PDA

View Full Version : 4stroke vs. 2stroke. pros and cons

redrabbit
01-22-2009, 12:37 PM
im thinking about trading my ex for a 4x4 scrambler. can any tell me the pros and cons of having a 2stroke over a 4 stroke. the scrambler seems like the best quad because its 4x4 sport quad.

rcatvrider
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
If you need a 4x4 sport get a can am renegade. The scramblers are huge and heavy for the small motor they have.

jcs003
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
my friend has a 700 grizzley with fuel injection and that quad is fast and torquey as hell.

drew416ex
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Two strokes have less low end torque. They make pretty much all of there power on top which means you have to keep the rpm's up to keep the tires spinning. When you have to keep the revs up while going slow you run into overheating. They also foul spark plugs if they arnt tuned right and/or if you dont keep the revs up. They are good for racing, but not for a 4x4 im my opinioin.

BossHogg420
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
that and a scrambler is an automatic
scrambler= gay

LT250RMan
01-22-2009, 03:31 PM
For a 4x4 I would go with a 4 stroke forsure.

katch26
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
the 400 is a 2 stroke, which as a rule of thumb is equivalent in power to a 4 stroke of double the size.....roughly. This is the reason you see 250 in the 450 class and 125s in the 250 class, so a 400 2 stroke is a pretty big motor. The scrambler 400 isnt really all that heavy for a sport 4x4 at 481 lbs (dry) considering youre recommending the can am which is almost 700 dry. I would say it would be a good dual sport quad.

rcatvrider
01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by katch26
the 400 is a 2 stroke, which as a rule of thumb is equivalent in power to a 4 stroke of double the size.....roughly. This is the reason you see 250 in the 450 class and 125s in the 250 class, so a 400 2 stroke is a pretty big motor. The scrambler 400 isnt really all that heavy for a sport 4x4 at 481 lbs (dry) considering youre recommending the can am which is almost 700 dry. I would say it would be a good dual sport quad.
Have you ever ridden a scrambler? Scrambler=no balls

katch26
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
have you ridden the scrambler 400?, not the 500?, the 500 is lacking and IS heavy due to the extra weight of the 4stroke motor.

rcatvrider
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
The 400 scrambler and the trailblazer 250. The 400 had an fmf and k&n I believe. I've seen a couple pretty nice ones modded to the moon, but relatively stock they are lacking in the power department. I'm sure it has alot to do with the tranny too.

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
you guys have no idea on this subject.

i know the real deal about scrammys.
believe me if you want but i have talked to people who build them and people who ride them,

TRUE, they arent much stock. but modded. they will BLOW YOU AWAY.

crazy fast if you clutch them right. some even beat built shees. i know that sounds unbelieveable but they do it.

look at motors built by AZBADBOYZ

go to AZBADBOYZ.COM and look at the scrammy on the front page. TRUST ME. these things have MAJOR balls when opened up a bit. and with 4X4 and auto you will be almost untouchable. here ill post some vids and pics of these things built.

here is a pic of a dyno done by AAEN performance...yes 75 hp.

http://i43.tinypic.com/xmr0r6.gif

here is a scrammy motor with a 400 or 440 exterminator kit.

68-70 hp.

drew416ex
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
you guys have no idea on this subject.

i know the real deal about scrammys.
believe me if you want but i have talked to people who build them and people who ride them,

TRUE, they arent much stock. but modded. they will BLOW YOU AWAY.

crazy fast if you clutch them right. some even beat built shees. i know that sounds unbelieveable but they do it.

look at motors built by AZBADBOYZ

go to AZBADBOYZ.COM and look at the scrammy on the front page. TRUST ME. these things have MAJOR balls when opened up a bit. and with 4X4 and auto you will be almost untouchable. here ill post some vids and pics of these things built.

here is a pic of a dyno done by AAEN performance...yes 75 hp.

http://i43.tinypic.com/xmr0r6.gif

here is a scrammy motor with a 400 or 440 exterminator kit.

68-70 hp.

He didnt ask about a modded one, which is why everyone is talking about the stock on which as everyone knows sucks.

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
He didnt ask about a modded one, which is why everyone is talking about the stock on which as everyone knows sucks.

ok but he will never keep it stock.

a pipe alone will take you to 48 HP.

