PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of a swingarm extension kit like they have for a-arms?

dbc112
01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I was thinking about extending my swingarm +1 or +2 due to the light front end and power delivery... Anyone know if they make a bolt on kit? The extended swingarms are crazy expensive.

quads14589
01-22-2009, 09:18 AM
well i dont know of any tho but my friend cut his swingarm in the middle and put in a 2 inch spacer that he made out of metal and then he welded it right back up, and the welds never broke or anything but idk if you want to hack apart your swingarm

Scro
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by quads14589
well i dont know of any tho but my friend cut his swingarm in the middle and put in a 2 inch spacer that he made out of metal and then he welded it right back up, and the welds never broke or anything but idk if you want to hack apart your swingarm

I've done this before. It can be a sound setup (for trail riding, hillclimbing) as long as have someone do it that knows what they are doing. They tend to crack if you do any kind of jumping.

derekhonda
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I just can't imagine ever riding a machine hard that I had cut apart, lengthened, and welded back together. Its worth the 400-600 bucks to me to just buy an aftermarket one i guess.

trick250r
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
i doubt they make an ext kit. unless theres a way to lengthen then subframe, i dont see how it could work. as far as welding spacer in, as long as the swingarm was chromoly and you could reinforce the inside and made the metal bond well then id trust it. but like it was said above, you gotta have someone that knows what theyre doing.

Balaz_73*00
01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
This has gotta be one of the dumbest requests I've heard in some time

dbc112
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Why do you say that? I wanted a longer swingarm but didnt want to shell out $500.. I was also considering the 450r swinger but need to educate myself on the install process (link vs no link).

How about you stay off the thread unless you have valuable input.

Balaz_73*00
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Well there is no such thing as "extending" your A-Arms. You buy ones that are longer. Same with the swingarm. :confused:

Exrider434
01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Well there is no such thing as "extending" your A-Arms. You buy ones that are longer. Same with the swingarm. :confused:

You can buy different mounting brackets to "extend" the a-arms. He was simply asking if there was a kit like this for the swingarm, so unless you have anything else to contribute gtfo!

And Dbc, i've never seen anything like that but i know you can put a 400ex rear end on which to me sounds a little safer than cutting and re welding your stocker. All you have to do is mount on the tabs for the linkage and you have a much improved rear end over stock. I'm not positive but i also believe you can run the 300ex carrier/axle with the 400ex swinger.. Someone correct me if im wrong though

greenblood01
01-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I remember seeing swingarm extension kits for the Banshee and Blaster in the ads of old Dirtwheels and 4Wheel ATV Action's, but thats been a while ago. The way it looked, it was just a bolt on kit that moved the bearing carrier back like 1 or 2 inches.

907Rider
01-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes they make them, this was discussed at blasterfourm not too long ago. Basically, they work but not that good if you go big when you ride, race or anything rough. Their like wheel spacers, they serve a purpose but its best to save your money.
http://www.blasterforum.com/showthread.php?t=9008&highlight=swingarm+extension

dbc112
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
That was exactly what I was looking for.. I personally ride trails. I am to much of a wus to go big.. If you mean 45ft etc.
I wonder if this kit would work on my swinger? Doubtful.. but this is completely what I am looking for $65!

I have been running the cheap lug wheels spacers with no issues etc..

In terms of welding on the brackets, what about the rear suspension?

Also I need to know about the carrier because I just ordered a G-force extended rear exle for the 300ex... can really go back on that.

I did find a used lonestar 300ex +2 swinger for $265... not that bad of a deal.

dbc112
01-22-2009, 12:41 PM
image...

Also street bikes do this type of mod all the time..

Anyone have a website for A & R ? The one I found on google dosent match.

I called a shop from google, and the guy who produced his dosent make them anymore.. He said, he is a good buddy and he may fab some up again for the 300ex or 400ex.. so I will wait and see what he says.. Do I smell a group buy? Maybe not..

treake
01-22-2009, 02:03 PM
As someone that has built race quads, I can assure you, trying to put some make shift parts on your quad is going to end up being a waste of time and money. With the time you spend trying to make it work and the money buying all the little parts, you would have been better off to just buy the new or used extended swing arm from the start. It will just save you a lot of headaches doing it right from the start. It will save you some wear and tear on the quad and will be a little more safe. More often than not, when you try to save money and take short cuts, you end up going back and replacing that stuff with the good stuff anyway, once it breaks or cracks. For you guys that swear by the cheap make shift stuff, don't get defensive, I'm just making a suggestion.

dbc112
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
its the whole buy it once scenario, I understand.

