is a nice guy. TQRA very family orientate, nice peeps!

Everyone knows us there, just ask or I am in a big black 46 fifth wheel you cant miss.

Hoping this DS steps us up a few notches this year! We are training hard and of course you see me out here alot trying to get this quad ready.

Hope to meet you at the COOP!

Terry :D

ScottB125
01-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Everyone I've talked to says its a good series.

Austin Wilson is suppose to race TQRA also. I got to see him ride a few weeks ago....pretty amazing.

TNT
01-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
you do know that you do NOT want a smooth finish in the intake side of the complete bike...

Finally talked to my mechanic today and he said not true we want smooth for fuel injection the injector spray atomizes unlike a carb the intake air.

crixal
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
johnny hale has a nice track in his front yard right off highway 169. i drive by there all times of the day and he is never riding it. i'd ride the track everyday if i had one, lol.

WesDS450X
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
you guys need an all sand MX course. =]