PDA

View Full Version : Fuel properties Race vs. pump

LONG-ROD
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Just want to start a post to inform people about there fuel, and disscuse the issue

FOUR FUEL PROPERTIES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listed below are the four basic qualities of fuels. As in everything, there are trade-offs. You can't make a racing fuel that has the best of everything, but you can produce one that will give your engine the most power. This is why VP produces different fuels for different applications. The key to getting the best racing gasoline is not necessarily buying the fuel with the highest octane, but getting one that is best suited for your engine.

1. OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel's ability to resist detonation and/or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers, (RON); Motor Octane Numbers, (MON); and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuel's MON and RON. VP uses MON because this test method more accurately simulates racing conditions. The conditions under which fuels are tested using the RON method are not as demanding, thus the number is normally higher than the MON rating. This leads many other fuel companies to rate their fuels using the RON in an effort to make them appear more resistant to detonation. Don't be fooled by high RON numbers or an average -- MONs are the most relevant ratings for a racing application. Be aware, however, the ability of fuel to resist detonation is a function of more than just octane.

2. BURNING SPEED: This is the speed at which fuel releases its energy. At high RPMs, there is very little time (real time - not crank rotation) for fuel to release its energy. Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20° ATDC. If the fuel is still burning after this, it is not contributing to peak cylinder pressure (which is what the rear wheels see).

3. ENERGY VALUE: An expression of the potential energy in the fuel. The energy value is measured in BTUs per pound, not per gallon. The difference is important. The air:fuel ratio is expressed in weight, not volume. Generally speaking, VP's fuels measure high BTUs per pound and thus, have a higher energy value. This higher energy value will have a positive impact on horsepower at any compression ratio or engine speed.

4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect on fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher a fuel's heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture. A better cooling effect can generate some horsepower gains in 4-stroke engines, and even bigger gains in 2-stroke engines.

atvmxr
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
do a compression check. if your under 165? psi regular fuel is fine.

the biggest benefit of race fuel is that it is purer, versus pump gas which has X amount of water due to condensation in it. IMO....

my R's run on pump gas for 20 year with no problem.. the zilla requires better fuel though...

rustyATV
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
the biggest benefit of race fuel is that it is purer, versus pump gas which has X amount of water due to condensation in it. IMO....

it also has detergents and, depending on the year and location, varying amounts of MTBE and alchohol.

I ran my R on 93pump gas with 185psi of compression for years with no problems. I only upped to 210psi because I wanted more of a kick, though there's certainly a lot less carbon and crud buildup with race gas.

LONG-ROD
01-21-2009, 04:43 AM
And it smells so good!!!!! exspecially with Klottz

jcs003
01-21-2009, 05:32 AM
nice write-up 'long-rod.' this info falls into the engineering philosophy of old. make it more efficient! if all the porting is good, everything is in top condition(electrical, bearings, rings,etc.), its is left to the fuel.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by LONG-ROD
And it smells so good!!!!! exspecially with Klottz

:D Long Rod,
You mix up a tank of gas with Blendzall racing castor & get a smell of that, you'll throw that Klotz away.
Smells so trick like its got ice in it & just the smell, you'll think you got 10 more hp.
Neil

1promodfan
01-21-2009, 01:29 PM
^^^^^^^Thats true......Blendzall smells really good. I like Klotz, its just a little "greasy".

brokenmike
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
^^^^^^SO TRUE, Blendzall smells great

86 Quad R
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
yup it does but me likes my klotz bestest. :D

LONG-ROD
01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
never tryed it Blendzall I will get some on my next order, and jcs003 WHAT????????

jcs003
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
never tryed it Blendzall I will get some on my next order, and jcs003 WHAT????????

sorry, wasn't being specific enough. but basically if your engine is built correctly, all that is left is the correct fuel.

LONG-ROD
01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Is Bledzall a good quality oil as Klotz R 50? Is it castor, or is it ester? thanks.

86 Quad R
01-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Is Bledzall a good quality oil as Klotz R 50? Is it castor, or is it ester? thanks.

yuppers its a really good oil. rather expensive though and is a caster. some of the fastest banshees in the world use it.

LONG-ROD
01-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I just found blenzall on the internet for 6.50 /16oz 42.00 for a gallon thats 1/2 price compared to klottz. ( Blendzall ultra race castor 2-cycle oil) the stuff in the yellow bottle is that it.

addictedtomud
01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Honestly, do alot of you guys run Blendzall? I have heard alot of negative opinions about it from various local people, but it also seems like every bike shop I go to has Blendzall and Yamalube 2R on their shelves, so it must be popular. I have never used it, but I have smelled it from other bikes down in the woods and it does smell great!

So the question is...is anybody out there a faithful Blendzall user with good results?

C-LEIGH RACING
01-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Blendzall oil is kind of a weard thing, you got a Yamaha bike, you use Blendzall or Yamaha 2r in the gas.
Its like it was a SOP for Yamaha owners.

I used it few years back in gas & alky engines.

Only thing that I kinda didnt like was, anywhere you had a seepage, like around the pipe or even the insides of the engine, is was sticky like.
Realy wasnt that big of a problem, just was a little harder when cleaning it off the engine.
I remember it didnt like real cold weather either, it would seperate from the gas when real cold, but I cant remember the temp when that would happen.

We always sloshed the bike tanks & jugs when it was cold just to be sure it was mixxed up. Never locked one up from it though.

Last bottle I seen was a yellow bottle with green lettered stick on label.
$6.50, thats about the same price for a pint I was paying back then.
You have a site listing.
Neil

LONG-ROD
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
It says seperation can occur under 50 F but there is a new stuff out, and they make no claims of seperation.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/269/12603/ITEM/Blendzall-Ultra-Race-Castor-2-Cycle-Oil.aspx

1promodfan
01-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Personally, I use Amsoil and I have to say that I love it!! I switched from Klotz to Amsoil, and I've never looked back!!!

I've never used Blendzall, but like some others I have smelled it.