PDA

View Full Version : front shocks

LONG-ROD
01-20-2009, 07:09 AM
anyone know how to adjust the spring load on these, I have works triple rate, the older light blue and white ones. There so stiff, and pushes the front end up all the way, and seems to push hard in the corners, and if there is mud build up will not even turn.

knobbyboy
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I got those same shocks. It works sort of like a valve spring keeper, compress the spring a bit and pop the retainer ring out from the top with a small screw driver. You can move the "C" ring up and down the upper shock body to set pre-load. If they are real tight it may be difficult to compress the spring. I did them with each shock in the vice and using channel lock pliers on the tender spring coils.

86 Quad R
01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
i found it best to use a bearing seperator "locked" around the shock while using a press to push the shock.

LONG-ROD
01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys, I maneged to do this in under 10 min. I used 2 vise grips and a stand. MY springs are kinda ugly anyways and I have covers. Is there away to remove the spring to powder coat them. I only have basic tools.

knobbyboy
01-21-2009, 09:09 AM
With spring tension off you can remove the large C ring from the bottom of the shocks and slide all the springs off. Top ring off, then the bottom ring, springs come off the bottom.