PDA

View Full Version : Almost new 400ex wont start PLS HELP!

justinwatson88
01-18-2009, 09:45 AM
i bought a brand new 2007 400ex in 2008. it got the first oil change in august and i rode once after that. i put it in garage and went outa town for work. it run just fine when i put it up. i got back outa town in llate november and run the battery down trying to start it. i changed the sparkplug and got it to run. put it back up and got it out yesterday and it wouldnt hit a lick. i drained gas and put fresh in. checkd for spark and i have that. took carb off and im gettin gas. i tried pulling it off and it just sounds weak and every now and then itll fire for a second then die. its also backfiring while trying to pull it off... i called honda they said a weak battery can keep it from running even if its giving spark... i got the batt on charge now.. im far from being a mechanic... any suggestions? got gas got spark and it run fine when i put it up last. the one time i got it to run i had to hold full throttle and it sound real deep and was popping every few seconds.... appreciate any help thanks

ohiobanshee
01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Charge the battery,that should fix it.

sc400ex_rider
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
also you might want to rejet the carb these are notorious for being hard to start cold. they are jetted very lean from the factory for emissions perposes. even if you have to pay someone. you will cook your battery quick with the long cranking times trying to get it to start. also the carb has an accelerator pump in it like older carbed cars. so everytime you mash the throttle all the way it shoots a little gas towards the intake port. it will help a little but not enough. you will still need to go up in size on your pilot (idle) jet.

BancheeFew
01-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Yea the battery being charged should make it run.