On the other hand, for me. Someone who rides maybe 10x a year on trails. It will suffice Possibly.

I agree with you though, I just went for an aftermarket axle.. I cant tell you how much used crap I have in the garage that didnt work.

I also run a-arm relo brackets, they have held up great.. but thats for me.

quad2xtreme
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I personally know several people who have extended stock steering stems too. If you know what you are doing and have the right equipment, it will work fine and be very strong.

The modified steering stems that I saw are stronger than stock. There is both an inner pipe insert and an outer sleeve.

We even discussed the possibility of building adjustable steering stems much like durablue axles with the pins.

wilkin250r
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by dbc112
image...

Also street bikes do this type of mod all the time..

Anyone have a website for A & R ? The one I found on google dosent match.

I called a shop from google, and the guy who produced his dosent make them anymore.. He said, he is a good buddy and he may fab some up again for the 300ex or 400ex.. so I will wait and see what he says..

The reason those are available is because of the particular style of the Banshee and Blaster. The entire carrier and axle bolts on to the back, you could easily fabricate a bracket of that style.

The Honda swingarm is entirely different. The axle and carrier fit INSIDE the swingarm, not just bolt on to the back. An extension like that would be impossible.

quad2xtreme
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The reason those are available is because of the particular style of the Banshee and Blaster. The entire carrier and axle bolts on to the back, you could easily fabricate a bracket of that style.

The Honda swingarm is entirely different. The axle and carrier fit INSIDE the swingarm, not just bolt on to the back. An extension like that would be impossible.

You just need a big tube to fit into the existing carrier and then extend that back to another tube to relocate the carrier. You could even adjust your ride height. LOL. :eek2: :devil:

Obviously, I am joking. This wouldn't work at all because the front carrier would slip. I mark mine as it is and know the carrier slips (the chain really isn't stretching like it seems).

jcv400ex
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm still flabergasted over the "power" of a 300ex....let alone a question about extending a stock swinger....

Beat up exhaust....wheel spacers, and cut/welded swing arm???? Tell the wife to loosen up on the chain man! She's crimping your style!!!

MX450
01-22-2009, 07:01 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuude find you a good used extended swinger, it will be much better/safer, or just dont mod it at all.. just my .02

dbc112
01-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
I'm still flabergasted over the "power" of a 300ex....let alone a question about extending a stock swinger....

Beat up exhaust....wheel spacers, and cut/welded swing arm???? Tell the wife to loosen up on the chain man! She's crimping your style!!!

hahahhaha.. I agree, laughed on that one.

its partially myself... Priorities you know

Day Care $1200
Mortgage $2400
Audi $500
Passatt $375
Gas for my stupid high ceiling $400 a month
College Fund Monthly 529 plan contribution $500
Cell Phone $100
Cable $120
School Loan $189

Money left for other things such as food and Gas...

Money left for Quad -200

So as you can see, the other bills take precedence..

Man, I want to go back to College when I had $100 a week for beer and food. Much easier.

Anyway, back on topic. The 300ex I have is actually very fast. Not sure why, I bought the motor with all the work done by Las ar GT thunder.

Maybe it is my power delivery or the way I have it tuned.. or maybe it is my fat @ss sitting on the back.

Ok, major coffee load this am I am done.

dbc112
01-23-2009, 06:11 AM

hahahhaha.. I agree, laughed on that one.

Day Care $1200
Mortgage $2400
Audi $500
Passatt $375
Cell Phone $100
Cable $120
School Loan $189

Money left for other things such as food and Gas...

Money left for Quad -200

So as you can see, the other bills take precedence..

Man, I want to go back to College when I had $100 a week for beer and food. Much easier.

Anyway, back on topic. The 300ex I have is actually very fast. Not sure why, I bought the motor with all the work done by Las ar GT thunder.

Maybe it is my power delivery or the way I have it tuned.. or maybe it is my fat @ss sitting on the back.

Ok, major coffee load this am I am done.

MX450
01-23-2009, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dbc112
[B]hahahhaha.. I agree, laughed on that one.

Day Care $1200
Mortgage $2400
Audi $500
Passatt $375
Cell Phone $100
Cable $120
School Loan $189

Sell the Audi, get a cheaper cell phone plan, get a smaller house, and then youll have some money for a swingarm!

dbc112
01-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Or sell it all, use the equity for 15 quads and a tent!