PDA

View Full Version : valves,oil

trxex
12-20-2002, 07:36 AM
hello .new to 400 ex. i adjusted my valves when the motor was cold ,about 40 deg "f. set intake to .004,exhuast to .005 in. adjusted untill feeler gauge had resistence.when the motor is hot i still hear very slight taping.also iam now using honda gn4 10w40 sj.i want to switch to synthic oil .motor has about 20 hrs on it.is honda hp4 ok if so there are 2 diffefent typs (with moly and with out moly)?????. or is there something better? tks

YZROOSTINYA
12-20-2002, 07:44 AM
the tapping is normal

wait till about 30 hours

"without moly" is what you want

cals400ex
12-20-2002, 02:00 PM
mine always do tap. even when adjusted. maybe its not my valves but it sounds like it to me. its not bad or anything and i know they are not off because i can beat a 400ex with kandn, exhaust, and jets. i have a stock pipe and a modded airbox lid and i also jetted it. who knows. i run mobil 1 synthetic. it is 15w-50. many people run this synthetic without any clutch problems and i have run it for over 2 year without any problems. i think honda has a new hp4 pro oil out. i have read it is approved for use in all honda atv's and motorcycles. so i am assuming you can use it in wet clutches. but, this sells for $7.00 a quart at my dealer. the mobil 1 you can get at walmart, target, autozone, etc. for less than $5.00 a quart.