PDA

View Full Version : lighting..need more power?

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
ok i have two questions.
i have bought a set of universal lights, they mount whereever, they are 35 watts a piece I THINK. ill have to check. will my 400 have enough power to use those?

my other question is... me and my dad got an ingenious idea to mount them on the plastic. i want to see if anyone thinks this will look cool, or if i should mount them somewhere else. here is a picture of my quad, and the circles are where the lights would be mounted, btw they are round and chrome, they are kinda small. ill post a picture of them sitting on there tommorow. just tell me what you think..

here is a pic of where they would be.
http://i41.tinypic.com/13z0j90.jpg

see where the plastic bolts down? well the screws to mount the lights are coincidently the same size so they will fit perfect. has anyone ever done this? i like to be unique with my rebuilds and projects, like stuff people have never seen. criticism is welcomed!

rob_990
01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
ya i think i know what lights your talking about.i think that would look pretty sick. another spot that might be good is where the bar pad is and have them mounted right below it.

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
ya i think i know what lights your talking about.i think that would look pretty sick. another spot that might be good is where the bar pad is and have them mounted right below it.

eh, ive seen that before...trying to be original ;)

tri5ron
01-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
ok i have two questions.
i have bought a set of universal lights, they mount whereever, they are 35 watts a piece I THINK. ill have to check. will my 400 have enough power to use those?

Yes, since the stock headlights are 35w, and you are no longer using them, you should be fine.

but make sure the universal lights are not the typical 55w each that most pep boys/walmart brand automotive fog lights are.
(most of these automotive lights use a 55w H3 bulb, but you can find 35w H3 bulbs on ebay)

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Yes, since the stock headlights are 35w, and you are no longer using them, you should be fine.

but make sure the universal lights are not the typical 55w each that most pep boys/walmart brand automotive fog lights are.
(most of these automotive lights use a 55w H3 bulb, but you can find 35w H3 bulbs on ebay)

I got them at walmart..now im pretty sure theyre 55 a piece...CRAP. i cant run that can i?

quadbod
01-23-2009, 12:18 AM
No you can't run them, well, actually you can but it won't be long before things burn out!!!

I you read the above post tri5ron did say you can get 35w H3's on ebay.

Oh, I think the lights will look in that position.

deathcorefan2
01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
ok so correct me if im wrong...more watts is brighter?

so i could just run one in like the center top of my DG bumper, idk.. it wouldnt be noticeable untill you turn it on, i guess ill sell them and buy 35w...
any takers on mine????

lol

racerdan24
01-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Lights will be sweet but mounting them in or on the fender plastic may have to much vibration which will in turn make the lights very bouncy while riding dont you think? Its like mounting fog lights on a car and not having them tight or loosen up an they drive you crazy becasue the light bounces. Just wanted to let you know before you start drilling into your plastics and end up hating them.

Pipeless416
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
he won't have to drill into the plastics. he's talking about using the mounting bolts for the maiers. trailtech uses rubber pieces to help isolate the lights from vibration.. you might want to try something similar. also, you can get 35 watt trailtech torch lamps for about $6.95 each and they will fit right in the housing you have now. make sure to get one flood and one spot. my brother has this exact setup.. and exact same plastic. his are mounted on the plastic mounts right above the shocks.

racerdan24
01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Sorry bout that...thought i read his post correctly but must have missed that part on the mounts...my bad...GO FOR IT THEN!

Pipeless416
01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
and i can tell you that racer dan is correct about vibration.. its not noticeable while riding, but my brother has gone through bulbs because of vibration. even the welded filaments don't like it.

deathcorefan2
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
he won't have to drill into the plastics. he's talking about using the mounting bolts for the maiers. trailtech uses rubber pieces to help isolate the lights from vibration.. you might want to try something similar. also, you can get 35 watt trailtech torch lamps for about $6.95 each and they will fit right in the housing you have now. make sure to get one flood and one spot. my brother has this exact setup.. and exact same plastic. his are mounted on the plastic mounts right above the shocks.

are you talking about just the bulbs?

i cant find what you are talking about.
can you send me a link?

deathcorefan2
01-25-2009, 01:18 AM
a bump and another question

im not running tail lights. it wasnt on when i bought it. so could i run those lights since my tail light isnt using any power?

deathcorefan2
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
bump...