RATPACK Z400
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
The scrammys have powerful 2-stroke motors, but lack in handling too tall and so heavy, front end sucks and is hard to wheely over thing without mods.took a 400&500 tight trail riding in mud and they were a nightmare to deal with always getting stuck in mud cause the front end doest wheely up well. that motor would probably do well in real sportquad frame,has anybody done this?

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
The scrammys have powerful 2-stroke motors, but lack in handling too tall and so heavy, front end sucks and is hard to wheely over thing without mods.took a 400&500 tight trail riding in mud and they were a nightmare to deal with always getting stuck in mud cause the front end doest wheely up well. that motor would probably do well in real sportquad frame,has anybody done this?

azbadboyz.com

they make a complete drag chassis for the motor. super light..and as you can imagine...LIGHTNING FAST.

edit: i forgot, they also will lighten the current frame for you.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Er...maybe in a strait line the Polaris will do good heavily modded, but try taking it to the trail or track and its nothing compared to a 4 stroke such as z/400/ex-450's. They just look too clunky for anything but a line.

rob_990
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
2 stroke- lighter,faster,easier to fix,sound amazing,but blow up easier.

4stroke- heavier more low end,more reliable.

over all id say 2 strokes are better but i definetly would'nt want a scrambler cause its 4 wheel drive.
if you want a 2 stroke get a banshee.

deathcorefan2
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Yippie-Ki-Yay
Er...maybe in a strait line the Polaris will do good heavily modded, but try taking it to the trail or track and its nothing compared to a 4 stroke such as z/400/ex-450's. They just look too clunky for anything but a line.
correct, but they do well in the woods if your used to riding one.

these polaris motors are way underrated, you might not believe me, but with an AZBADBOYZ power mod kit, and a couple other small mods, 250 trailblazers will run with 400exs.

quadbod
01-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
correct, but they do well in the woods if your used to riding one.

these polaris motors are way underrated, you might not believe me, but with an AZBADBOYZ power mod kit, and a couple other small mods, 250 trailblazers will run with 400exs.

Must be sponsored by them!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

rundrave
01-23-2009, 10:01 AM
my once stock 500 scrambler could wheelie right out of the box

most people dont know how to ride with a CVT clutch, so when you say they cant wheelie i just have to laugh

Ive since modified my primary and secondary clutches and it will pull the front up with no effort, it also did when it was stock it just engages at higher rpm's now

scrambler is a good all around trail quad, its not the best but not the worst

its heavy and handles like crap, but I put works struts on and revalved my rear shock which helped a lot over stock

deathcorefan2
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by quadbod
Must be sponsored by them!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

nope...i own a honda.
your smart.
i did own a 250 trailblazer before my 400ex that i was going to get going really fast. with my plans i would have hung with 400exs, and stock 400 scrammys.

but i decided i wanted to go clutch.

i might buy another one and deck it out once i get a job.

2muchquad
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
i may buy a 400 scrambler just to show up my buddies,these bikes are too choked stock,they can be made to run even without a high priced stage 25 motor build done on it:D

deathcorefan2
01-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
i may buy a 400 scrambler just to show up my buddies,these bikes are too choked stock,they can be made to run even without a high priced stage 25 motor build done on it:D

before i got my 400ex, i was gonna buy this sport 400, same as scrammy, except hood. and have some stuff done and beat up on the local friends. with their "anything auto is slow" attitude, i would love to beat up their warriors lol

400exrider69
01-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by redrabbit
im thinking about trading my ex for a 4x4 scrambler. can any tell me the pros and cons of having a 2stroke over a 4 stroke. the scrambler seems like the best quad because its 4x4 sport quad.

you should be happy with a scramlber 400
i loved mine was bone stock from the orgional owner for $1,500 if your climbing big rutted hills it's a little bit scrary but other wise it's a blast will take any jump under 5 feet i used to run my around every where unstoppable in the snow
modded there even better kinda wide best for donuts
pull the brake back and give it full throttle and use the brake like a clutch and you can go on 2 wheels like nothing
i ONLY traded my scrambler for a 400ex cause i wanted to race