PDA

View Full Version : Unintended Winter Project

SandGeek
01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I blew the tranny and by the time I got the engine out I had the bike 2/3 tore down anyway so I decided to clean the 'ol girl up a bit...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/SandGeek/q001.jpg

The rest of it

:(
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/SandGeek/q002.jpg

racerdan24
01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Frame, and arms look sweet so far.....when is the rebuild due to be complete?

dunatic
01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Yo GEEK....nice job.

Steve (Oregondunes) from SLD

buck440
01-18-2009, 11:54 AM
man that looks sexy, i need to do that to mine :grr:

jcs003
01-18-2009, 12:39 PM
what did you paint the frame with? or is it powdercoat?

SandGeek
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
what did you paint the frame with? or is it powdercoat?

Ha ha. It's a 'Krylon Special'. There was a lot of rust in all the joints on the sub-frame and a little on the bottom rails of the main frame. I wire-wheeled all the rust off and primered the heck out of these areas. Then I smooth sanded the whole thing and rattled can'd it for color. By no means as protective as PC but certainly more protection than rusted bare metal. I may PC it at a later date but winter play money is going into fixing the engine.

I have the new (to me) tranny sitting in a box on the bench. The only actual part I 'need' is a new swing arm bolt as the old one didn't survive removal. Cleaning up the engine, new bearings inside, new gaskets, blah blah blah.

Toying with the idea of having the flywheel lightened. It's a 440 (bore only), flowed head, stage 2 cam, Sparks +6 key, full Big Gun exhaust. I bumped the rear sprocket up 3 teeth (gearing it down) and I have gobs of torque to play with. I think I can loose a little spinning mass without to much issue. I do need to look for a better carb. The short stoke 440 with advanced timing revs like a big dog but the stock carb may be my 'cork' at this point.

As far as when it will be done...Not sure. Between work and kids, I only work on it in small spurts. It won't be to long though cause I have a bad jones to go riding.

Oh, Hi Steve! I am hoping to give your “lil 416” a run for its money….after the bottle’s empty :p . Actually, I may bend your ear on the bottle thing eventually after I get all the other ducks in a row.

jcs003
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
looks professional. nice job. edelbrock makes a nice EX carb.

kids take all the play money.lol

tman12345
01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
nice colors

mooseracerX
01-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
looks professional. nice job. edelbrock makes a nice EX carb.

kids take all the play money.lol
I've herd that those are junk. The people that had them went with a 450r carb.
Looks like a nice build so far, I'm going to be doing mine soon too.

SandGeek
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
I've herd that those are junk. The people that had them went with a 450r carb.
Looks like a nice build so far, I'm going to be doing mine soon too.

I am a transplanted 2 stroke guy. I really like Lectrons on my 2 strokes. Never tried one on a 4 stroke but imagine they will work just as good. Most likely be the route I take unless I land a 'can't pass up' deal on a 450 carb before I pick up the Lectron.

rob_990
01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
looking good