PDA

View Full Version : Almost new 400 wont start pls help!

justinwatson88
01-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I bought a brand new 2007 400ex in 2008. it got the first oil change in august and i rode once after that. i put it in garage and went outa town for work. it run just fine when i put it up. i got back outa town in llate november and run the battery down trying to start it. i changed the sparkplug and got it to run. put it back up and got it out yesterday and it wouldnt hit a lick. i drained gas and put fresh in. checkd for spark and i have that. took carb off and im gettin gas. i tried pulling it off and it just sounds weak and every now and then itll fire for a second then die. its also backfiring while trying to pull it off... i called honda they said a weak battery can keep it from running even if its giving spark... i got the batt on charge now.. im far from being a mechanic... any suggestions? got gas got spark and it run fine when i put it up last. the one time i got it to run i had to hold full throttle and it sound real deep and was popping every few seconds.... appreciate any help thanks

sprayedgt
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
You may have gas, but is it fresh gas? Today's gas with ethanol attracts water in a vented fuel system. Make sure you have a full charge, don't flood the engine and it should start.

justinwatson88
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Yea i drained the tank and the carb put fresh gas in. put the charged batt on just a min ago and itll fire and idle for about 5 seconds and die and if i try to give it any gas itll die. im so confused any ideas?

sprayedgt
01-18-2009, 12:24 PM
What is the temp outside. Honda's are notorious for being cold natured. Just get it to fire with the choke and barely give it gas with the throttle. It also could be your idle is set too low. You could turn it a little to try and raise it a few rpm's.

justinwatson88
01-18-2009, 02:57 PM
yea i turned the idle screw and itll idle high for a few seconds then die. it just confuses me that itll idle for a few seconds and die and die if i give it any gas. its not even a year old and ran fine when i put it up. my last resort is takin it to the honda shop just hate how much ill end up paying them

Snipe
01-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Most likely its something simple or something warrenty will cover being so new.

Check the carb drain bowl make sure you didnt leave it open.

Also check the fuel line make sure its not pinched.

Another good thing is to check the float in the carb make sure it isnt sticking and cutting off fuel supply.

How I start my 400 in the cold I pump the throttle 2 or 3 times all the way just quick in and out then pull choke and let it idle for a few mins then take choke off let it idle for a good ten mins then tear out of there lol.

justinwatson88
01-18-2009, 04:29 PM
well i finally got it going got the battery fully charged and got it goin it idled real weak but after i rode it about ten mins everything went back to normal. now i know not to let it sit so long without riding it. I just thought i could push start it without the battery but honda said its gotta be charged good or it wont even run.. thanks for all the help