PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, New Quad ( pics )

Newrider08
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Well new to me quad

Its a 2002 Honda 400EX, black plastic and some aluminum aftermarket bumpers, skid plates and other goodies.

Is there anything that I need to check or change before I take it on a long day ride?

Im assuming oil, plug and filters but anything else?

I will soon have the a-arms and other parts powder coated and probably a new seat cover since this one has a very small hole in it that is just driving me crazy lol

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4378/forumwf8.jpg
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3905/forum2qo6.jpg

rcatvrider
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Nice looking quad and welcome.

Newrider08
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Hopefully I will get a chance to clean it up Thursday, it is supposed to be 50 degrees that day and I will go get it dirty then clean it up lol

Oh and thanks for the welcome

rcatvrider
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Looks pretty clean to me! The cold affects how much I wash my quad too, but whenever it's over 40 you can bet I'm out there hosing it down.

5084Jr
01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Nice quad, I see your from Missouri, how far from St. Louis?

dunatic
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
here would be my pre ride check list:

1. Oil/Filter change (Drain both the oil tank and tranny) replace filter.

2. Spark plug (gapped to .018")

3. Spark plug boot. Check to make sure you have a nice snug fit from the clamp in the boot to the top of the plug.

4. Lube chain. jack the back of the bike off the ground, start bike and let idle in 2 or 3rd gear to loosen chain a bit, lube with a quality product, then check chain for tightness with your fanny on the seat.

5. Check both the throttle and clutch cable for smooth action and adjust both for a lil slack at idle/rest.

6. Clean and re-oil the air filter (if applicable) or replace with a good after market (re-usable) filter.

7. place battery on charger overnight to ensure a complete charge. remove caps and ensure that all battery cells are full of purified water...dont use tap water. If all else fails, you can boil water and use it once it cools.

8. check tire inflation and set at recommendations on tires.

9. check rear hubs for tightness. if loose, remove cotter pin, tighten and replace pin. Might not be a bad idea to use a lil "light duty" lock tite on the threads as this is a common problem.

10. check brake pads and replace if necessary. Bleed brakes both front and rear.

11. check front end alignment. should be set near 1/8" toe in. If not, adjust accordingly.

12. adjust shifter position up or down to suit your riding style.

13. Adjust valves according to Honda's recommendations.

By doing many of these now, youll familiarize yourself with the bike and accomplish many things at the same time. Many of which you shouldnt have to repeat but once a year or longer.

Good luck and happy trails on your new ride.

rob_990
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
thats a nice looking 4hundy

i would say dunatic pretty much covered everything just remember to spray you chain with lube before you ride and grease the a arms/shock linkage when it starts to get sqeaky.

Newrider08
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by 5084Jr
Nice quad, I see your from Missouri, how far from St. Louis?

I am an hour north of KC actually

5084Jr
01-20-2009, 08:56 PM
wow so your a good trip from me. Well it was worth a shot.

Newrider08
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I will be down that way sometime, I have a friend with down by Stockton Lake and he said they have some good riding down there

F150 Rider
01-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Nice ride man! How are you liking those Razrs?

Shogun Phoenix
01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
I used to live in Stockton.. There are a few pretty good places. Worth the drive.

Newrider08
01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by F150 Rider
Nice ride man! How are you liking those Razrs?

I like them so far, I have not had a lot of time to ride it because it has been so cold and I have a sick kiddo at home but I plan to ride tomorrow.

They do grab pretty good on all the surfaces I have ridden so far

PUREBREED450R
01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
CHECK YOUR PIVOT BOLT !!

CEHCK YOU PIVOT BOLT

CHECK YOUR PIVOT BOLT

THAT DAMN PIVOT BOLT IS INFAMOUS FOR SEIZING UP. IT CAN RIUN YOU WHOLE SWINGER, OR CAUSE YOU TO DO THINGS TO YOUR BIKE YOU WOULDNT USUALLY DO, LIKE TAKE A SAWZALL TO IT.

GEASE IT EVERY MONTH.

LOOSEN THE BOLT HAVE A BUDDY LIGHLTY PICK THE END OF YOUR QUAD UP AND DOWN SLIGHTLY TILL YOU FIND THE G SPOT AND SLIDE HER OUT. SHE MIGHT NEED A TAP ONCE YOU START TO PULL IT OUT

BUT IN MY OPINION THATS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS!!

dunatic
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
I would agree with the swinger pivot bolt, but not something that I would worry about before the 1st ride.

The other things are a must and could leave you stranded and sitting out while your buddies are having fun and pretty easy to do by yourself.

There are lots of things to do next:

1. Pivot Bolt lubed
2. Rear carrier bearings lubed
3. Front hub bearings lubed
4. Steering stem bearing/bushing lubed.
5. Dialectric grease on every electrical connection
6. Remove and clean gas tank petcock, clean tank out thoroughly.
7. Full blown front end alignment
8. If not needed, removal of the parking brake mechanism, cable and replace clutch lever with EZ pull type.
9. Install extra ground wire from engine to bare metal spot on frame.
10. Drill gas cap vent out.
11. Remove choke mechanism
12. Grind exhaust welds
13. Install high flow exhaust tip or slip on.

these (and the things I mentioned before) are some of the things that I do to every used bike I get.

That way when i get there, im the last one to break down due to lack of attention or maintenance on my machines.

Component failure is bound to happen and cannot be visioned or avoided.