PDA

View Full Version : No Power To Coil

400exVB
01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
hey guys, im new here and just recently got my hands on a 2000 400ex. the wiring on this thing has been through alot and im trying to get it running. If i am correct, there is a black with yellow tracer, and two green wires coming off the coil. for some reason i am not getting a spark and i am trying to figure out if it is the coil or before that. anyones suggestions will be greatly appriciated..

thanks!

fauxamish
01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Best thing that you can do is buy a Clymer manual. I got a '00 last year and got the Clymer from the library for 6 months. Anyways, my manual is at home so if you don't get a definitive response by later, I will look at the wiring diagram for you. I am pretty sure there should be one green (ground) and the black should plug into the harness using a bullet plug

Mine did the same thing a couple months ago. It ended up being a loose connection between the coil and the wiring harness.

400exVB
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
thats the thing, the wiring harness is so "ghetto" rigged, that im not sure where everything goes. i have a wiring diagram, and a new (used) harness, but so much is missing, there is nothing to plug the connecters to. its missing the stock start/stop/light switch and has an after market push button. there is no key, or light, so those plugs arnt there. im not sure what i need to make it run. the wiring diagrams ive found online are not much help. i do not know where to begin. it turns over, but there is no spark to the plug, so i tested the coil, and nothing. the lines leading to the coil, from the starter relay and CDI do not seem to have power when starting either. any suggestions??

the Z Man
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
The power just runs the starter, I think it runs on magneto so when it turns over you should get something from the stator, that then goes to the coil.... I think..lol
Try a hot wire to the + side of the coil....

fauxamish
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Ok, this is the wiring diagram from the Clymer manual. The Clymer says that there is a black/yellow wire running from the coil to the "Ignition Control Module". That is the black box (CDI) above the right front shock. The ground wire from the coil is grounded right where the coil mounts to the frame.

Your killswitch (or lack of one) may be causing this. Also, try unplugging the CDI and plugging it back in.

the Z Man
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
The red and pink wire from the magneto to the cdi, then the black and yellow from the cdi to the coil, you should have some thing from either wire..

the Z Man
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
If there is no ignition you should have all three wires together, red, green and black..

400exVB
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
well, it doesnt have the stock ignition switch, all the other wires are gone, just the push button ones. im going to go test some stuff with the wirinng diagram and see what i can find. i think f150dude had the same problems, as i have read on here, but it doesnt list the outcome... ill get back to you guys, and thanks for the help!

dariusld
01-22-2009, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rico
[B]

"If you never use your 400ex headlights like myself and are tired of hitting the on/off switch by accident and kiling the motor then here's a simple way to get rid of that bulky contraption on your handle bars.

I orderd a CR dirtbike kill switch to use as a starter button. The process is easy and pain free. You can also use a kill switch off an ATK quad or any dirtbike for that matter.

Remove the entire wiring harness from the quad, at the handlebars, headlight connection and the connector under the fender. This way you can track down all the wires to be sure your getting a correct connection and it's easier work with this way.

Connect the kill switch to the (red/yellow and black) wires that go to the OEM starter button. Cut the wires and connect the new starter button so that your sure you have connected the proper wires. Use good wire connectors so that in wet conditions it doesn't cause ignition problems. There are several black wires in this harness so BE SURE to seperate the proper black wire from the others.

The (green/yellow and Green) wires need to be connected so that you can start your quad in gear, otherwise it has to be in neutral."
This might help a little.

I had a similar questions and got no help, so I figured it out myself. Good luck.

400exVB
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
thanks dariusld, that should help. where can i find the rest of the post from RICO, or is that all? as i said earlier, there is alot missing, and im not sure what i need to ground, give power, or take out to make this thing run.

I tried taking a voltmeter to the ignition pulse generator wire (blue w/ yellow) and starting it but there was no reading, i think i need to get a tester with just the light bulb...

400exVB
01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
well i now have power to the coil, but no spark. im taking the coil to my local honda dealer tomorrow to hopefully get an answer...

400exVB
01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
well, honda says they cannot bench test the coil, even though my manual says to take it to them. the dealer suggested finding someone with a running 400ex to try theirs. i only know someone with a 300ex, does anyone know if that coil will work?? if not, anyone in the bangor, maine area with a 400ex??

400exVB
01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
really no one knows if a coil from a 300ex will work on my 400ex??

the Z Man
01-28-2009, 05:59 AM
I don't see why not, try it and see, I think 250r might even be the same..

400exVB
02-07-2009, 05:36 PM
well i gave up. i thought i was getting a signal to the coil from the ignition pulse generator, but apparently not, as my new coil didnt produce a spark. i dropped it off at a local garage yesterday. hopefully hell be able to fix it soon. ive had the darn thing for a month now and havnt riddin yet. he aslo said he knew of a guy parting out a similar quad and could get parts for cheap from it. sounds like a deal to me... thanks for yall's help...