PDA

View Full Version : cylinder

LONG-ROD
01-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Can someone tell me what kind of cylinder I have by numbers on it? I have one I am going to sell, but I would like to no exactly what it is.

LONG-ROD
01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok I did some homework, it is a 85 jug, can someone tell me about this jug, good , bad,

rustyATV
01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I wonder if he sit here and watch, how much will you find out on your own?

Nah....

Are you looking for just general notes about the cylinders?

The ATC jugs have a bit hotter porting from the factory than the later TRX jugs. If you can hold two unported ones up to each other, you'll notice the ATC's exhaust ports are flatter and broader on their roofs.

If you turn the cylinders upside down and stick your fingers down the transfers, you'll notice the ATC's transfers have a sort of flat spot in them, where the TRXs are rounded all the way to the ports. I'm TOLD (but I don't know for sure) that this was done on the TRX to improve low end power.

The open intake will flow better than the later TRX's bridged intake, at the expense of ring life.

Comparing unported jugs, you might notice the ATC casting to be less refined, and may have more misalignment between casting and sleeve.

The ATC castings are either softer, or just plain weaker, so they're susceptible to cracking if you port the transfers and raise the compression. The later TRXs have a little material added around the base studs on the intake side to help with this.

Gregjy
01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
That may explain the crack in my atc jug that comes from the rear left mounting tab into the intake. Sucks cause it was a sweet running jug!!

rustyATV
01-18-2009, 05:23 PM
So was mine

LONG-ROD
01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
anyone want it it appears to be in great condition

LONG-ROD
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
It appears to be unported and has some life on the sleeve like good 3/16 of an inch, lol sorry no mic.

All250R
01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I might be. How much do you want for it and what is the bore size? Also, how do you know its unported?
Thx

LONG-ROD
01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't no, It appears to be, There are no visable sighns that there has been any grinding, my motor that DRI did, my banshee and every mx bike I could tell right away something had been done. I already listed it on E bay Item number: 220347800493

rustyATV
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, that's unported. Nice mating surface, too.