PDA

View Full Version : '06 & up gearing / ratios

MtnEX
01-23-2009, 12:08 AM
I have a question for you guys to call a salesman's bluff....

I have only ever ridden an '05 450R... which had a smaller front sprocket installed... and I still felt the gearing was too high for the tight woods.

The salesman says that in '06 they changed up the gearing... don't know if he meant different trans ratios or different final drive sprocket gearing.

He says they are a way better woods machine than the '05 I've ridden.

Is this true?... Or just a sales bluff?

01-23-2009, 12:32 AM
the 06 has one less tooth up front...but, to me, it isn't a great trail machine...

MtnEX
01-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks...

Your sig line says a lot.

If I keep my 400EX, I think I'm going for a 416 too.

If I trade it, I think I'll go with one of the other 450's (KFX/YFZ) and leave it pretty much stock... just dial it in for woods only... or get a 700R and some sort of lowering linkages.

250R
01-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
the 06 has one less tooth up front...but, to me, it isn't a great trail machine...

I am curious , whay did you not like it for trail riding?

quad2xtreme
01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
My wife runs a 2008 450r with HRC kit in the trails with one tooth lower on the front. It isn't as easy to ride in tight trails but it will smoke the 400ex with a good rider on more open trails. She prefers the 450r because it is lighter. I had to put 2005 caster/camber adjustable a-arms, 2005 hubs and spindles, and grind the steering stem stop to get it to turn sharply.

I still ride my 400ex because I like the low end torque, can relax more and enjoy the ride. I run a full 450r brake setup on my 400ex so I really don't notice the difference in the weight. You can do this conversion using 2006+ hubs, spindles, and brake calipers.

It is really a personal choice. It will be hard for you to tell which one you would like better until you get to spend some time on both in YOUR trails. I can tell you that if you go with the 450r and ride in tight trails then you better plan on spending some extra dough to get it to handle really well.

I haven't met anyone who regrets buying a newer Raptor for all out fun in the trails.

01-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 250R
I am curious , whay did you not like it for trail riding?
quad2extreme kinda hit it on the head...

it is hard to ride in tight trails, where i spend most of my time. the rpms need to be in the upper range or it will stall, it is very similar to a 2 stroke in that regard. it didn't handle as well in the tight stuff as the 400ex did. the suspension needs some work for the hard, but slower riding that i do. i ride with a lot of smaller utes on occasion and they just can't go 70 mph in trails. we usually stick most people between myself and my father in law. i bring up the rear because i know the trails and can run down anybody we get separated from. the 450r was not right for following.

don't get me wrong, if i was running wide open all of the time, i would still have the 450r...maybe...as i had an issue with it starting when hot...i finally got it to start well, but it was going to be too much maintenance with keeping the valve lash in spec...i actually enjoying doing preventative maint. on my machines, but tearing into the valves all the time just wasn't for me...

quad2xtreme
01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
i would still have the 450r...maybe...as i had an issue with it starting when hot...i finally got it to start well, but it was going to be too much maintenance with keeping the valve lash in spec...i actually enjoying doing preventative maint. on my machines, but tearing into the valves all the time just wasn't for me...

Nobody has been able to figure it out but I have 3 years on mine without adjusting the valves. I ride year round.

01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
it def. improved after i had the valves adjusted, but i had the hrc cam installed at the same time so maybe there was a something there...it seems like it is either a non existent problem for some and total p.i.t.a. for others

i traded with coryatver shortly after and he has had no probs at all with the starting...i am still happier on the 400ex though...

S.A.J
01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
MtnEX if you do bore it out i would go 426,i have a 416(for sale) and it just aint all that fast,i mean for a 400 its okay but i raced a 05 450r(totaly stock) and bottom end i got em till end of 3rd or so,but keep in mind 3rd for a 400 is like 2nd for a 450r and i would realy like to keep up betr with them,idk if the extra 10cc's would make a big dif but im sry i didnt do it,ive also heard from alot of people that they like and think 426 is the best setup,just my 0.02 take it or leave it.

MtnEX
02-05-2009, 02:15 AM
I've only ridden an '05 and know I do not like it down low... it has no low... and it's pushy in the turns... it does not corner like my EX.

Tonight I'm not feeling so hot and I was bored, so I lucked up and found a review on the 06 450R. According to that review, here is the skinny on the gearing changes the salesman was telling me about.

"Closer ratio gearbox, as well as lower final drive and primary drive ratios"

The review said the front was 13t.
I think the gearing is 13/38 at the chain, and different in the box.

They also said it pushed less.

morse250r
02-05-2009, 06:46 AM
06 has a differant gear ratio internally i love mine for the trails you just have to learn how to ride it !

02-05-2009, 07:04 AM
the 450r will cause you to work more...my 06 450r was nothing like the 400ex in handling...even after a grand in suspension and controls for comfort...

to give you an idea...i had 4500 bars on my 400ex...i wanted to try the 450r grips but i found a new set of take off bars with grips cheaper than i could buy just the grips...anyway...i loved them on the 400ex...bought the 450r...hated the bars instantly...

i never rode an 04/05 450r, but i know the 06 still pushes and the gearing is still rpm loving on the 06 and newer...

the 450r is a race machine...it is made to go balls to the wall...it takes a lot of work to be able to ride it in tighter areas like a 400ex...i could go on a 3 hour ride(with a few stops) on the 450r and be dead tired where as a 5 hour ride at the same pace on a 400ex left me feeling just as refreshed as when i started...

MtnEX
02-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, for basically the same money I can have an Outlaw, a KFX450R, or a 700R.

All these have reverse.

