PDA

View Full Version : I need some exhaust opinions

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 10:18 AM
OK, I was at the dunes yesterday and the forest service was doin random testing. They ticketed two guys that they picked for a test. I volunteered to have mine tested. I just bought the bike in october with a white brothers e series pipe on it. Mine tested at 102db. The fact that I volunteered for the test rather than getting picked kept me out of a ticket. What can I do to get mine below the 97-97db range? I dont know anything about the pipe. It seems to have a few disks in the end, and other than that I dont know any more about it. I have been looking on ebay and found this pipe "Lexx MXe Slip On Silencer Exhaust Pipe" What do you guys think? I dont have alot of cash to deal with right now. I dont know anything about the white bros pipe. Can you repack it or add or remove those disks to change the noise level? Different configurations? I dont know much about pipes in general. I'm still learnin. Thanks for any help guys.

drew416ex
01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
You can take some discs out and it will lower the noise some, but it will also change your power output. you will notice that it will have good low end but fall off on the top end when you have fewer discs in. I think white bros might make a quiet core insert for it too.

buck440
01-18-2009, 11:48 AM
get a HMF BALLANCE and then you should be in the clear :devil:

sprayedgt
01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
HMF?? Aren't they amongst the loudest out there?

buck440
01-18-2009, 03:06 PM
yessssss siiirrrrrrrrr :p

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 03:57 PM
If HMF are among the loudest, how would that help me? I am trying to avoid getting a ticket. Can mine be quieted enough to get below 97db?

rob_990
01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
if i were you i definetly wouldnt downgrade and buy a lexx slip on. i think that you have one of the nicest exhausts right now.try repacking it and messing around with the disks or you can just pull out the spark plug wire when they try testing you so your bike wont start.

sprayedgt
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by buck440
yessssss siiirrrrrrrrr :p
How would he be better off with a louder exhaust if he's already too loud??? I wish people would read before they post. Loud is useless, unless it gives a huge power gain AND can be used where you ride. All it does is give a bad name to a sport that a lot of people already have a bad opinion about. I would see what you could do to quiet what you have down a little and stay away from anything made by HMF.

buck440
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
if loud pipes give the sport a bad name, then so be it.

sprayedgt
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
That bad name translates, in time, to fewer and fewer places to ride in the future. You can have the fastest and loudest quad in the world but it doesn't mean anything if you have no where you can ride it:p

dave4881
01-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Your White Bros E2 is one of the best performing slip-ons. In power tests, it came in 2nd, only beaten by the Curtis Sparks model.

Too bad they are no longer being made.

rob_990
01-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by buck440
if loud pipes give the sport a bad name, then so be it.

agreed

buck440
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
amen, in my small hick town i live in. population 400 we ride on the streets whenever we want and the one only cop we have has a huge *** rhino loaded to the max with cop lights on it and yes he does pull people over with it, and everybody in that town rides and love loud pipes and we party with the cop a few miles up the river on a huge sand bar. man i wish you all could ride here cause its a dream town and loud exhaust is excepted here and id have it no other way ;)

BlasterEaten250
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Try like 7-8 disks. That should put you around 97 db's I believe.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
I just went and pulled the end cap, from the muffler. There is the outside oval end cap with the hole in it. Then the spark arestor, and then 7 of the disks. There is no packing. Should I be able to just pull the perforated tube out the back and then pack it with the fiberglass stuff, then replace the disks, spark arestor and end cap?

tri5ron
01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by morrisbeer
I just went and pulled the end cap, from the muffler. There is the outside oval end cap with the hole in it. Then the spark arestor, and then 7 of the disks. There is no packing. Should I be able to just pull the perforated tube out the back and then pack it with the fiberglass stuff, then replace the disks, spark arestor and end cap?

