View Full Version : Ice racing solid suspension

icepreddy
01-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm going to try something new( new to me) on my set-up for ice racing. in stead of running a rear shock i'm going to replace it with a solid piece of aluminum. does anyone know if there is anything on the market like that. I'd like to make it adjustable so that i still have the ability to move it for weight transfer.

eddie pettengil
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I have never seen anything like it before, and for a good reason. Keep your shock & spring setup. Just play with the comp /rebound and spring rate.;)

icepreddy
01-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by eddie pettengil
I have never seen anything like it before, and for a good reason. Keep your shock & spring setup. Just play with the comp /rebound and spring rate.;)

I've got my suspension tuned as tuned as it will get, I want to try something new. I'm not saying the grass will be greener, i'm just trying the competions set-up. I'm in the process of having my cousin, who is a engineering mastermind, build me a fully adjustable solid set-up. I'll let you know how that improves or destroys my set-up.

eddie pettengil
01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
What kind of ice are you riding on (lake or arena). How many laps and how long is the track. Is this circle track or tt. All this will make a difference in my opinion.

We run on a 1/8 mile or shorter tt and oval track on a lake. The track gets pretty rough at times. These shorter tracks have a ton of weight transfer from braking to throttle.

I think it might work on a arena track or a 1/4 mile track but really cant believe it would make you faster.

have you tried bigger springs on all the shocks.

keep me updated, you never know till you try it.

Chukkinsod
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I run a adjustable strut for dirt drags....I will post a pic of it tomorrow....mine aluminum threaded with adjstable length heim joints at both ends (keeps things from binding) have a contact that makes them if your interrested

rob_990
01-25-2009, 08:34 AM
ya i think that would work great for racing.
where are you racing at?

Chukkinsod
01-26-2009, 06:24 AM
300ft dirt drags @ Port Huron Motorcycle Club, we hold about 5 races per season. New Track this year with time slips and Pro tree. hoping to hold a "Show me the Money" in spring with power adder class.
Most drag bikes or flat track riders (ice) in our area run a strut.

national #9
01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by icepreddy
I'm going to try something new( new to me) on my set-up for ice racing. in stead of running a rear shock i'm going to replace it with a solid piece of aluminum. does anyone know if there is anything on the market like that. I'd like to make it adjustable so that i still have the ability to move it for weight transfer. KOQ rider, 2 time national pro ice racing champ Daniel Bergquist runs a solid strut on his quad, you can check out pics of his quad on their web site kidsonquads.com under the team riders section

OCMANJOE
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
It has been tried around here by a cpl of friends of mine and it was the crappiest decision you would just be wasting your time...no weight transfer at all with a solid rear and you definatly need that for ice racing-JOEYD

hotrodbelair
02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
if it was a smooth hockey rink it just might work but this year the way the ice is you wouldnt last 5 laps i know when i raced the openin weekend by the end of the day after racein 3 different classes i couldnt hang on to the bars goin flying into the corner 5th gear hit one of those bumps catch air and just about knocked me off my quad of course i only way 130 lbs. but the way the ice is in wisconsin this year its rougher than hell.

400exrider707
02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
You will lose traction without a doubt. Solid is a bad idea IMO. You need that weight transfer to plant the rear end and hook up.

We had a "buddy" use ratchet straps on his quad to lower it down for riding the ice, it was terrible and didn't hook up at all. Running the same set of tires on that bike compared to even a tall sitting stock suspension bike, it was night and day difference. The stiff setup just plain sucked at getting any traction.

yamaha_blaster
02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
the back shock helps with cornering quite a bit if you put the the aluminum in there the back would slide alot more i would just get a lowering link.I race non stud but alot of my buddies race studded and all of them use lowering links