PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Transmission Help

mittman
01-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I got a 98 dodge dakota, 318 v8, 4x4, auto, club cab. I noticed the other day it wasn't shifting quite right especially going from 1st to 2nd gear. I'm sure the fluid has never been changed(74,000miles) and a band adjustment. I know my way around a vehicle(right now I'm doing a restore on a 85 dodge ram) but a tranny is one thing I never messed with. Should I go out and get a Haynes manual and do a band adjustment myself or have someone do it. While it's apart I want to do a filter,fluid change and band adjustment. Should some one that has little experience do this(me) or just play it safe and have a mechanic do it. I've always wanted to work on a tranny but never got to open one up. So what do you guys think Yes or No? If I shouldn't do it then give me a estimate on how much it would cost to pay a mechanic or transmission guy to do it.

Kickstarts-suck
01-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Check the fluid first, if its very dark and dirty looking I wouldn't bother changing it. Changing it could make it worse actually.

I would not adjust a transmission myself. Could make it worse.
I would have a transmission expert work on it.

KXRida
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
As far as a fluid/filter change, that's not that hard. I personally do a 12 quart flush at my brother's shop and change the filter. What transmission is it? If you're up for a possible drive to altoona, I can see if my brother can help yah out. He works at a transmission shop haha, so he'd be the guy to talk to.

mittman
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
What transmission is it?

44RE. where is his shop at

KXRida
01-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Altoona

mittman
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Altoona

well not sure when ill be going there. whats the name of the shop

Black R/T
02-19-2009, 06:56 AM
i know this thread is kind of old, but ive got a 2000 RT... had to have my tranny rebuilt at like 95K miles. it started acting up with the over-drive gear slipping, then i did a huge burnout for my cousins birthday and about a week later i was about 2 hours away from home and it got stuck in 2nd gear and would NOT come back out. 40mph at 4000rpm all the way home:mad:
i sprung for a whole bunch of hi performance parts and i did the installation/removal. cost like 3300, but 300 of that was because i had a nasty crack close to the fluid return hole on the tranny. it'll handle 800HP now though, supercharger coming soon!!

KXRida
02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Black R/T
i know this thread is kind of old, but ive got a 2000 RT... had to have my tranny rebuilt at like 95K miles. it started acting up with the over-drive gear slipping, then i did a huge burnout for my cousins birthday and about a week later i was about 2 hours away from home and it got stuck in 2nd gear and would NOT come back out. 40mph at 4000rpm all the way home:mad:
i sprung for a whole bunch of hi performance parts and i did the installation/removal. cost like 3300, but 300 of that was because i had a nasty crack close to the fluid return hole on the tranny. it'll handle 800HP now though, supercharger coming soon!!

I surely hope you have an aftermarket case if it's a 44RE. The internals may handle up to 800, but I could easily see a bell housing/case cracking. That's one of the biggest downfall's to a C4.

zyoung04
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
my buddy has a 96 its a 2wd v6 hemi its probably the best tire burning machine ive been in to date its straight bad

greenblood01
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by zyoung04
my buddy has a 96 its a 2wd v6 hemi its probably the best tire burning machine ive been in to date its straight bad

A 2wd V6 Hemi huh? Can I order one of those as a crate motor?

KXRida
02-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by greenblood01
A 2wd V6 Hemi huh? Can I order one of those as a crate motor?

lmao. Better buy a few because they're a rare engine :p

blacknblue#2
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
He aint lying boys its a Hemi............Straight bad that truck is. We know its a Hemi cause no other v6 Dak in the nation wants any haha