Anyone?

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
BUMP!!!
ill ask again..

can i just buy 35w bulbs for these lights? if so where and how much?

Pipeless416
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
whoops, i forgot. http://trailtech.net/replacement_lamps.html

deathcorefan2
01-28-2009, 05:15 PM
those will fit in my cheap little walmart lights? lol

Pipeless416
01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
yes. the mr16s will.

tri5ron
01-28-2009, 11:59 PM
try taking a look at these. providing your walmart housings do in fact have H3 bulbs, these will fit into your housings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H3-Halogen-Light-Bulbs-pair-35W-55W-100W_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43980QQihZ014QQite mZ330300158481QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

To answer your question reguarding the removed tail light... No, you can not run two 55w bulbs just because you no longer have the tail light.
The tail light only uses 2 to 4 watts. This means that since your tail light has been removed, you now have only 2 to 4 extra useable watts.

you also asked if you could use a single 55w light assembly.
Well,... yes you could,.. BUT,
two 35w bulbs are giving 70w worth of lighting, which is more useable (more light), than a single 55w.

Or your next alternative would be to order a upgraded stator from someone like Ricky Stator, then you can go all out and run landing lights off the Space Shuttle if you like.

Of coarse,... when you start running more power, more lights, more watts,..
you will need to start considering an upgrade to the wireing, and may also want to consider using a relay to your existing switch on your handlebar, so you dont fry it too.

deathcorefan2
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
try taking a look at these. providing your walmart housings do in fact have H3 bulbs, these will fit into your housings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H3-Halogen-Light-Bulbs-pair-35W-55W-100W_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43980QQihZ014QQite mZ330300158481QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

To answer your question reguarding the removed tail light... No, you can not run two 55w bulbs just because you no longer have the tail light.
The tail light only uses 2 to 4 watts. This means that since your tail light has been removed, you now have only 2 to 4 extra useable watts.

you also asked if you could use a single 55w light assembly.
Well,... yes you could,.. BUT,
two 35w bulbs are giving 70w worth of lighting, which is more useable (more light), than a single 55w.

Or your next alternative would be to order a upgraded stator from someone like Ricky Stator, then you can go all out and run landing lights off the Space Shuttle if you like.

Of coarse,... when you start running more power, more lights, more watts,..
you will need to start considering an upgrade to the wireing, and may also want to consider using a relay to your existing switch on your handlebar, so you dont fry it too.

lol..ill just switch bulbs. lol

the Z Man
04-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Also, try mounting them to your upper shock mount by using an L bracket, works awesome and they don't break when you roll it.

honda400ex2003
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
don't want to hyjack but I dont want to make another thread about lighting after I saw this one just come to the top again. Just thinking, do you guys have any aftermarket L.E.D. or high output lights for the stock setup? just wanting to go a bit brighter than the stock ones. I know there is a high output bulb that is offered by honda but would like to get a better set. Thanks guys, steve

the Z Man
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I use PIAA bulbs they are the same whattage but much brighter..

04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
sorry to stray off topic but I must ask, where did you get those shock covers?

honda400ex2003
04-02-2009, 10:25 PM
z man do they fit in the stock sockets and what is the number I need by chance? I will look into them. Thanks steve

n811
04-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I do a lot of night riding in tight trails and if I don't have a light on my handlebars then I cant see where I'm going! I need to point the light where the quad is going. I think you should mount them temporarily on the bars and then the plastics then decide whats more important: looks or function?

the Z Man
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
They do fit in the same sockets, I got htem from Colby of C&D Racing, he gave me a really good deal, I used them for the Heartland 10 Hour Challenge.
Just click on the C&D banner..

honda400ex2003
04-03-2009, 08:06 PM
thanks alot z. steve