02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
i would go with the the raptor...my only complaint i had with it when i had a chance to ride one was that it felt even more tippy than the 450r...it didn't seem to handle quite as well as my 450r, because of this...but if i had more time on it, i think i would have adapted to it quicker than i did the 450r...even after 2 years on the 450r, i still was not as comfy and confident on it as i am the ex...

i've never ridden a kfx and i'd never consider a polaris(personal preference)...

i still think for the money, especially with what you have in the ex, that a 426 build will make you happy...again...pm lonestar_r. he has owned an ltr450 and a 400ex, and spent more time on a yfz 450 than i have...he says his 426 ex is comparable to them...i know it can walk away from my 416 just like his new 450r walked away from my 400ex...

honestly, i have never missed reverse since going from a 300ex to a 400ex. over 6 years ago...

MtnEX
02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I know what you mean about the Raptor... it seems a bit leggy and the engine is TALL too.

I've already cut my Raptor choices to the 07 GYTR and 08 models.
I'd have to have the fully adjustable suspension all around.
And it still might need some sort of lowering links or something...

With the stroke on that engine it's gotta have good low end grunt.

02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
it does, but it was smooth so you really don't notice it...it wasn't my machine, so i didn't put it through the paces like i would have if it were mine...i followed him on the trails for a while and the suspension seemed plush...it worked well(he is about 6'ish and around 225...ex-military in good shape)...i was kinda jealous of his suspension(mine was still stock at the time). get the ride height down and it would be a perfect machine...

but then you are going back to a stock machine and spending money on it...

i'll admit, even though i am a honda guy...the local shop had the one i rode(with lots of goodies) for a good price...i considered trading the 450r in on that...the one thing that held me back was replacing some of the parts that wouldn't cross over that the rappy didn't have...

MtnEX
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah, that's the down side.... skids, tires, etc... at least... all to buy over again.

warr72
02-06-2009, 08:34 AM
My son HAD a new 08 rapturd and it was just that a turd! It was the most unforgivable handling quad I have ever rode. It had plenty of guts, but what is that when it can't or won't corner. The high center of gravity made it feel unpredictable and it was. Sold a 400ex to get him a new rapturd and now he wants a 400ex to ride again. :huh

MtnEX
02-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Well fellas... I have looked and looked for weeks now...

I've found some leftover Raptor 700R's...
But in the process I have figured out why they still have them several years old. They still want full MSRP for them, and will still be keeping them as far as I'm concerned.

To date I have found 3 that were reasonably priced.

One turned out NOT to be new and is already sold.
One is exactly what I want, but I found it online and it's 500 miles away.
One is in my state, but it's the gray one.

http://images.motorsportdealers.com/common/MediaLibrary/Units/26620/images/250/5956370e57.jpg

I don't think it is a bad looking quad... but I don't think it's my style. I prefer the blue or white (factory-racey) and I have not found a graphics kit yet that I think would change that.

I'm probably just going to cut the 700R from the list.

MtnEX
02-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Also......

I now have to take this back...

Originally posted by MtnEX
Well, for basically the same money I can have an Outlaw, a KFX450R, or a 700R.

All these have reverse.

Things have since changed.

Now I can have a TRX450R (ER) for $1,000 less.

That's just quoted price though (none have looked at my trade).

I would really be lying if I said I was NOT right back to considering the 450R. I just found out Saturday, and I've had a million thoughts since about it.

$1,000 could buy me a Rekluse pro clutch, gearing changes and some other goodies too.

I have even spent some time thinking about what might be transferrable from my 400EX over to the 450R. (just selling or parting out the EX later)

There is not a lot on my EX I'd want to keep if I wasn't getting another EX. My tires and wheels would transfer. My Probend guards would. I have the Protaper bars ONLY if the R bars are way too high. My nerfs could transfer (if I wanted). My front bumper probably could too.

The one thing I wonder though is if my PRM skids would work?
I have a full set under my EX... that would be a big savings.

speedyquad,

Would my PRM skids transfer over?
Or are they so different there is no chance?

02-15-2009, 10:32 AM
skids will not transfer...no chance at it either...nerfs will
like i said about the bars...i had 450r bars on my other ex...loved them there....hated 450r bars on the 450r...so i say keep the clamp and the bars just in case

that 1000, and then some, will go towards suspension and a rekluse real quick...i wish i had had more than one ride with the rekluse...rode once, bent a tie rod a few miles in limped back got the 400ex and decided the 450r had to go...took the rekluse out the following week...sold it and was stuck with the 450r for another year before taking a loss trying to get rid of it...the bike was a year old, less than 50 hours on it..a few goodies and my best offer on an atv that i was asking 5000 for was 3800...i started riding it again after that...

MtnEX
02-15-2009, 02:25 PM
skids will not transfer...no chance at it either...nerfs will
like i said about the bars...i had 450r bars on my other ex...loved them there....hated 450r bars on the 450r...so i say keep the clamp and the bars just in case

that 1000, and then some, will go towards suspension and a rekluse real quick...i wish i had had more than one ride with the rekluse...rode once, bent a tie rod a few miles in limped back got the 400ex and decided the 450r had to go...took the rekluse out the following week...sold it and was stuck with the 450r for another year before taking a loss trying to get rid of it...the bike was a year old, less than 50 hours on it..a few goodies and my best offer on an atv that i was asking 5000 for was 3800...i started riding it again after that...

Well, I for two also wish you had more than one ride with the Rekluse.

I'm sure it makes it less work to ride, etc... but I also figure it would possibly mean more clutch material wear.

Thanks for the info on the parts crossover.