PDA

View Full Version : petcock trx250ex

AoDWolfpack
01-22-2009, 12:13 AM
I bought a 2005 trx250ex from a dealer and ran it and noticed that fuel was immediately flowing out the carb vent, so I cleaned the carb and checked the tank and its full of stuff, so I rinsed it with acetone, and its clean, however I noticed that when I turn off the petcock the fuel keeps flowing out of the tank, that is strange isn't it that the petcock would break like that

so is there an aftermarket petcock that will bolt to this tank or is this a dealer item? I would like to ride this weekend, I am going to call around, but not sure if dealers stock this part.....

MRJACK9
01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a 2002 250Ex. My "petcock" does not shutoff fully either. Also, in the reserve direction full flowoccurrs at 2/3 in that direction. Full reserve is about 1/2 flow. In the main/on direction full flow occurs at the full on position. I think Honda has a manufacturering problem.

AoDWolfpack
01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I talked to service, and they said this happens all the time, especially if the bike sits for a while, the orings inside go bad, and there is no rebuild kit. 70 dollars for a new one, what a rip...

I guess one can just add a second inline fuel cutoff if they did not want to spend the money on a new part.

Also if the bike sits for a while the seat that attaches to the float wears out, and then you get fuel running down your overflow. It has a rubber type end on the tip that makes the seat to shut off the fuel flow when the float is elevated. The rubber end wears causing the problem.

MRJACK9
01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the education. I think you solved two problems I am having.

AoDWolfpack
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
cool, the needle and seat (one piece) is a 20 dollar item. I took my petcock out and put in a new one, it was a mess, the tube was coated in what appeared to be corrosion. I cleaned the tank, and added an in line fuel filter right before the carborator. Its a tight fit, but should solve the problem. There is not much room (the bottom of the tank is in the way as well as the frame). I guess someone can just add fuel line and possibly circle the carborator to give more room to change the filter in the future.