PDA

View Full Version : 300ex vs. warrior

beags86
01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
hey guys, looking for some opinions on the 300ex and/or warrior. i want to buy one of these quads for my girlfriend to ride with me. i have a 400ex so it needs to keep up with that. has some stuff, no stocker. i would be putting a pipe, air filter and prob jet whichever one i end up getting. price will be a factor as well, but i am pretty much all honda type of guy, but right now i just want to get her something she can handle to get her seat time so she can have my 400ex and i can get a 450, she's 5'7" 130lbs. tell me which one would be better.

mosly trail rideing

thanks brian

XCAdam89
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
You can't go wrong with a 300ex. They are fun, reliable and the aftermarket is there waiting when your ready.

In stock form, it could use some improvement (Primarily in the suspension department), but I think you would be happy with it.

I've ridden a warrior and it felt way too bulky for me, but your best bet is to go look at a few and try them out, see what you guys like the best and then go from there.

BlaineKaiser450
01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
300 for sure

<DRS>GPF
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
i bought my son a warrior and its "ok".. but if i were to do it again he'd get a honda..

Mattman88
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
300ex for sure, I have ridden a 300ex and a warrior and the 300ex was much better in my book.

wilkin250r
01-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Are you really, absolutely set on those two choices?

In my experience, most girls aren't as aggressive as guys when they're riding, so it doesn't make sense to get a quad that will "keep up" with a 400EX. Your girlfriend isn't going to ride it hard enough to keep up, anyways.

First impressions are really important, and you want your girlfriend's first experiences riding a quad to be enjoyable, not a struggle. For this reason, I'd suggest an auto-clutch.

Personally, I think a 250EX with the sport-clutch is the best girl-quad out there. The centrifigul clutch makes it really easy to start out and learn so you can get out riding right away instead of stalling 59 times in the driveway. Down the road, the manual clutch override allows for practice getting ready to upgrade to a full manual clutch quad. It's not the fastest, but it's not the slowest either.

It's light, nimble, easy to manage, and easy to drive. If you find a hill so steep the 250EX can't climb it, chances are your girlfriend is afraid to go up in anyways. It will be ABLE to go anywhere your girflriend is WILLING to go.

beags86
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
wilkin 250r- thats great advice but i have allready taught her how to ride my 400ex, so she can drive the clutch.

about her keeping up- your prob right won't she will prob stay a bit behind, and won't go up those hills anyway.

however...........

we went out trail rideing once and i let her drive my kawi praire 400 4x4. and she got pissed cuz i left a stop sign to quick and left her behind once.

lastly the reason i am kind of set on those to models is the most important one: i took her down to my local honda dealer cuz they had a used 250ex for a decent price, i was going to make sure it was good enough for her before i got it and she said it was more comforable sitting on my 400- go figure (whether is was or she was just used to the bigger machines of my 400 and 400 can be debated)

now then i raise the question. is their any other models that would be good for her. price is a concern. would like to only spend 1500 or less.... around here a warrior or 300 is easily in that ballpark with change to spare. thanks for the input

smr
01-21-2009, 06:20 AM
go with the 300ex. Warriors ride like a utility.

The 300ex if left in stock form is a very reliable machine. We have 3 of them and they give little trouble.

One of the good things about a 300ex, there's a ton of parts on e bay. You can put the 400ex a-arms and shocks on the front and they handle great.

300extreme#8
01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
the 300exs are great for what your planning on doing, but I also believe the warrior may be better. i first started riding when I was about 7, that was a three wheeler then i had a dirtbike, after that i got a 300ex. the guy i rode with had a 350 warrior. ok so i joined the racing scene but when we and tyler rode(350 warrior) he handled trails and hill way easier, in fact i flipped more because mine was lighter. The warrior is like a banshee, its kinda hard to pop a wheelie unless you know the power well enough and use your body the right way. the warrior is more easy going in trail and field riding, its kinda like a cruiser, also the warior was always faster and kept up with a 400 better. It climbed hills better without worried about the front end coming over, and it also went through the trails a little better. so my choice would be warrior, she would probaly feel more comfortable with it if she didnt like the 250ex and the 300 aint much different

elmer91
01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
300ex for sure. I owned a warrior, and personally, i did not like it. Dont get me wrong, it was a good quad, just not for me. It was heavy and sluggish. I have ridden 300's and they are a lot better. Also there is more aftermarket stuff on the market for a 300.

