PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wranglers

jesseweaver
01-21-2009, 09:18 PM
i've really been kicking around the idea lately of selling my mustang and getting a wrangler. 2 speeding tickets this weekend and probably losing my liscense plus have some nice fines and have almost $1500 into the new rear end, its getting really expensive. not saying a jeep wont though but i wouldnt be tempted to speed as much i know. plus its like haveng a big fourwheeler. those of you that have wranglers, any pros and cons to them? does it get really cold with a rag top? ive always loved jeeps in the summer. no top, no doors:cool: Could i get a decent wrangler for 5,6000?

the only thing id be worried about is missing being able to step on the peddle and take off. i would def get a 6 cyl, how is the power on those?

mandrewlt250r
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
All my friends have jeeps. They swear by the 6 cyl 4.0 and beat the **** out of them and they just take it. (like drive them with no oil for 10-15 miles) I have driven them and they have some get up and go. The only bad/good thing about the wrangler that i know of is the short wheel base. They dont have lots of comfort and are made for wheeling. rag tops are sweet but not if some one has a knife and wants what you got. Cherokees are sweet too. its up to you drive them and see what you like better. it depends a lot on what you want.. hope that helps a bit

snacob14
01-21-2009, 09:54 PM
get a 97 or newer 4.0. tons of pep, mine would spin the tires with 33's and stock gearing. The 97 ups have coil spring suspensions so they ride great for a jeep, anything older will ride like a hay wagon. They are a blast, but they definitely don't ride like a pickup. They will wear on you afer a while. Thats why I sold mine. I liked being warm in the winter.

TNRHINO
01-22-2009, 06:43 AM
I use to have an 02 Wrangler X with a 4" lift and 33"s. It had the 4.0 with a five speed. I had no problem's with mine. It would pull a 6'x12' tailer no problem with two atv's loaded on it. The only thing for me was coming from a Z71 extened cab it took me a while to get use to the less amount of room. I also missed having a truck bed to haul things. But coming from a Mustang I don't think that will be such a big deal. For sure get one with a 4.0 and a five speed the automatic's are horrible in those. If you could try to find a Sahara. Some of them came with the Dana 44 rearends. Or a Rubicon those are sweet Dana 44's front and rear. As for being cold I live in middle Tn and had no problem being wram at all. I know it does not get as cold as PA does but it gets pretty cold down here.

Phugg
01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
I had a 93 YJ for many many years. Many Pros and many cons. The rear driveline angle is a big issue. If you lift it (which you will) the best bet is to either go with a slipyoke eliminator or CV jointed shaft for the rear. Best and easiest way to lift a YJ is with SOA (spring over axle) , you retain the factory springs, for better ride and articulation. Also you will need much more

A: Slip yoke eliminator or cv shaft for rear

B: regear to 4:10

C: Lockers Lockers Lockers. (need either standard locker, air or cable actuated. rear minimum both preferred

D: Removal of front sway bar (keeps ya driving slower !!

E: If Auto trans , shift kit (mild but still helps.

F: Tranny cooler !!!

G: Header 3-2-1 (stock manifold always breaks at cyl#3

F: aww crap , 705am , too many more to go on with.

Those are what I would do again at the minimum. Its what I went through over a couple years. I found that also replacing the CRAP dana 30/35 is a MUST (since I broke 2 rear sfats and the front in different spots).

The Motor 4.0l 6cyl is a workhorse , just the factory manifold is junk. I always preffered Auto vs stick when out wheeling (that way my kids could drive too). Also I am just lazy and hate shifting.

Mean250r
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM
i have a 03 wrangler, in the summer, the top is off as well as the doors and its funn as hell. Off roading is sick to. Deff a fun ride to own.

Sjorge450R
01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
my dad has a wrangler and i love driving the thing. Its a 05 5spd with the 4.0. Now its all stock motor wise so it really doesnt have that mcuh umph to it, but it still has a good accel rate considering the 5spd. We have 31's on it.

rossignoldude81
01-25-2009, 07:28 AM
my dad got a wrangler in 98 and i drove it for about four years before i sold it. lived in tennessee, upstate new york, pa, and maine with it. the rag top is good in the winter. the heater works really good, almost too good. i would end up driving with the heat on the lowest setting and the window was open cuz it was too hot. that was when it was like 10 degrees outside. you wont have a problem with warmth in the winter.

jeeps are just fun to drive all around. i went everywhere in mine and it only had the 2.4 l 4 cyl engine. i had 33x12.50 tires on it and still did alright.

i definitely reccomend getting a wrangler, standard of course, with the I-6 though.

mc_racer
01-25-2009, 09:40 AM
You will love it, I've had a geat time with mine but need to sell it to pay for a wedding.:(
It's an 04 with the 4.0 and manual trans. As far as being cold in the winter, I've never had a problem, but I have both tops. I'd recommend a hardtop for the winter, it's hard to keep the soft windows clean without scratching them up. I'd also recommend the TJ model with the coil springs, though it may be tough to find one in clean shape for your price range. If you don't mind one that has been wheeled a little and shows some wear, then you may luck out. Try looking at www.pirate4x4.com if you want to go that route.

jesseweaver
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
yea ill look into that. i dont want a perfect one, i dont want to be afraid to take it offroading a little. im still not sure yet, its gonna be hard to sell my car with how much money i put into it that will all go to waste, but i know it might save me money in the long run :ermm:

mc_racer
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
If you are doing it to save money, it won't work. I'm sure you enjoy wrenching on your Mustang and will do the same with anything else. In my opinion, offroading costs as much if not more then hot rodding. You know how it goes, one mod leads to another and pretty soon you have something that costs way more then it's worth.
I sold my Camaro for the same reason you are selling the Mustang. Bought a 87 GMC pickup. Next thing you know it has 1-ton drivetrain, lockers, GM crate motor, 38" tires, winch, suspension, etc. Now I have an ugly truck that cost 10,000 to buy/build and it's worth 1500. And then you need a trailer and tow vehicle to take it anywhere.
We all have the same disease, there's no hiding from it.