PDA

View Full Version : Neutral light not on---won't start

ccdhowell
01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
This is driving me crazy on my daughter's Typhoon 90. I installed a new neutral safety switch a little while back and today when I went to start it, no green light, nothing. And the work around that made the green light stay on isn't even working. Could somebody tell me how to fix this or wire around it so it will start?

Thanks,
Chris

Ride1Rob
01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
You need to re-trace your work and find out what you did. Take what you wired in out and put it back stock to see if it solves the problem. Also, why did you wire in a neutral switch? Just curious.

ccdhowell
01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I didn't wire one in, it came with one, it started acting up, I put a new one on it, now it's acting up again. It doesn't know it's in neutral and won't let it start. Before I got the new switch in, I wired around it and grounded the wire to the neutral safety switch and that made the light come on and stay on all the time, it would start in gear, but I didn't have the problem I have now...not starting at all.

Ride1Rob
01-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm not a electronic guru but I'd try to take the tank off and check the wiring. There's a short somewhere that you probably can track down. The key can be bypassed as well.

redlinesteve
01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
My kid has the same problem. When this happens he has to get off the bike and rock it back and forth and then stomp on the shifter. I was hoping this problem was because the bike was new.

ccdhowell
01-17-2009, 10:44 PM
WE only have 37 hours on our machine so it's still pretty new, but it won't age any more if I can't get it to start.

leager-n-ky
01-18-2009, 05:48 AM
one of our 125's did this, if it was in neutral, the light was not on, he could kick start it, but not use the electric start. Every time we had this prob, it was an inline fuse under the seat, by the batterie, that either pulled a wire out of one end, or crushed the whole thing, I ended up removing the fuse and running a straight piece of wire, never had the problem again.

Ride1Rob
01-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
one of our 125's did this, if it was in neutral, the light was not on, he could kick start it, but not use the electric start. Every time we had this prob, it was an inline fuse under the seat, by the batterie, that either pulled a wire out of one end, or crushed the whole thing, I ended up removing the fuse and running a straight piece of wire, never had the problem again.

Now that you say that Jams bike did it as well. But it started doing it after I had to take his plastics off. That fuse setup is not very good and I had to close the brackets/connectors so there was a better connection. That solved the problem on his as well.

ccdhowell
01-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check the fuse and holder this morning.

ccdhowell
01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, it was the fuse holder. I wired in an automotive flat fuse holder, works great.

Funny thing is the green neutral light still doesn't come on. Oh well