PDA

View Full Version : oil synthetic or not?

288sunny
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Just curious what your thoughts are about oils? are synthetics ok to use, have you used them, any troubles, pro's and cons?

A mechanic told me it was a big no no to use synthetic oils, told me just to use a good petrol. based oil. kinda confused as suzuki sells a 4 stroke oil thats synthetic?? several other brands as well~

also just curious what brands you all swear by?

kellymi
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Synthetic oil is fine. Just don't use oil that is made for cars, it has friction modifiers in it that don't do your clutch any good. There are many synthetic and non synthetic oils out there that you can use. I used Rotella synthetic 5w40 in mine.

quad97
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I have been using Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic in my DVX since 2005. I am pretty sure it has saved my motor a few times when there was no coolant left in the radiator.

Flynbryan19
01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 288sunny
Just curious what your thoughts are about oils? are synthetics ok to use, have you used them, any troubles, pro's and cons?

A mechanic told me it was a big no no to use synthetic oils, told me just to use a good petrol. based oil. kinda confused as suzuki sells a 4 stroke oil thats synthetic?? several other brands as well~

also just curious what brands you all swear by?

I'd find a new mechanic. If his this mis-informed about something as basic as oil I wouldn't let him touch my quad.

nastynotchback1
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I USE THE SUZUKI 4 STROKE OIL.WORSK FINE FOR ME

airmobile101
01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I'd find a new mechanic. If his this mis-informed about something as basic as oil I wouldn't let him touch my quad.
lol, I have to agree.Please don't tell me thats the guy that did the DRZ upgrade?

kellymi
01-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I would agree also. The mechanic should know better.