PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use AC MX Pro nerf setup?

quad2xtreme
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Wondering how many of you use or have tried these and what your experience was...especially in terms of the heel guards holding up.

I currently run Pro Armor Powergrip pegs, nerfs, and heel guards. I've had a string of bad luck with heel guards snapping where the flat piece goes up to the subframe. I am wondering if these ACs will be better.

I've already ordered them. The question is whether I put them on my mx quad or my wife's 450r trail machine. She has the same Pro Armor setup I use so I could just use hers as a spare.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gcart2
01-21-2009, 05:50 PM
all i can say is ac generally are a very rough fit. however, rath has the best hands down nerf bars. very very strong.

JJs450r
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
ya i went through 2 sets of ac before i really dont care 2 much for them

quad2xtreme
01-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
all i can say is ac generally are a very rough fit. however, rath has the best hands down nerf bars. very very strong.

I loved my Rath's too and they bolted right up. The only thing I didn't like about them is I am 6'6" and the pegs were just too high. I could never get comfortable on them.

quad2xtreme
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
ya i went through 2 sets of ac before i really dont care 2 much for them

Jeremy,

Was it the same as the ones in the picture or one of the other AC designs? Part of my problem is I wear a size 12 boot and I use the heelguard in conjunction with the foot pegs to form a platform. I know I am putting way more force than any designer planned.

My only other experience with AC was a set for the 400ex that bolted up to stock pegs and lasted for years before I sold them on e-bay.

hendershot106
01-22-2009, 09:11 AM
do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and just buy a set of rath racing nerf bars.... best fit, quality, and durability.... ac is junk

300ex_#387
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I have AC pro pegs right now and I regret ever buying any AC parts. I would have gone with Rath if I could do it again.

quad2xtreme
01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and just buy a set of rath racing nerf bars.... best fit, quality, and durability.... ac is junk

I can't ride with Rath pegs until Daryl figures out a way to lower the peg. I rode with them for 3 months and never got comfortable how it made my quad feel.

I definitely agree that Rath makes great products...if not the best then equal to the best. I envy those who can run his nerf setup. I truly wish I was one of them.

hendershot106
01-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I can't ride with Rath pegs until Daryl figures out a way to lower the peg. I rode with them for 3 months and never got comfortable how it made my quad feel.

I definitely agree that Rath makes great products...if not the best then equal to the best. I envy those who can run his nerf setup. I truly wish I was one of them.

if its that big of a deal to lower the pegs cuz u cant get comfortable,, buy a taller steering stem... a cheap set of taller bars... or go the expensive route and buy the walsh peg mounts to lower it.... its not raths fault your 6 6... they make the best out there... for a normal rider.....

quad2xtreme
01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I have AC pro pegs right now and I regret ever buying any AC parts. I would have gone with Rath if I could do it again.

Do you have the style shown in my picture or the Blackline series? Did yours break, didn't bolt up right, or what?

hendershot106
01-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Do you have the style shown in my picture or the Blackline series? Did yours break, didn't bolt up right, or what?

i have also had two sets of ac black line nerfs... they are horrible. the net design sucks... u weave it under the peg with no slot... the heelguards are level with the peg and to close to the peg--let me explain..--- my size 11 mx boots heel would rest on bar from attached heelguard on ac blacklines.... what happens when u land a big a** jump hard????? YOU BREAK YOUR ANKLE OR WORSE.... i repeatedly sprained my ankles... my bro who only wears a size 9.5 BROKE his because of junk ac blackline series nerf bars...... if your dead set on ac nerfs... buy the bolt on ones and someone elses better designed; roomier; and safer heelguard

quad2xtreme
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the info.

These ACs are supposed to have deeper "buckets" in the back and be roomier. We will see. I really am not set on anything...I am a bit impulsive though so I ordered right away...then decided to get opinions.

At this point, I will either use on my wife's quad or put them on ebay and lose a few bucks...which given the state of my stocks and 401k, I could give them away and it wouldn't even hurt. I am financially numb right now anyhow. :p

I guess I am going to keep my Pro Armors. I can either have a set of heelguards fabricated from chromoly tubing or put some reinforcements into the current ones...actually, I've done this already. I took my wife's stock one and bolted a piece of steel into it where it "would" break given my history with the other two.

So far, I've never broken a right side heelguard.

BTW, I have nothing but respect for Daryl and Jennifer. I only wish the Rath setup was the answer for me. I would be on the phone in a heartbeat.

JJs450r
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Jeremy,

Was it the same as the ones in the picture or one of the other AC designs? Part of my problem is I wear a size 12 boot and I use the heelguard in conjunction with the foot pegs to form a platform. I know I am putting way more force than any designer planned.

My only other experience with AC was a set for the 400ex that bolted up to stock pegs and lasted for years before I sold them on e-bay.

i wear a size 11, and am currently running the albas, i had to cut the heel out on my yfz, as for the ac i ran the black line and the pro mx and ended up trashing both, the albas have a pretty low peg, but like i said there really isnt much heel room

sunco
01-23-2009, 07:08 AM
well it looks like the thread is done. My 2 cents is i have the AC on my 04 & they rattle, the foot pegs wore out so we used the roto zip to cut new teeth back in. I called AC one time about them - they said the newer ones are designed better - Yeah thats what everyone would tell ya -LOL even me to being a salesman. I have an 07 that needs nerfs. I'm gonna keep the stock plastic heel gaurds & go w/ Rath.

Good luck whatever ya use -

See ya @ BPG john.

quad2xtreme
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by sunco
well it looks like the thread is done. My 2 cents is i have the AC on my 04 & they rattle, the foot pegs wore out so we used the roto zip to cut new teeth back in. I called AC one time about them - they said the newer ones are designed better - Yeah thats what everyone would tell ya -LOL even me to being a salesman. I have an 07 that needs nerfs. I'm gonna keep the stock plastic heel gaurds & go w/ Rath.

Good luck whatever ya use -

See ya @ BPG john.

I have another set of stock heel guards if you want them. I can bring them up to BPG in March.

sunco
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanx Jon - I had the originals from the 04 & the ones on the 07 - its nice of you to offer. It would just add to my storage issue. Thanx anyway.

sunco
01-23-2009, 08:46 AM
with a cheap camara it makes you look fast ay? LOL

quad2xtreme
01-23-2009, 09:28 AM
You must have had your camera setup perfectly for that picture...I am surprised you even showed up in the picture. I would have expected one big blur as fast as you are. :p :devil:

sunco
01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah 47 & counting.

300ex_#387
01-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I have the blackline nerfs....They are a pain to mount up. The heel guards are to close and need to be netted. My foot would always get stuck in my heel guard when I went off a jump.

JJs450r
01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
same with my albas i almost wanna get raths without heels

Ex_Rider43
01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
I had a set of AC propegs and they were lower. i think they were blacklines without heelgards but im not sure. they were not very tough but tall riders were confortable on them.

Now i make my own nerfs , no more problems.

conley 450r
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I have pro armor PRO peges and love them

quad2xtreme
01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
The new ACs arrived. They bolted right up. I didn't have to pry, tug, or pull anything to get them installed.

Not sure if I am going to try them out or not.