01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
the 300exs are great for what your planning on doing, but I also believe the warrior may be better. i first started riding when I was about 7, that was a three wheeler then i had a dirtbike, after that i got a 300ex. the guy i rode with had a 350 warrior. ok so i joined the racing scene but when we and tyler rode(350 warrior) he handled trails and hill way easier, in fact i flipped more because mine was lighter. The warrior is like a banshee, its kinda hard to pop a wheelie unless you know the power well enough and use your body the right way. the warrior is more easy going in trail and field riding, its kinda like a cruiser, also the warior was always faster and kept up with a 400 better. It climbed hills better without worried about the front end coming over, and it also went through the trails a little better. so my choice would be warrior, she would probaly feel more comfortable with it if she didnt like the 250ex and the 300 aint much different

I feel kind of the same way. There was never any tricks or surprises with the warrior. The front stayed planted unless you purposely popped it up, and it never felt like it wanted to tip or anything.

CSR400EX
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
X2 on that. my dad's warrior climbs hills very well, it hasnt come up on me yet (knock on wood). its a really fun trail bike, and is a solid bike for anyone. and i do agree that they are a bit faster than a 300. i can take most the 300's around here on our warrior.

XCRacer236
01-21-2009, 01:52 PM
i raced a raptor 350 all year in IXC, same thing as the warrior, and i had no problems. if i was smart and used my head i did everything i needed and wanted to. i had a 300 before that, and liked the 350 way better.

k4f5x0r
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
uhm no. the warrior and raptor 350 are completely different. the frames are different so are ths shocks, a arms etc etcc

beags86
01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
found a warrior, for sale, but until the latest post i was going to go with the 300ex. i am a honda guy on my 5th honda, had one
utility yamaha, wasn't that impressed with it, but it was kind of a pile anyways.... anyway i found a 94 warrior, thats runs if you pull start it, you can't just start it with elec. start - even with a new battery in it, it won't start unless the battery charger is hooked up (sounds like the cdi box isn't getting enough juice, maybe a cable needs replaced) bent handlebars and a small oil leak.....now the good. nerf bars, dg front bumper, pro circuit t-4 exhaust, jetted, comes with three set of rear wheels and tires. no cracks in plastic, faded a bit, new seat cover, new stainless steel rear bearing carrier. 400$

found a real nice 02 300ex for 1400$....just a comparsion, of whats around my area

what do you think?

XCRacer236
01-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
uhm no. the warrior and raptor 350 are completely different. the frames are different so are ths shocks, a arms etc etcc

LMAO! dude you need to do some major research.

k4f5x0r
01-21-2009, 07:42 PM
whoops i was thinking of the raptor 250 and the blaster.... my bad :o

XCRacer236
01-21-2009, 07:44 PM
alright

S.A.J
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
you said that you taught her how to drive your 400 and that you wanted to let her hav it eventualy and then buy yourself a 450r,why wouldnt you just give her your 400 now already and avoid buying a quad you dont need and avoiding mayb loosing money on it when you try and get rid of it later.or do you not have enough money to but the 450r now?also if your worried about it being to much power for her isnt there somthng you can do to the thumb throttle or a block or limiter for the gas so you can adjust the power for her?

beags86
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
well i had thought of that. i reason i don't is money, just don't have the money right now for a good 450, now to everyone reading this i don't want a million replys about how you can find a good 450r on craigslist for 3 grand. yes. i know you can. i even found one for 2500. great! but... i don't have 2500. i have about a grand. so with that said i 'll go buy my 300ex or warrior for my grand i have to spend and get to ride and spend some time with my little lady. and while were riding this summer. i'll be saving for summer of 2010. hell maybe honda will bring out a brand new 450r....you know exactly the same as it now but maybe a white frame and orange plastics!