Yes,
and you'll certainly lower your noise level. not sure if you'll get below the 97db, but I'd bet you'll pass no problem.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Does the perforated tube just slide out, after the endcap and disks are removed?
Or do you have to drill out the rivets in the muffler to get it out?

tri5ron
01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
if it's like my Big Gun, it should slide out, (and i'm assuming it is the same).
post some pics of it,... what you've already removed,... side shots of the cannister,... any angles you can, then it will be eaiser to tell.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Here are some pics, thanks for any help.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
And another one

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 10:36 PM
One last one.

Brauap
01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
The core doesn't slip out.. you have to take the front and rear rivets out, and slid it out the back.. its a pain.

I see you only have 8 disks.. :ermm: try 4.. see how you like the power and then get it tested..

BlasterEaten250
01-18-2009, 10:43 PM
The rivets have to come out to repack. And I really think after repacking with 7 disks you should be around 97 db's but I would put 5-6 in to get tested just to be safe.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Those are all rivets. Front and back.

tri5ron
01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
you will need to drill out the rivets at the rear of the canister, (do not drill out the front rivets yet, you may not need to drill the fronts out),
then the rear plate and perforated insert will come out. I can see that your insert is burnt away at the tail end, so you can surely bet that the forward end is gone.
You will need to replace that (the insert),completely, and it may be that you can keep the end cap. it just depends on if the insert is welded to the end cap.

when you drill the rivets,.... use a bit that is only big enough to drill out the head of the rivet. try to not drill all the way thru the rivet. You can punch the rivet shanks out after you get the plate out of the cannister.

the reason your insert is burned away is because nobody ever changed the packing and it got hotter than it should have.

When you go to replace the insert, check to see if they offer a "Quiet core" insert.
They are considerably quieter, and they do not drastically reduce the performance of the after market exhaust.

I put a quiet core in my race series Big Gun, and I CAN tell the difference in sound, but can feel NO difference in power, (no noticeable power loss).

when you re-assemble the muffler, you will replace the rivets with sheet metal screws, or a better way is to tack weld some nuts on the inside of the rear plate, then re-assemble with machine screws using star type lock washers under the heads of the machine screws.

hope this all makes sence, and is of some help to you.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 11:11 PM
The insert is totally loose at the rear of the canister. I can wobble it back and forth. Now it makes sence, I had a rattle that I could hear at idle. It would come and go. It was the insert making that noise. Your instructions make perfect sense. I will go to the cycle shop and pick up some packing and then get packing. Unfortunately I have a partially installed timing belt in my wife's PT cruiser that I need to get done first. Toys have to take the back seat. I just had a few minutes to take the back of the canister apart. I will have to get the car fixed before I finish up working on my toy. Tri5ron, and all those who replied, thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

morrisbeer
01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
So, just a recap. I should pack it with the fiber glass stuff and then go down to only 4 of the disks, right? Thanks for putting up with all of these posts and replies.

tri5ron
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I also bought my quad used. when I got it it was loud, I mean it was really TOO LOUD. i didn't realize that it was louder than it should have been, (My first quad, and first a/m exhaust).
Took it for a ride with some buddies the next weekend after I bought it.
NO ONE wanted to ride behind me, and they said to check the packing.
Here's what I found when I opened it up,
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8184.jpg

over half of the packing was gone from the forward side, and the insert was burned away for about the first inch.

for a quickie fix, I turned the insert ,(and remeining fiberglass packing),around backwards so it would slip over the tip of the headpipe where it goes into the cannister, I stuffed it back into the cannister about halfway, then filled in the missing areas of packing with 000 steel wool.
(we used to use steel wool back in the day,.... gee, this dosen't show my age, now does it??)
This got me through the following weekends ride, and would have probably gone for a good while,... (it WAS much quieter than the first ride).

but I did want to replace the insert, and arrestor screen, and Big Gun did offer a Quiet core, so that's the route I went while replacing the fiberglass packing with new.

i'm very happy with the results,...
It still gets up and goes,....
Roars PLENTY loud enough for me when i get on it,....

and now my buddies aren't all demanding that I stay in the rear of the pack! LOL!!!