PDA

View Full Version : timing chain/tentioner issue!? PLZ HELP

400thacker
01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
my quad keeps jumping time and I discovered that the tentioner was bad and when i went to replace the tentioner, it went all the way into the cylinder without having to adjust the tentioner in.
If i remember correctly, you have to turn the small center (small flat screw driver) to suck the tentioner in before it will install. is this correct? if so does that mean it has to be a timing chain thats stretched?
basically it doesn't have any tention on it at all. it tightenes the chain up very little. I can change the timing without removing the tentioner or anything. this just doesn't seem right.
thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan

Chukkinsod
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
You know I had the same issue......chain jumped time piston smacked the intake valves. Found it to be the tensioner failed stuck. Those are self adjusting (spring) and (new)should take care of the slack. I didnt have to replace my chain, so hopefully a new one will fix your issue. Maybe your timing chain slides are also wore down too far

NacsMXer
01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I never messed with tightening with a screwdriver before installation...the tensioner is self-adjusting. All I did was put the tensioner in the hole (could not push it all the way in by hand due to the tension), then I tightened the 2 small bolts to suck it all the way in.

If yours doesn't act the same way, try installing a new tensioner to see if that's the problem.

Pipeless416
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
time for a new chain;) . if the tensioner isn't adjusted back out and you install it like that on a newer timing chain, it will put excessive tension on it, causing it to prematurely wear. all i do is have my brother hold the screwdriver so the tensioner stays all the way retracted, while i tighten the two bolts. once they're tight, he takes the screwdriver out and it will put the correct force on the chain guide and adjust itself out accordingly.

400thacker
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
thanks alot.
I think that the last time that i installed the tentioner I just tightened the bolts and didn't suck it in with the screw driver. I guess I was right all along. thanks again for the help.
Dan