300extreme#8
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
like i said, for what you wanna do the warrior would be your better bet, yamaha vs honda isnt the question, its restrictly the type of riding, i dont see many girls wanting to go balls to the walls and jump alot and what not so thats y i say warrior. but as the the other statment bout the warrior for 400. look at it this way, you can fix the problems with it and save youself more money than buying the 300 for 1400. you can do alot to fix it with the 1000 dollars you'll save by buying the warrior. and your gurl will be happy either way cause she will be riding and power wise she will think its close to ur 400ex, so i say get the warrior man. :)

01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Warrior FO SHO

Great girls bike. Super stable, slightly more powerful then the 300ex, big soft seat, and heavy nose so no surprise wheelies.

S.A.J
01-22-2009, 08:28 PM
ive driven a 300ex and hated it so for that reason id say warior plus its bit bigger

01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
ok ive had the FAMOUS warrior as you all know, im going to suggest the warrior for her because it was designed for the trails; it floats; there are millions of parts for it; cheap to fix;
wh not the 300ex well its just more of a 13 year olds bike, saying that it will not keep up with your 400ex without some major major mods done to it stock for tock the 400ex only goes 5mph faster than the warrior, i am a yamaha honda guy ive been riding both to this day IMO they are the only brands to get , but its up to you a four weller that has been made for 18 years [really 23 being the raptor 350 is the same motor and everthing with only minor changes]WARRIOR or one that has been made for only 13 years{300ex} i would just wait though because they both have low resale values

01-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by beags86
found a warrior, for sale, but until the latest post i was going to go with the 300ex. i am a honda guy on my 5th honda, had one
utility yamaha, wasn't that impressed with it, but it was kind of a pile anyways.... anyway i found a 94 warrior, thats runs if you pull start it, you can't just start it with elec. start - even with a new battery in it, it won't start unless the battery charger is hooked up (sounds like the cdi box isn't getting enough juice, maybe a cable needs replaced) bent handlebars and a small oil leak.....now the good. nerf bars, dg front bumper, pro circuit t-4 exhaust, jetted, comes with three set of rear wheels and tires. no cracks in plastic, faded a bit, new seat cover, new stainless steel rear bearing carrier. 400$

found a real nice 02 300ex for 1400$....just a comparsion, of whats around my area

what do you think?

it has a blown fuse i did the exact same thing its a normal fuse th cylinder kind nothing special you need to order it on the left side wiring just start pulling the apart and youll see it the inside metal piece of it is metaalic blue do not do the charger start thing you will mell the wiring piece to he!! i did this with the warrior before last, its happend once on both of mine

beags86
01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
thanks for the info, if i end up getting it - it will be the first thing i check. i am talking to a guy about a 300ex right now. so who knows... sound like both quads would work pretty well for what i want, which i guess i knew-thanks why i was looking at those 2 models...right now it pretty much comes down to price.

01-24-2009, 01:14 AM
300ex...it shares a few parts with your 400ex...one being wheels,

as a side note for mxcowboy...the 300ex stated out as a 250x before the warrior was in existance...

01-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
300ex...it shares a few parts with your 400ex...one being wheels,

as a side note for mxcowboy...the 300ex stated out as a 250x before the warrior was in existance... the 250x has two years on the warrior.....big woop yes i known basicly the only difference is the motor displacement but i think youve completely missed my point...................

01-25-2009, 07:56 AM
your point was that the warrior was around longer than the 33 ex so it has a better run, but it was not so around longer so...

i would take a 300ex over a warrior any day, the ex handles better, is lighter in case she gets stuck...maybe she can get tit unstuck before you realize she was stuck...ect...

beags86
03-29-2009, 04:47 PM
bringing back an old tread.. finally picked up a quad looked high and low for a 300ex and a warrior, but i just found nothing in a good price range that wasn't beat to hell. it wasn't beat it was over priced, so i thought i would just buy a nice 400ex but then i started loking at 250R prices and found i could pick one up for around 2 large, so i went that route bought a 86 250r from quad9 this weekend
so i am going to put my old lady on the 400 and i'll get the 250r hehe:D