PDA

View Full Version : A arm/shock question

honda250xman
01-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I posted this up in the suspension discussion but no one was hitting on it. So hopefully someone here will be able to help me out.

What makes a shock specific to a certain a arm? Like when someone says these shocks are made for say, atv four-play a arms. I thought only the length of shock an a arm accepts mattered? Can someone please elaborate? I know it deals with the geometry aspect of it but if an a arm accepts an 18 1/2 inch shock wouldnt any arm that takes that length work?

thanks

k4f5x0r
01-18-2009, 02:44 PM
the placement of the shock location on each a arm is different. the shocks could be the same length but the geometry could be completely different.

i can not really elaborate since i do not completley understand either. but that is the reason. im sure many otehrs can expand on that :rolleyes:

ProspectorJim
01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I believe it is just the valving for the different leverage ratios that each arm gives.

honda250xman
01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
ok thanks guys. are most geometries that much different from arm to arm?

ben300
01-18-2009, 04:52 PM
pm colby or 400exriders707, they should be able to give you a good answer to your question..

honda250xman
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
ok thanks for the heads up

national #9
01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
There a number of reasons that shocks are made for certain a-arms, first, the shock mount location, the further out it is. the longer the shock, also where in it is located, on the top, the middle, or under the lower tube, both of these are used to set extended length and compressed length of the shocks. As for valving this forum isn't long enough to go into all of the details, or how travel is limited by the ball joints.ect. so when you are buying a-arms buy the correct shocks that the manufacturer recomends, because there is nothing worse then framing out off a 100 foot double because you bought the wrong shocks.