PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Swingarm grease zerks?

midwest honda
01-17-2009, 06:46 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has every successfully put grease zerks on a stock 400ex swingarm. Grease zerks would be easier than taking the shock off and the swingarm bolt out and everything else.

bigredisb
01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
I drilled a couple of small holes in my swinger bolt, plugged one end of the bolt and installed a zerk on the other side. Just a quick pump keeps it loose.

ae13291
01-19-2009, 10:10 PM
^^^ can we see a pic of it? and what do u mean by keeps it loose? the bolt gets loose?

ae13291
01-20-2009, 02:05 AM
will my swing arm just fall when i remove the bolt?

rob_990
01-20-2009, 04:52 AM
yea unless its still connected to your shock linkage

bigredisb
01-20-2009, 08:48 AM
I wont be able to get any pics as I live in Wisconsin and am working this week in Canada. What I mean by keeps it loose is that the grease keeps the bolt from seizing in the case or the swingarm come time to remove it. Its really quick and easy to do. I use waterproof grease and it seems to keep all the moisture out of the bearings on the swingarm as well.

Gibson
01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
here's how i did mine, i put it in the empty space between the bearing and the inner seal.

You can't grease the bearings by putting a grease zerk in the swingarm bolt. How is the grease going to get through the bushing into the bearings. All you'll be doing is greasing the inside of the bushing, not the bearings
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/crg10493/100_1034.jpg

quad2xtreme
01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
actually, doing both is best. The swingarm bolt seizes to the sleeve so you need to do the first.

For the 2nd, you have to take the rubber seals out of your bearings or you probably aren't going to get any grease in the bearings anyhow. It will flow out the outer seals before it manages to push its way into the bearing past those seals.

It is way easier to just do the first and then buy Japanese bearings. You really don't need to constantly grease the bearings. Almost every aftermarket bearing is made in China. For some reason, they don't produce strong steel for their bearings.

bigredisb
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
My sleeves in the swing arm are drilled one per side as well.. Forgt to mention it. I wasnt all that worried about the bearing but really concerned with ruining a case or swingarm trying to get the bolt out.
Every time I ride in deep water when I get home I loosen the swing arm bolt (not remove the nut) and grease it to make it a little easier to push out contaminates and not put to much pressure pushing on teh gasket between the two halfs of the case. I dont think it would be a problem but I didnt want grease pushing into the case in between the halfs if that makes sense.

Gibson
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
For the 2nd, you have to take the rubber seals out of your bearings or you probably aren't going to get any grease in the bearings anyhow. It will flow out the outer seals before it manages to push its way into the bearing past those seals.

the grease does get to the bearings. i loosen my swingarm bolt, and grease comes out the dust caps and the inner seals, so the grease is going through the bearings too.

ae13291
01-20-2009, 10:30 PM
ok i will be doing this tomorrow, it will be easy since my dad is a machinist, but what i am concerned about is if i put a zerk on one end and grease it constantly, wouldent the grease find a easier path and just go into the first bearing since its least resistant? that is why i was thinking to put zerks on both ends

bigredisb
01-21-2009, 07:32 AM
On mine I see grease squirt from all the points that it exits equally. Remeber that fluid (hydraulics) has equalized pressure so if you add grease at 5 psi all the bearings and joints will feel 5 psi. Grease however will flow from the path of least resistance which could be at any point.
I didnt want the zerk on both sides because my ankle/foot would rub the zerk on the shifter side. Because the brake return spring is installed on the brake side it covers and hides the zerk.
Just my 2 cents.

ae13291
01-21-2009, 12:52 PM
ok so i removed the nut on one side, the bolt head on the clutch cover side wont even turn a bit! i tried to turn it so i can get it loose b4 i start hitting it with a hammer and it just wont come loose at all. is there something else i can do? i really dont want to strip the head on the bolt right now.

quad2xtreme
01-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ae13291
ok so i removed the nut on one side, the bolt head on the clutch cover side wont even turn a bit! i tried to turn it so i can get it loose b4 i start hitting it with a hammer and it just wont come loose at all. is there something else i can do? i really dont want to strip the head on the bolt right now.

Do a search on swingarm bolt. You will find all the info you seek.

Good luck with that and hopefully you don't have to cut it out.