View Full Version : FMF Power Bomb and Q4, likes and dislikes?

400Trooper
01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I just got the FMF power Bomb and Q4 exhaust very recently, I'm not too sure if i like it. Who else has this and what are your likes and dis-likes about it? I have a head in for port and polish work, possibly bigger valves and I'm hoping i become more impressed with it. Thoughts? Ideas? Cuss or discussions?

yellow416ex
01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
what exhaust were you running before this setup? Iv'e been thinkin of tryin that same header with my pro circuit slip on but I dont have as much motor work done as you do

BlasterEaten250
01-18-2009, 09:22 PM
What do you dislike about it?

01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, I think I know what it is.

Are you dissapointed with the power? If so, that's what you should have expected when you ordered the "Q" pipe. It's designed for reduced noise output. I don't care what any of these companies preach, usually loud=more power and quiet=more restricted and less power.

If you want better performance ditch the Q muffler and pick up a different silencer.

400Trooper
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
yellow416ex - I had a White Brothers E-series without the end cap or discs and a modified stock header. It was loud and seemed to be more free flowing.

BlasterEaten250 - It is IMO too quiet, I am beginning to believe with DMC - 400ex. Although I pulled out the spark arrester and "seemed' to liven it up a bit. Next step is to open the canister and see whats going on inside!

Pipeless416
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
if you decide to ever part ways with the pbomb.. shoot me a PM :)

Pipeless416
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
oh, i forgot to mention that if you are running basically a stock engine, you could actually lose some performance since it might be too free flowing. head work with bigger valves in conjunction with the header should give you the gain you're looking for.

dalejiw25
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Ditch the FMF and run with a Duncan Fatboy 4 complete .... You won't be disappointed. The sound is mid evil. with impressive power gains throughout. An awesome unit !!!!

S.A.J
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
ive got a powerbomb header with a pro-curcuit slip-on and i love it,i never had the spark arestor outa it and i got it out today and i noticed a pretty nice dif,sounds awesome also,no complaints here about my setup.i seen sombody on here with the exact same setup too

BlasterEaten250
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 400Trooper
BlasterEaten250 - It is IMO too quiet, I am beginning to believe with DMC - 400ex. Although I pulled out the spark arrester and "seemed' to liven it up a bit. Next step is to open the canister and see whats going on inside! How is the power over stock?

sonof_perdition
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
If you ever want to sell that system let me know...

400Trooper
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
BlasterEaten250 - Honestly, I know there is more power from the 440 over the 400, and I've yet to put on the 450R carb / VRpilot adaptor set up. I'm still running the stock 400 carb. So I can't give a "true" honest answer to that yet.

The bad thing is I changed so many things all at one time, hindsight is always 100%. I should have did one thing at a time, test ride it then move to the next change!

sonof_perdition - I'll send you a PM!

Pipeless416
01-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
if you decide to ever part ways with the pbomb.. shoot me a PM :)

:)

01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 400Trooper
BlasterEaten250 - Honestly, I know there is more power from the 440 over the 400, and I've yet to put on the 450R carb / VRpilot adaptor set up. I'm still running the stock 400 carb. So I can't give a "true" honest answer to that yet.

The bad thing is I changed so many things all at one time, hindsight is always 100%. I should have did one thing at a time, test ride it then move to the next change!

sonof_perdition - I'll send you a PM!

I just realized you have a 440 kit. That Q4 is probably restricting the hell out of it and would preform much better on a stock engine.

Like I said, I don't care what these manufacturers claim... louder=more power quiet=more restricted

400Trooper
01-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey Guys - Well today I called FMF and asked the question about the Q4 being too restrictive for my application. After the typical run around I finally got the response I thought and expected.

The Q4 is designed for "trail riding" it will give the typical 400ex more grunt and noticible power increase. It is designed to be quiet, which it does do, I have first hand experience with that!

The tech I spoke with was very honest and helpful. I gave him the specifics of my engine with the upgrades and he suggested the 4.1 with the powerbomb specifically for racing applications.

So now I am at stuck. Money is getting tighter and outright buying a 4.1 just doesn't seem viable.

sonof_perdition I sent you a reply PM!! Thanks!