PDA

View Full Version : he;;o finally bought 2 400ex atvs

JOHNNYRENO
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
well this is my first post i have been lurking. i could not turn down the deal of 3999 each so we did it, im getting them shipped in so no sales tax, 1 for me 1 for my wifey first mod will be twist throttles, question is i want to use the stock cable cause i may want to use the thumb later. which kit will work with original cable i have been riding motorcycles all my life so it will be natural to me. im not racing and neither is she mostly long desert rides with minimal hills and jumps. thx in advance p.s. great site.

01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I personally wouldn't even waste the time or money on the twist-throttle. I was in the same boat as you. I use to ride nothing but dirt bikes. My 400 is the first quad I've owned. I didn't like the idea of the thumb throttle and thought I'd hate it. Now I would want a thumb throttle on a dirt bike also.
Your quad, do what you want, but at least give it a try first.

crixal
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
twist throttle just isn't right on a quad. try out the thumb, it will feel natural after a few rides. first mod should be some good tires if they aren't already good or maybe a new exhaust. i loved my 400ex, but i had to have that extra power. post a pic of them.

jason_31
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
if you wanna go with the twist, id get the Moose Dual Gasser Thumb/Twist Throttle so you can switch from either or with litterally the push of a button

JOHNNYRENO
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by crixal
twist throttle just isn't right on a quad. try out the thumb, it will feel natural after a few rides. first mod should be some good tires if they aren't already good or maybe a new exhaust. i loved my 400ex, but i had to have that extra power. post a pic of them. when adding new exhaust will i have to rejet the carb thx.

JOHNNYRENO
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by jason_31
if you wanna go with the twist, id get the Moose Dual Gasser Thumb/Twist Throttle so you can switch from either or with litterally the push of a button wow good option thanks jason.

JOHNNYRENO
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
yup now for exhaust i want the loudest hee heee any suggestions would be great.

brian76708
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JOHNNYRENO
yup now for exhaust i want the loudest hee heee any suggestions would be great.

HMF and yes u will have to jet it and you should also get a new air filter such as a uni and congratulations on the new purchase you will have a lot of fun on them.

jason_31
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=336822
there you go, there kinda a little review on the twist/thumb throttle if you arent sure or not

buck440
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
i have a hmf and it will SCREAM!!!

RaceinCircles
01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
HMF, I love mine, neighbors hate it. I would also say, with only a slip on pipe that you wouldnt necessarily HAVE to rejet, but most people on here will tell you to. Fyi, I listened to them and am happy, but I also have more than just a pipe :) Congrats and I'm positive you'll have a blast!